Book Review
This book series was recommended to me by a friend. I am not a mystery lover or spy book enthusiast but I decided to give it a try.
From Goodreads:
Mrs. Virgil (Emily)
Pollifax of New Brunswick, New Jersey, was a widow with grown children.
She was tired of attending her Garden Club meetings. She wanted to do
something good for her country. So, naturally, she became a CIA agent.
This time, the assignment sounds as tasty as a taco. A quick trip to
Mexico City is on her agenda. Unfortunately, something goes wrong, and
our dear Mrs. Pollifax finds herself embroiled in quite a hot Cold
War--and her country's enemies find themselves entangled with one
unbelievably feisty lady.
The book was published in the 1960s and has a dated feel and tone. It also has an antiquated political storyline in a Pre-Internet world but it was that part that I actually enjoyed. I liked the retro-factor. As for the rest of it...uh...not so much. I just didn't really get into it. I kept thinking that this was a book for the Murder She Wrote crowd and Mrs. Pollifax, in my mind, looked just like Angela Landsbury. It could have been a made-for-TV movie from the 80's. Imagine when I found out after reading the book that it WAS made into a made-for-TV movie starring none other than ANGELA LANDSBURY!! Craziness.
This book series is well-beloved and that is wonderful but it just wasn't my particular cup of tea. It didn't hold my interest as it wasn't really a mystery but more of a spy tale sans mystery. So yeah. Not for me, but other people really love it. If you liked the show Murder She Wrote you will probably thoroughly enjoy it.
My Rating: Okay...but not for me.
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
Posted by Kristin at 10:21 AM
Labels: Book Review
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment