Friday, September 12, 2014

Utah Day 3

Utah Day #3: FINALLY

I am finally finishing up this little trip because life is going at the speed of light and I am getting way behind on posting. So here it goes...


Day 3 we got up and met my brother Kirk for breakfast in Sugar House. We had been wanting to try one of the waffle places that seem to be the all rage in Utah these days. (No waffle craze in Spokane...shocking I know!) We met Kirk at Bruges Waffles and Frites and the place was PACKED!! Nowhere to sit...nowhere to stand. So we placed our order and took it back to Kirk's house. Meki and the kids were out of town so it was just Kirk and the dogs. The waffles were delicious... although I thought a tad expensive for a waffle. I still want to try the famed Waffle Love food truck though. I have since found one place here in Spokane that serves the Liege style waffles but they weren't even half as good as at Bruges.

It was so nice to have a few hours to kick back, chat, and catch up on all that is going on in Kirk's life. He wasn't able to come up to the lake this summer and he was SORELY missed. I love that brother of mine and loved seeing all the projects that he has been working on. Very cool.

Our kids loved playing with his enormous dogs...

Milo is Bryn's favorite!! She just adores that dog and doesn't let him out of her sight or clutches whenever we visit. We hear about "Sweet Milo" for weeks and weeks afterwards.


The newest addition to Kirk's family is Kuma a Landseer Newfoundland. He is gorgeous but an enormous beast of a puppy!!




The older kids like Kuma best but he kind of freaked out Ailey and Bryn with his gargantuan size.

All to soon it was time to go, but we made one more quick stop on our way out of town at the This Is
The Place Heritage Park. I sometimes forget that only our older kids have seen some of these sites.


It was fun to walk around and talk about church history. While we were there Reilly's YW leaders texted her a video of our Bishop opening up her envelope from our area mission president and reading  Reilly where she was called to serve for her Mini-Mission. (Spokane Valley, WA) Reilly was scheduled to head out on her mini- mission the VERY NEXT DAY which was the reason why our trip to Utah was so super speedy quick.


It was roasting hot and hazy and we were looking forward to getting back to the cooler temps of the Pacific Northwest. We bought a couple of these icy beverages for the road and headed out.


Sarsparilla!! You don't see those every day!!

On our way out of town we drove around the U of U campus for a little college tour. Lucky for us the U held no allure for any of the Johnson kids. Whew!

We made another stop in Rexburg, Idaho for another little college tour. It has been years since I have been in Rexburg and not much has changed. We drove to the temple so Reilly could add another temple picture to her collection and let the kids out of the car to run around for a bit. The wind is UNREAL. I am so not a fan...of wind...or of Rexburg.


Look at the at flag whipping in the wind!!

We walked around the grounds and took pictures. There were quite a few other families doing the same thing. The temple and grounds are really beautiful. Rexburg not so much.


Our attempt at a picture of the kids. Wind...it brings out a rage in me. Seriously.


Bryn and Ailey holding onto the doors of the temple...a la..."I Love To See the Temple....I'm going there someday..." To get those two girls to even touch the temple doors took some major cajoling and near threats on my part. They thought for sure they would go to jail...or maybe hell...for even TOUCHING those doors. So funny!! Finally they did it.

After that we booked it on towards home, arrived around 1 am, and headed straight for bed so we could get up early the next day and send Reilly off for a week to live and serve with the sister missionaries. That's a post all it's own. Perhaps now that the kids are all finally back in school I will have time to catch up on this long neglected blog. Until then...


0 comments: