Friday, September 12, 2008

Book Reviews up the Wazoo

I've been reading lots of books but not taking the time to write reviews. So in case you are looking for a good book to read here are a few reviews.

#34 Lie Down In Darkness by William Styron



This 1951 novel by William Styron won several literary awards. It is the tale of the dysfunctional Loftis family...their betrayals, infidelities, and disappointed love that ultimately results in the suicide of their daughter Peyton. The story is told as the family accompanies her body to the cemetery.

I really wanted to like this book...in fact I really wanted to LOVE this book. But I didn't. This book was recommended to me by my Uncle Steve. He LOVES it. So do lots of other people I know. I was surprised that I didn't. I usually love books of this genre. Dark Southern novels...quirky characters...psychological turmoil. It didn't happen for me with this book. I really wanted to feel something... anything for the characters...but I didn't. Maybe that was the point...all I felt was cold and remote like the relationships they had in the story. But in the end I want to "feel" something and I didn't.

The writing was excellent...the stream of conscious narrative in one part of the book...amazing. But all in all, it just didn't do it for me.

My rating: OK

#35 Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

After Lie Down in Darkness I needed something lighter to read. As I still hadn't read the final book (or so I thought) in the vampire series I thought I would. I feel just the same as I did reading the rest of them. Entertaining...cheesy...Bella Swan is STILL the most annoying character on the planet. I just constantly kept asking myself...Couldn't Edward (and Jacob for that matter) get someone better? Really? In a hundred years of immortality this is the best Edward could get? But saying that I read it...and I'll read the next one too. Could someone please just make this girl a vampire and shut her the heck up!?!

My rating: Better than OK but not quite Good.

#36 Thirtynothing by Lisa Jewell

This book I found at the lake...someone's cast-off. As there wasn't much else of interest to read I read it. It is the story of two 30-something Londoners, Dig and Nadine, who are best friends and unlucky in love. After a decade of failed romances they decide to get their lives together and find their perfect mates.



This book had a lot of charm and some very funny scenes. Laugh out loud scenes. It was sassy British fiction and romantic comedy ala Bridget Jone's Diary. The problem...literally the most horrendous language imaginable. I'm not easily offended and I was cringing throughout the book. Which is unfortunate because otherwise I would have really liked it.


My rating: would be Good but due to horrible language is just OK.


#37 The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

This is the book that I had been savoring all summer to read. A thick historical fiction that came HIGHLY recommended. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Everywhere I went people raved to me about this book. In Costco as I picked it up a woman just gushed about it, at swim lessons other parents told me how much they loved it, literally everywhere I went fans of this book stopped me to exclaim their love for Pillars of the Earth.

I opened it up and was hooked right away...a hanging...a curse...a mystery. Good stuff. It is the story of the humble mason, Tom Builder and his family...The quirky Ellen and her odd son Jack...the lovable pious monk Philip...the lovely Aliena...and the treacherous Hamleigh Family...and the conniving Bishop Waleran Bigod.

I started out really liking this book...but the "true" main character of this book was the cathedral and all the details of the architecture and building process literally bored me to tears. Now don't get me wrong there are people who probably love those parts of the book...architects...engineers etc. I think my husband Tyler would really like it but not me. I felt like it really slowed the story down...bogged it down. That is my main complaint...the story dragged too much for me...with not enough pay off in the end. But saying that there were aspects of this story that I really loved. The whole complex world of monastery life that I learned about, the love story of Aliena and Jack, and the EVIL EVIL Hamleighs.

Sometimes as I read I hoped that the book would be worth the time and effort it required. Was it? For the most part yes. But is it one of the best books I have ever read like I hoped it would be? No.

My rating: Good.

#38 A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

This book was given to me for Christmas by my friend, Carolyn. This is another book I have had on hold for the perfect time to savor it. This summer was the time. I really loved The Kite Runner so I couldn't wait to start this book.

This book tells the story of two incredible women...Mariam and Laila. Two very different women who face unbelievable adversity in Kabul, Afghanistan, personal tragedy, loss of freedom, and national tragedy and yet form this amazing friendship. This story is truly the story of the triumph of the human spirit despite overwhelming odds.

I LOVED this book!! I loved the characters, the story, the story within the story, the insiders view of Afghanistan during the last several decades, and that it is all seen through the eyes of two women. I really liked that this book also told the story of the amazing love between Laila and Tariq. I loved this book from start to finish. I was in tears through out and took away such gratitude for the country that I live in and the personal freedoms I enjoy. This book is a must-read!!

My rating: EXCELLENT!! Read this book. Even better than the Kite Runner in my opinion.

5 comments:

andrea said...

I totally agree about A Thousand Splendid Suns. I too thought it was better than "Kite Runner." I read this on our trip to Brazil and finished it on an in-country flight. I was shedding tears on the plane. The ending was so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! There is too much to comment about. Sorry it has been such a sick couple of weeks. I know that its difficult having your favorite three not in town anymore! But really Kristin try to cope with it. Moving on, congrats Johnson kids for all you are doing and have done since we talked last. Hopefully we can all talk on the phone soon as I am feeling like e-mails and messages are not personal enough lately. We love and miss all of you too much to describe. Kristin, your blog truly is a feast for the eyes! Keep up the good work!

Kristin said...

Thanks Kirk...you really know how to put a smile on my face!! :)

jenny said...

My favorite part of your reviews was the rating. I will have to check out some of the "better" ones.

Naomi said...

Splendid Suns is the best book I have read in a really long time. It was such an amazing glimpse into the triumph of the human spirit. It too, made me so thankful for the freedoms we enjoy here. Loved your reviews.