Two FUN Days
This week has brought us two of the most fun days of the year...yeah right. That would be School Picture Day and Flu shot day. How I dread them.
First, School Picture Day. Sounds harmless right? Not if you are at my house. The morning of was complete and utter chaos. Everyone loathed the clothes that I laid out for them. Reilly despised her "plain jane" outfit. Kameron refused to wear the nice button up shirt and pants I had for him and changed into a skater outfit of t-shirt and vans and wasn't budging. Fighting about clothes caused the time to fly by and we were late when Reilly in a fit of tears told me that she MUST have her hair curled with hot rollers. What is a mom to do? Scream...Scream...and Scream some more. I tried channeling Linda Eyre (parenting extraordinaire) but couldn't do it. There were some four letter words...rants about ungrateful brats...and threats of butt-kicking. Then it dawned on me that I was channeling my MOTHER!!
Growing up at my house school picture day was a day to be dreaded for much the same reasons. Fights about outfits...which we always lost...hence the picture of Stacey in a tie and me in a teddy bear sweater...I was in 7th grade...and NOT HAPPY!! I wish I had a copy of that and I would post it!! My mom always had one of idea of what we should wear and we always had another. The only one who didn't give into my mom's ranting, swearing and threats was Jordi who calming said "OK" only to have had another outfit stuffed in her backpack which she changed into before pictures. This is the infamous school picture of Jordi wearing a track suit, sweatshirt tied around her waist, grubby tennis shoes, posing with her foot on a fake log. My mom nearly keeled over when she opened that package of pictures. Again...sisters...feel free to email me copies of those pictures!! ;)
As the mother of three girls close in age and all needing "picture" hair my mom came up with an ingenious idea (in her mind)!! She would only curl our bangs and the two front pieces of hair on either side of our heads...the rest was left straight. We were sternly told to make sure when it came time to have our pictures taken we were to bring the two curled pieces over our shoulders and to leave the straight pieces not showing. This would give the "allusion" that our hair was completely curled...this rarely worked. I'll let you be the judge:




7 comments:
My only stipulation on picture day is no words on the T shirt, but it is easier with boys I think. This was Quincy's first school picture year and it was the same week she smashed her face in falling off the rockwall. I think it is a sign I'll have to let picture day go.
The two curls and sister with outfit in the backpack, priceless! My sister used to sneak her bra OFF and stick it in the backpack (it was the 70's).
Jack gets two shots twice a week for allergies, has for two years. And still acts like the before Riley. So nice for you to have them all buck up this year!
Those pictures of you are the BEST!
This year I got the kids all dressed and ready before I realized that there was no ala carte package. I was too cheap to buy a packet (x3) since only two days before we had our family pictures taken and I got individual shots of each of the kids.
I love your descriptions of Reilly. It reminds me so much of my little Diva, Emma.
We get our flu shots next Thursday. Anna's been crying since she heard me make the appointments last week.
Oh Kristen, your blogs are like therapy for me, no matter what mood I am always laughing so hard that I am instantly in a better mood. :)
I never got to wear my hair down in school, so I always had that tight, eyes pulled to the side of my head look. As far as flu shots go, they suck no matter what...we are in for the big treat next week, oh joy! Wish us luck.
So good to hear your sense of humor again....it's been missed. Love ya.
Dane gets his flu shot tomorrow. Fun, fun.
Yeah, don't remind me off all the horrible school pictures....old man with rotten teeth...still haunting me.
John's mom has a wall of school pictures of all her kids and it is so funny--all four sisters are wearing the same green blouse and gold chain...just different years. Don't you love hand-me-downs.
And speaking of hand-me-downs, I went through all the bins of baby girl clothes...THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I can't believe all the darling outfits, shoes, etc. I can totally remember Reilly and little miss Ailey in them. That is such a huge lifesaver not to have to buy a ton of clothes.
You're the best!!!
I have one question...
did the image of an "eel" cross your mind while writing this blog?
I will never forget the year- I proudly showed you my 8th grade photo and was sadly told I looked like an eel! OUCH.. =)
XO-your eel faced sister-who has thankfully.. blossomed through the years!!
oh yes, we had cass pic day last week and ellie's today.
flu shots around the corner. yippee indeed! i always make the appts in a hushed whisper and don't tell the girls until they recognize the dr office then proceed to bribe with panera for lunch. shameless i know...
you are done though-- good for you!
You make me laugh so hard! What a picture perfect description of the horrors of school picture day (or a trip to the Wal-Mart photo studio if you are cheap like me) and flu shots. Haha! I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Post a Comment