Summer Book Reviews: Part 1
1.) The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey
From Goodreads:
When her widower father drowns at sea, Gemma Hardy is taken from her native Iceland to Scotland to live with her kind uncle and his family. But the death of her doting guardian leaves Gemma under the care of her resentful aunt, and it soon becomes clear that she is nothing more than an unwelcome guest at Yew House. When she receives a scholarship to a private school, ten-year-old Gemma believes she's found the perfect solution and eagerly sets out again to a new home. However, at Claypoole she finds herself treated as an unpaid servant. To Gemma's delight, the school goes bankrupt, and she takes a job as an au pair on the Orkney Islands. The remote Blackbird Hall belongs to Mr. Sinclair, a London businessman; his eight-year-old niece is Gemma's charge..Set in Scotland and Iceland in the 1950s and '60s, The Flight of Gemma Hardy is a captivating homage to Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre--is a sweeping saga that resurrects the timeless themes of the original but is destined to become a classic all its own.
This book was a perfect summer vacation book. Perfect dockside reading. I thought it was a lot of fun and couldn't put it down. I love a book set in Scotland. Plus, in this book, some of the action takes place in Iceland and while I was reading it a friend and her family were traveling in Iceland and I was following along on their journey via Instagram and it added an incredible richness to my reading. I normally don't love adaptations of other books especially beloved classics but I thought that Livesey did a good job and I often forgot that was a retelling. That is hard to do. The one thing that didn't work for me was the time period. The way that this story read had me picturing an early time...late 1800s, early 1900s, maybe even the 1920s or the 1930s. The late 1950s and 1960s didn't work for me and I found references to the time period jarring. I often skimmed past those because they didn't work for me in this story. I just ignored them and kept picturing them at an early time when I could. I also thought that the last half of the book was weak and that took the novel down a notch for me. I still thoroughly enjoyed this book and found it to be a lovely vacation read. I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
My Rating: Enjoyable
2.) Where The Light Gets In by Kimberly Williams-Paisley
I am trying to read more nonfiction. This book came highly rated from several people and I thought I would give it a try. It broke my heart.
From Goodreads:
Many know Kimberly Williams-Paisley as the bride in the popular Steve Martin remakes of the Father of the Bride movies, the calculating Peggy Kenter on Nashville, or the wife of country music artist, Brad Paisley. But behind the scenes, Kim was dealing with a tragic secret: her mother, Linda, was suffering from a rare form of dementia that slowly crippled her ability to talk, write and eventually recognize people in her own family. Where the Light Gets In tells the full story of Linda’s illness—called primary progressive aphasia—from her early-onset diagnosis at the age of 62 through the present day. Kim draws a candid picture of the ways her family reacted for better and worse, and how she, her father and two siblings educated themselves, tried to let go of shame and secrecy, made mistakes, and found unexpected humor and grace in the midst of suffering.
This is a powerful and moving account of a relationship between a mother and daughter as they navigate the unknown waters of a terrible diagnosis. Oftentimes the author is brutally honest...even when it doesn't put her in the best light or her relationship with her mother. I respected that so much. Kimberly Williams-Paisley tells us very candidly what it is like to have a parent suffering from dementia. It is hard. She doesn't sugar coat anything and there are no attempts to spin things in an inspiring way. It is just real and real can be hard and painful and unflattering. As the author described her mother's decline and the effect it had on her family; it was painful and yet important, to read. I think this book is a must-read for everyone. Even if you don't have a family member suffering from something like this; the insight that it gives into what is truly involved in being a caregiver, and the toll that this kind of devastating diagnosis takes on family members, was enlightening. I appreciate the awareness that this book provides and the compassion that comes because of it. I highly recommend it.
My Rating: A poignant and candid read.
3.) Persuasion by Jane Austen
I am also trying to read more classics. Jane Austen was at the top of my list. This was my first reading of Persuasion. So enjoyable.
From Goodreads:
Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend Lady Russell that such a match is unworthy. The breakup produces in Anne a deep and long-lasting regret. When later Wentworth returns from sea a rich and successful captain, he finds Anne's family on the brink of financial ruin and his own sister a tenant in Kellynch Hall, the Elliot estate. All the tension of the novel revolves around one question: Will Anne and Wentworth be reunited in their love?
I truly enjoyed getting to know Anne and her Captain Wentworth. This novel has a much more refined feel to it. The heroine is older, the author is older, and the results are delightful. I was immediately captivated and drawn into the story. It is beautifully written...of course...it's Austen and it makes you feel ALL THE THINGS. Just what I want in a Jane Austen novel. I loved all the play on words, play on theme, and plays on emotions. It was a wonderful and captivating read. And the letter...THE LETTER...swoon!! Pride and Prejudice still reigns supreme as my favorite Austen novel but this one has a place in my heart too.
My Rating: Wonderful
4.) For the Love by Jen Hatmaker
From Goodreads:
The popular writer, blogger, and television personality reveals with humor and style how Jesus' extravagant grace is the key to dealing with life's biggest challenge: people.
This is not my usual genre. Very rarely do I read nonfiction by religious authors but I LOVED IT!! I became familiar with Jen Hatmaker when I heard her being interviewed on a podcast that I enjoy. She was hilarious. Her books were referenced several times on previous podcasts so I decided to see what all the hype was about. I checked her book out from the library and I literally laughed until I cried. I mean I seriously laughed out loud. Sometimes even in public...depending on where I happened to be reading. Throughout the book I kept thinking, "This author GETS ME!" The book also made me stop and think about social issues and ways to help in new and thought-provoking ways. The author also made me think about Grace in ways that I never have before. I love it when books do things like that!!
This book had some wonderful food for thought without coming across as preachy and boring. Jen Hatmaker is super relatable, honest, and real. Reading the different essays is like having a fun conversation with a hilarious friend. You cover all the bases...friends, family, fashion, pop culture, religion, food, world issues, and all the deep personal stuff too. This book definitely gave me cause for reflection in so many areas of my life. It is an encouraging, uplifting, and quick read.
My Rating: Hilarious and, oh so, refreshing!!
5.) Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
From Goodreads:
"...this beloved author digs deep into her own generative process to share her wisdom and unique perspective about creativity. With profound empathy and radiant generosity, she offers potent insights into the mysterious nature of inspiration. She asks us to embrace our curiosity and let go of needless suffering. She shows us how to tackle what we most love, and how to face down what we most fear. She discusses the attitudes, approaches, and habits we need in order to live our most creative lives. Balancing between soulful spirituality and cheerful pragmatism, Gilbert encourages us to uncover the “strange jewels” that are hidden within each of us."
This book has received so much hype. A book for the creative types! I am a creative type so I thought that I would really enjoy it. Nope. Maybe it's not that surprising... I hated Eat, Pray, Love too. Gilbert readily acknowledges that she is an author that people either love or hate. #truth. I guess I fall into the hate or at least the strongly dislike category. Maybe she is better talking about her experiences in person rather than on the page. I know someone who heard her speak at a conference and was completely inspired. I've also heard that her TED talks are better. Maybe I will give those a try and see if it changes my opinion.
I loved the premise of inspiring creativity; I just absolutely hated her tone. It's too pretentious, too cheesy, and Elizabeth Gilbert is too full of herself. That said, there were a few nuggets:
-We are all creative in some way
-Follow your curiosity
-Make time to be creative
-If you are visited by a creative idea...pay attention
-Don't be held back by fear
Big Magic is nothing ground-breaking and is not for me.
My Rating: Skip it
6.) The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan
From Goodreads:
"American Rebecca Porter was never one for fairy tales. Her twin sister, Lacey, has always been the romantic who fantasized about glamour and royalty, fame and fortune. Yet it's Bex who seeks adventure at Oxford and finds herself living down the hall from Prince Nicholas, Great Britain's future king. And when Bex can't resist falling for Nick, the person behind the prince, it propels her into a world she did not expect to inhabit, under a spotlight she is not prepared to face...Dating Nick immerses Bex in ritzy society, dazzling ski trips, and dinners at Kensington Palace with him and his charming, troublesome brother, Freddie. But the relationship also comes with unimaginable baggage: hysterical tabloids, Nick's sparkling and far more suitable ex-girlfriends, and a royal family whose private life is much thornier and more tragic than anyone on the outside knows. The pressures are almost too much to bear, as Bex struggles to reconcile the man she loves with the monarch he's fated to become."
This book is all kinds of fun!! Escapism at it's finest. A funny quick read. It's perfect summer time reading. I am not above enjoying good ol' chick lit every now and then. I especially enjoy British chick lit and this is pure Kate Middleton and Prince William Fan Fiction. I enjoy the royals. I enjoy romance novels. I loved it!
My Rating: A fun frolicking romp!
7.) The Lake House by Kate Morton
From Goodreads:
Living on her family’s idyllic lakeside estate in Cornwall, England, Alice Edevane is a bright, inquisitive, innocent, and precociously talented sixteen-year-old who loves to write stories. But the mysteries she pens are no match for the one her family is about to endure…One midsummer’s eve, after a beautiful party drawing hundreds of guests to the estate has ended, the Edevanes discover that their youngest child, eleven-month-old Theo, has vanished without a trace. What follows is a tragedy that tears the family apart in ways they never imagined. A lush, atmospheric tale of intertwined destinies, this latest novel from a masterful storyteller is an enthralling, thoroughly satisfying read.
Oh Kate Morton...you had me at "Lake House". Could there be a more perfect title for a lake girl? I think not. What? Add in three sisters and one brother. My exact sibling configuration. Throw in an intriguing mystery and an abandoned house. I'm sold.
I am a huge Kate Morton fan. I have had this book in reserve as a luscious treat saved for a special occasion. Finally the occasion presented itself and I dove in. The book was just as I thought it would be, beautifully written, twisty and atmospheric, complex family relationships, secrets, and a gorgeous setting. I savored every minute and enjoyed it immensely. One of my top three Kate Morton novels. I loved it!
My Rating: Enchanting







2 comments:
I often pop over to your blog (from Lucy's blog) to see what you are reading. I, too, read the Kimberly Paisley-Williams book about her family's experience with her mother's dementia. Like you, I found it heart-rending. Especially so since my own mother has recently begun the decline into dementia (after receiving anesthesia for a heart procedure a little over a year ago). I was struck by the similarities of experience. I share that sense of guilt over being so far away (my mother is in FL, while I am in IN). My father is attempting to provide 24/7 care for my mother and is in great denial, both about her condition and about his own limitations.
Thanks for offering up your reviews. I have added a few more titles to my ever-growing list of books-to-be-read.
Hi Wendy!! Thanks for commenting. I enjoy your book reviews as well. So fun. I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through. So heart-breaking. I really appreciated being educated on what is involved in caring for a family member suffering from dementia and gaining a deeper understanding of the terrible toll that it takes on a family and, in particular, the caregiver. It was an eye-opening read. You and your family are in my prayers. Take care!
Post a Comment