Pre-In Law Visit Psychosis
Have you ever been talking to someone about something random and suddenly it's everywhere...the subject of your conversation...and you think....hmmm odd. Am I the only person this happens too? Like have you ever had a personal inside joke with someone and some how it ends up on Saturday Night Live as a skit? This has happened to me more times than you would believe. Is my unconscious tapping into some universal vibe or are those satellites really powerful and I am extremely interesting?
It has happened again. On Sunday Tyler and I were having an intense discussion on feminism. Oh yes...that's how we while away our Sunday afternoons. What do you do? Nap? Anyway...we were having a most interesting discussion. Is feminism dead? Dying? Or is the world going all Gloria Steinem again. I am a bit of an enigma to Tyler. I am a feminist wrapped in the riddle of a satisfied and contented hausfrau. How is this possible? To Tyler you are one or the other. To me it is clear that a happy hausfrau in 2010 is a feminist without question. Duh?
(Do note that I still find it impossible to actually call myself either a housewife (gag) or a homemaker (double gag). I enjoy hausfrau.)
Several days later via Facebook Tyler's cousin's wife posts a link to a great blog; which is quite funny and you should check it out. What do my eyes light upon but my very own argument with a little pizazz thrown in.
From kasm.blogspot.com from the post "You Can't Have It All":
"... I think there is an interesting feminist backlash going on right now in the form of people who are really into homemaking and claim to be anti-feminist. They can do and say what they want. That's part of feminism. Actually, it's just part of being a nice, fair, person who lets other people live their life. What do I care? I happen to not be good at homemaking, or maybe I'd go all Martha Stewart on you. I think a lot of people my age are "rebelling" or asserting their individuality by embracing the 50s because maybe they grew up in the 70s and 80s with a working mom and Claire Huxtabel so now baking bread in heels and an apron seems quaintly retro and awesome. And their mom's are going, "Red lipstick and homemade cupcakes? Yeah--we remember Donna Reed just a little too well for it to be awesome to us." Kind of like how I remember baggy fluorescents and stinky plastic flats just a little too well for the 80s to be awesome to me."
My argument in a nutshell. I can guarantee you that Tyler will read this and say:"that's what you were saying?!" But that was my argument with a dash of wartalk, the gospel, and a sprinkling of patriotism thrown in for good measure.
What was the point of this post? Who knows. I'm hiding in our bedroom trying to avoid having to get my house all spic and span due to the imminent arrival of the inlaws. It is nearly impossible to get my house spic and span due to the fact that every time I turn around some child of mine is making a mess in the area I just cleaned and snacking on something crumbly in every room BUT the kitchen and if they don't stop I might have yet another psychotic break!! Did I mention that I was a satisfied and contented hausfrau?
To top it all off tonight is pack meeting for scouts...another enigma...is scouting a kind of cultish worship of the Jungle Book with a Native American vibe thrown in for flava? Why does being called akela give me the creeps? Discuss.
This is what happens to me before the arrival of the inlaws...I clearly lose my mind...that and my neck has seized. Later.
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Posted by Kristin at 3:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Ah, your mother has done her job well.... a feminist in a hausfra
wrapper!! the best of the best --
Can we say... you make your mother proud in so many ways !! love mom
You are hilarious! Your posts always make me giggle :)
Akela makes me want to avomita. Scouts is a creepy phenomenon that I will never understand. My son will be 11 next week.....farewell to pack meetings. Hooray. And I feel your "visiting in-laws" pain.
Hope you don't mind if I adopt "hausfrau" as my new occupational title! Love it. Glad you liked the blog link, it's one of my new favorites.
Kati
Post a Comment