Monday, May 16, 2016

April: Things I am Loving

April: Things I am Loving

1.) Sushi



Let's just put a hundred exclamation points after that. I cannot get enough. This meal in particular. It is me and Tyler's go-to order these days.  I don't know if it is the warmer weather or what but it could be my meal of choice every single day. I have had this exact sushi at least once a week all through April (and it is still going strong in May.) I always want the exact same order. I rarely deviate. So good!!

2.) Rain Jackets




This is perplexing. I have lived in the PNW for almost 15 years and have never felt compelled to purchase one. What have I been thinking? It is an absolute necessity. I chalk it up to the mystifying hood aversion I never really knew I had and yet did. I haven't had a coat with a hood since circa 1979. It must have started with my 80s bangs and not wanting to deflate my 'do. This year, however, in the midst of a blizzard right before Christmas I broke down and bought a long coat WITH a hood just so I didn't always have snow down my back. I put that coat on and it was like nirvana. What have I been thinking all these years... hoods = amazing. So back to the rain jacket. Reilly has a wardrobe full of them...North Face...many colors. I always thought they were a stupid waste of money. Why would anyone want to wear a "windbreaker" like my grandma? They aren't warm. I'm not a runner. They don't look comfy. What's the big deal? My last windbreaker was also worn in 1979. But then Tyler and I started spending more time in Portland and everyone was wearing them...with hoods...and they weren't drowned rats like we were. Portlandians were outside enjoying nature in their hooded rain jackets...Unlike me stuck inside and crying with annoyance when my outside plans were thwarted due to rain. Hmmm...interesting. Then Tyler suprisingly requested one for Christmas.  I bought him a nice black North Face. He wears it everywhere. Then the temps started going up and the rain started coming down. It was too hot to wear my coat with the hood to keep out the rain. What's a girl to do? Finally the light dawned...rain jacket with hood also = amazing. I went to buy myself a cute North Face but liked the cut and color of the Columbia one better so went with that. Mine also has a hood that rolls up...and I particularly like the joy of wearing the collar all popped up 80's style...nay... I love it. So I may be late to the party but I am now fully on board.


3.) Chimichurri Sauce



Again, where has this been all my life? This tasty tangy saucy condiment is outstanding. I could eat it on everything and am currently trying to.

4.) Lilacs


This really should be number one. 



5.) The Girls Book Series by Rachel Hollis



This is a book series that I heard about on a podcast (yep, still loving podcasts). The author was being interviewed and I loved her. She was hilarious. Rachel Hollis has a whole lifestyle blog called the Chic Site and a great YouTube channel as well. I didn't think I would like the books but surprisingly I did!! They were a lot of fun (book reviews coming later). They are super quick reads. I think I read the three novels and the novella in a week. They are light-hearted chic lit. Cute, funny, awkward, charming and romantic. Perfect summer or poolside reading. They are delightfully entertaining and the Kindle editions which I read...are super cheap.

0 comments: