It Ain't All Tofu and Salad
I have wanted to write this post for a long time. I know there are lots of you inquiring minds out there who want to know "What do you guys eat?", "Do you eat a lot of tofu?", "Is Tyler OK with just eating salad?", "Why are your kids vegetarians are you and Tyler aren't", "How do your kids get enough protein" and a slew of other questions. I am going to answer them all.
I usually describe me and Tyler as being 95% vegetarian. We eat a vegetarian diet 95% of the time. I have since learned that there is actually a word for this...we are...drum roll please...flexitarian (carnivores with vegetarian inclinations). Our kids on the other hand are 99% vegetarian...and therefore qualify as vegetarians.
Why?
Are we health nuts? No. Are we animal lovers? No. Do we want our kids to learn a healthy way of eating and become critical thinkers about what they are putting in their mouths? Yes. Do we think a vegetarian diet is the healthiest choice. Definitely. If you ever did much research on the meat industry I think you would seriously reconsider all the meat you eat too. Scary stuff.
How it all started.
If you would've asked me when I was younger if I ever thought I would eat a vegetarian diet I would have laughed in your face but then I married a diabetic and became a mother. Things changed quickly. Just by being married to Tyler I had to rethink how I cooked and what we ate...especially early on before Tyler got his pump and he had a much harder time with his blood sugar control. His pump has changed our lives and we can eat normally again. When Reilly was about 18 months old she got really sick after eating a hot dog...about that time mad cow was all over the news...and we decided to try at meatless diet for her. Things went great. She thrived. We had a two year old who begged for VEGETABLES!! How cool was that? I got tired of fixing a vegetarian meal and a non-vegetarian meal every night so we just started eating more and more vegetarian meals and guess what? We liked it! We felt much better, had more energy and were full and satisfied...without meat.
Then Kameron was born and he had a milk allergy. I was told to go off all dairy while I was breast feeding. I did and we tried being vegan (no animal products...including dairy). This was very difficult. After Kameron was weened we went back to our mostly vegetarian diet. It just suits our family so much better. BUT...if you ever read much research about the dairy industry you would seriously rethink how much dairy you eat. Scary stuff again.
Since then we have never looked back. I rarely buy meat. I cook a meat meal maybe once every two weeks (for Tyler and I) and our kids don't eat any beef or poultry. They do eat fish and eggs etc. So that's why I say they are 99% vegetarians. Also- I will use chicken stock etc. in recipes... that's not that big of a deal to us...but in almost every recipe vegetable stock works wonderfully as does cream of celery soup to replace cream of chicken. Tyler and I will usually eat meat if we go out to dinner...if we're going to eat meat it better be good! You'd be surprised at how often we find ourselves raving over the baked potato when we are out for a steak dinner. No joke.
Is Tyler OK with eating salad all the time?
He rarely eats salad. There are tons of great recipes out there. Salad is usually not on our menu.
Do you eat a lot of tofu?
Nope. I buy it occasionally but it's not a staple. We do love and eat A LOT of tempeh (a block of fermented compressed soybeans.) It is fabulous. I'm not kidding. You should try it.
How do your kids get enough protein?
There is such a thing as a vegetarian food pyramid to follow if you need it. I've been doing this for nearly 11 years and am great at food combining to make a complete protein. Our pediatrician is A-OK with it and even comes to me for recipe ideas for her vegetarian daughter. Our kids take a multi-vitamin and things have worked out fine. Kameron is on the skinny side but that is genetics...not meat.
What do you guys eat?
Funny you should ask... at the bottom of all my posts I'm going to say what we are having for dinner. This should ease your curiosity and will inspire me to be a more creative cook.
What is the upside of a vegetarian diet?
Cheaper grocery bills, kids that love fruits and vegetables (our kids even love Brussels sprouts), kids who have experienced palates (even Ailey will eat spicy Thai food), kids who are critical thinkers, and kids who early on have to stand up for our family's beliefs even when they seem strange (not a bad thing given our religion!!)
The downside?
Happy Meals!! You don't know the lengths I've had to go to to get a fish fillet put into a happy meal. But if you are lucky enough to live in Seattle (which we don't) you can get a veggie burger put in your happy meal. How cool is that? Also- people think we are crazy. Oh well. And...it sometimes stresses people out to have us over for dinner. Cook your meat...we are OK with it and our kids love to eat the side dishes. Not a problem.
What happens if your kids want to eat meat when they get older?
When they are teenagers if they want to eat meat that's their decision. We will have tried to teach them how to eat a healthy diet without a taste for meat and if they do decide to eat it they will at least think about what they eat (hopefully they will do that in all respects) ... and not just eat things because they are there.
There it is. We are weird I know.
What's for dinner?
We are having a REALLY good dinner tonight. This is one of my favorites and since it is still COLD here it will hit the spot.
Aunt Margaret's Hot and Sour Soup
1/2 onion (chopped)
2-3 garlic cloves
1 to 2 T turmeric
1/2 cup sliced almonds
salt and pepper
1 T vegetable oil
3 cans broth (chicken or veggie)
In a blender with enough water to get it going blend the onion, garlic, almonds and turmeric to make a paste. In a frying pan heat the oil and cook the paste until it browns. Add salt and pepper to taste. In a stock pot heat the broth and blend in the cooked paste.
In a bowl layer: (You want you bowl to be nearly full)
Rice (cooked)
chopped boiled eggs
sliced almonds
bean sprouts
chopped green onions
chopped cilantro
shredded chicken (optional)
Ladle the broth over the rice and all the toppings. Squeeze approximately a tablespoon of fresh lime juice onto the soup and add hot sauce to taste. I prefer the Asian hot chili sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
This is seriously SO GOOD! I crave it. My Aunt Margaret is Indonesian and is an amazing cook. I like my soup with LOTS of almonds, cilantro and lime juice. I will probably serve fruit to go along with it.
So that's what we are having for dinner! What are you having for dinner?
Monday, April 07, 2008
Posted by Kristin at 9:13 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
That is inspirational. You are brilliant and such a smart mother. The soup sounds awesome.
So are your kids conditioned to not want the meat or are then not allowed to have it? Like you said you cook meat for you and Tyler occasionally, if they wanted a taste would you say "No, you have to wait until you are a teenager?" Or if they were at a friend's house, would they feel like they were disobeying if they tasted steak?
Or do they just prefer their vegetarian pallet because it's what they know. And I am not questioning in a judgmental way, just truly curious. I am in awe, and jealous and inspired that you are giving your kids such a great start. Bravo!!
I love this!!! I haven't had a hot dog since I was 13 and went 7 years without eating red meat. I have had a difficult time figuring out meatless meals to feed my family. I can't wait to see what you are serving your family.
It is pretty remarkable how many carcinogens are found in meat and meat by-products.
Your family will live forever!
You're such a great mom! I was a vegetarian in college. It was hard to keep up though after I married a carnivore. :-) Still, I only prepare meatless meals when Andrew is out of town. He's out of town right now, so on the menu tonight is tacos with black beans instead of taco meat. Keep posting your great recipes!
I love you. I love your blog. I love your recipes. I would love to hear what you're having for dinner on a regular basis. Please keep posting!
Well I was about to comment that mexican food is my favortie and how do you do that without any meat, but here I see Carolyn's comment and I see that you use beans. Duh. Maybe I'm not smart enough to be a vegetarian...
Anyway, this is truly fascinating, and I have wondered about these things with you for a while. I am inclined to cut out a lot of meat myself, so your recipes will help! May I put in my two cents for fast and easy recipes with foods I've heard of to start? Gracias!! Like what is turmeric? Is that a spice or something? Courtney asked me once at my house where all my spices were and about fell over when I pointed to the Lawry's and said "there they are!" Cooking is not my specialty, nor do I really enjoy it, so I need fast and easy.
Very interesting post Ms Olyve.
Kristin you seriously rock! I don't know if I could do something of that nature. But it was truly interesting and inspirational all at once. Having said that hmmm our entire menu is surrounded by chicken.
Your soup sounds yummy!
Wonderful post. I am trying to get my family to eat healthier with less meat and this was an inspiring post. My daughter is almost 2 and loves fruit and vegetables. I'd like to keep her on that path. That soup sounds pretty good. I just have a few questions for you. Do you know of a cookbook with really good vegetarian recipes? If so, what is it? Do your recipes take a while or are they pretty quick? So inspiring! Thank you!
Well...I had no idea our dinners would be intriguing to anyone but my sister Stacey. :)
Kelly A.-- We have no plan...we are flying by the seat of our pants. I wish I could say that when Tyler and I got married we talked out how we would feed our children etc. but yeah that didn't happen.
So let's see here:
Are my kids conditioned to not want meat?
Yes. (Am I actually using my psychology background and I was blissfully unaware. That Freud was onto something about the unconscious mind.)
Or are they not allowed to have meat?
They are not allowed to eat meat. If they ate meat at a friend's house they would've disobeyed our rules. If they asked for a bite of meat from us we would probably say "no" but they have never done that.
I do "get" that we are ever so slightly hypocritical as parents. So far it hasn't been a problem. We've explained that we grew up in families were "healthy" eating wasn't a priority (Sorry mom...not exactly true) and that we have acquired some bad eating habits that we wish we didn't have (very true)...AND...aren't they lucky that they are starting out young on a healthy track.
So far this has been ok with them. When they do see us eating meat they look at us as revolting and unenlightened. Then they like to ask what animal we are eating...that pretty much kills my appetite right there...while they laugh hysterically.
Here are a few snippets from actual conversations:
Reilly: What animal are you eating?
Me: Pig
Reilly: Have you seen pigs?
Me: Yes
Reilly: They are disgusting.
Me: I know.
Reilly: You are disgusting.
Me: I know.
Once we were somewhere where the smell of cows was particularly pungent and Reilly said to me: Do you smell those cows? "Yep" I said and she said "Is your mouth watering?"
So..while our kids might be healthy eaters they are sassy talkers.
Tiffany-- Turmeric is a spice and you can buy it at the grocery store...it's yellow. Is turmeric not an ingredient in your marvelous twice baked potatoes? ;)
Staci--Thanks for your comment!! :) There are some great vegetarian cookbooks out there...none that I can think of to recommend though. I basically have just taken regular favorite recipes and removed the meat or made the meat optional. But I have gotten some out of various vegetarian cookbooks. Some veg. cookbooks freak me out...they're all full of tofu, turnips, quinoa, and bulgar wheat...not too tasty to me!! There are some good recipes online but you sometimes have to sift through the weird ones.
To all--Pretty much everything I make is quick and easy...as you shall soon see. ;)
Well said Kristin! And yes, I am always interested in what you (and anyone else for that matter) are making for dinner....simply because I like to get new ideas.
Last night I made Hannah's fabulous White Italian Pizza--it is so good, and totally easy. I put sausage, artichoke hearts and cherry tomatoes on it, but you could omit the sausage. I bet my pizza-lovin' little nieces and nephew would love it!!
Tonight I am making steak (yes, I married a carnivore!!), baked rice with shallots (new recipe I am trying out), and salad.
XOXOOX Stacey
Post a Comment