52 Week Challenge: Question 13
Where did you go to elementary school? What was school like for you?
Obviously this is NOT a 52 Week Challenge!! I think I am on year three. Oh well...I am still plugging along and it will take as long as it takes, right? I still think these are important questions to answer.
Elementary School:
I went to multiple elementary schools. I went to Kindergarten at Washington Elementary in Rexburg, Idaho. I went to 1st and 2nd grade at Sharon Elementary in Orem, Utah. I went to 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade at Sage Creek Elementary in Springville, Utah. I went to 6th grade at Orchard Elementary in Orem, Utah.
Despite attending quite a few elementary schools I really enjoyed school and made friends easily. I always had a good group of friends. I loved to read and was a good student. I was organized, a hard-worker, and a people pleaser. I loved parent teacher conference because I loved to hear all of the good things that my teachers would say about me. Usually the only critique was that "Kristin can be a bit chatty."
My teachers were:
Kindergarten...Miss Cheryl
1st Grade...Mrs. Beal
2nd Grade...Mrs. Neubert
3rd Grade...Mr. Jacobson
4th Grade...Mr. Whiting
5th Grade...Mr. Strong
6th Grade...Mr. Barlow
I particularly liked going to school at Sharon Elementary and at Sage Creek Elementary. No surprise there since I was at those schools for the longest amount of time. Sage Creek was my absolute favorite and whenever elementary school is mentioned that is where my mind instantly returns.
I was in afternoon kindergarten which I always thought was so superior to morning kindergarten. (Reilly and Kameron were in afternoon kindergarten too.) In my mind, my school and classroom looked exactly like the school and classroom in the book Ramona the Pest. I remember thinking that when I was in Kindergarten and that book was being read to us and it has stuck with me for all of these years. We had naps on little rugs and the person who was the quietest got to be the wake up fairy with a wand. I LOVED being the wake up fairy!! We had cubbies and the smell that I associate with kindergarten is the smell of rubber gum erasers.
I can smell those right now just looking at the picture! Whenever I am at an arts supply store or an office supply store that has these particular erasers you can find me sniffing them and thinking...Aaahh... the smell of Kindergarten.
I loved Kindergarten. My best friend's name was Heidi. Her parents were building a house by themselves and only the basement was done and they lived in the basement. I thought that was pretty cool. My boyfriend was a boy named Anthony who was a 4th grader who used to get into his mom's jewelry box and steal jewelry and give it to me. My mom was always having to return these *gifts* to his mother!! There was also a boy in my carpool whose name was Stanley. Stanley used to lick all around his mouth as a nervous habit so he always had a red chappy ring all around his mouth. If my mom ever saw us so much as lick our lips she would say, "Don't be a Stanley!!" I have used this phrase with my own children!! Poor Stanley. I am sure he turned out to be a wonderful person.
![]() |
| Sharon Elementary in Orem, Utah |
I accidentally found Mrs. Beal a few years ago on Facebook through a mutual Utah friend. She had stopped teaching when she had children...in fact our class was the only class that she ever taught full time. She even had a picture of our class on her FB page. I sent her a message and she was as charming and delightful as I remembered her.
My 2nd grade teacher's name was Mrs. Neubert. She was awesome and loved parties. When she was my teacher one of her sons was on a mission to Hawaii. We used to hear all about his experiences and adventures. Once we had a big Hawaiian Luau. We got leis and ate pineapple and poi. We even got to crack open coconuts. I remember thinking that it was the greatest party ever!! We had big birthday parties with punch and cupcakes...even the kids who had birthdays in the summer like me were assigned a time to celebrate during the school year! We celebrated every holiday in a big way. We went on amazing field trips...the zoo, the Monte L. Bean Museum, Liberty Park, BYU, and even a beaver farm off of Geneva Road!! That beaver farm still remains a highlight!! Tyler and I were just talking about that place last week. I was late for school that day and the school bus had already left for the field trip without me. (I was a latch key kid and a dawdler.) I called my Grandma McKinnon from the office and she immediately came to get me and drove like a bat out of !@#$ trying to catch up with the school bus. Which she did!! She was not going to have her "little sweetheart" miss out on seeing that beaver farm!! We also learned about Egypt and I thought that it was fascinating and terrifying. That was the year the King Tutankhamen exhibit came to Utah. I also attribute my love of audiobooks to Mrs.Neubert. Whenever we did art we got to listen to a book on record. Our class particularly loved all of the Francis books...Bread and Jam for Francis and Best Friends for Francis etc. I still adore those books and have shared them with my kids who also loved them. I had a blue plastic Snoopy lunch box and whenever I think of 1st and 2nd grade I always think of the smell of a fresh box of crayons (still a favorite smell) and the smell of my blue Snoopy lunch box which was NOT a favorite smell. My best friends were Lori and Renee. The boys I liked were Richard and Teddy. My favorite thing to play a recess was kissing tag... with tether ball a close second!! Ha ha!
When I was in college I worked at the front desk of the Howard Johnson Hotel. One of my co-workers was one of Mrs. Neubert's sons. I was so excited when I made the connection...and even more excited when she came into work one day to say hello!
![]() |
| Sage Creek Elementary School in Springville, Utah |
My best friends in third grade were Lori and Amy (and my neighbor Christine who went to another school.) At the time that I moved in one of their best friends had just moved away...Britney...I heard over and over how amazing she was and how they all missed her so much and I hated her! She once came to Lori's birthday slumber party and I was right...I didn't like her at all and she didn't like me! Later in 7th grade... Britney and I would become best friends and would stay that way all through jr. high and high school until I moved to Kansas City. So crazy!!
In third grade I was obsessed with wearing knickers and zip up riding boots. It was hilarious when those riding boots came back into style. Lori and I loved the movie Grease and got satin jackets to wear. We also loved the movie Xanadu and we each got the record and would sing all of the songs. I loved roller skating and slumber parties. I liked to play kickball at recess. We had mini-courses at school every few weeks. That meant we could sign up for different classes like computers (this was even before floppy disks...we inserted a cassette tape into the computer drive!), macrame, pottery, gymnastics, basketball...and things like that. It was really fun! Our auditorium/lunchroom/gym was the same big room and during lunch we would sneak onto the stage and go back behind the heavy big curtain where there was a trampoline and we would jump on the trampoline in the dark all lunch recess.
This was also the year that I got bullied a lot for not being active in the LDS church. Utah in the 70s was rough for inactive kids. My mom had stopped going to church and my step-dad moved in with us. The girls in my class were okay...but I remember the boys being pretty mean when they realized that I was supposed to be in their ward but didn't ever come to church. The worst was the boy I liked the most...my neighbor, classmate, and crush Brad...who is now a dear family friend all of these years later but he could be a real jerk and a bully at times...and yet I still loved him. He was also my next door neighbor.
In 4th grade I had my very favorite elementary school teacher, Mr. Whiting. He was an absolute character!! He was funny and liked to tease. He had twinkly eyes and a big grin. His name was Juan and I thought that was so exotic for 60+ year old man from Springville who didn't seem to have any exotic ethnicity. Mr. Whiting loved animals and basketball!! We learned so much about animals that year and played a TON of basketball. We had a snake in our classroom that I loved to hold. We did reports on snakes...mine was on the Black Mamba! I can still regale you with all kinds of facts!! We read books about animals... Where the Red Fern Grows, Summer of the Monkeys, Brighty and the Grand Canyon, and Island of the Blue Dolphins to name a few! My very favorite book that Mr. Whiting read to us was The White Falcon. I thought it was the best book ever!!
It was in 4th grade that my friend Dayna moved in and that was when all of the usual girl drama seemed to kick in. I don't really remember it before 4th grade. Dayna was cool and lived in a big house. Everyone wanted to be her best friend. She had feathered hair and wore Nike tennis shoes. She was pretty cool. It seemed that whole year Lori and I took turns being best friends with Dayna and then also being left out. By the end of the year Dayna and I were consistent best friends. She lived up the street from me and we would walk to and from school together every day. We used to beg our moms to take us to Fashion Gal, a clothing store in Orem, and buy us matching clothes to wear on the same day. We loved Dittos clothing! I also begged my mom for a pair of Nikes just like Dayna's. We loved to be twins and would call each other the night before to plan our outfits for the next day. In class we were pretty chatty and we didn't often get to sit by one another so we learned sign language from a Boy Scout manual that we checked out from the library so that we could talk to each other across the room. The boys quickly tried to learn it too so that they could understand what we were saying. Ha ha! I also liked a boy named Peter in 4th grade...mainly hoping to make Brad jealous which never happened. :) But Peter and I used to have long phone chats and would spend hours trying to call K-96, a radio station, to *dedicate* songs to each other!!
One of my VERY FAVORITE things in elementary school was the SRA Reading Kits. I loved it so much when this box was brought out! It was full of files with stories that represented your reading level. You would read the stories in a particular color and then take a test on the reading material. If you passed you got to move up to the next level. The goal was to read your way through the rainbow and be the top reader in your class. My other love was the Book Fair!! That was paradise to a bookish girl like me!!
This was also the year that we could work in the lunchroom and be a lunch helper. I thought this was so fun...if...and only if...I didn't have to touch the milk cartons. (Your hands smelled like sour milk all day) or be a tray washer. I can gag just thinking about that!! I loved helping with everything else and getting leftovers...cinnamon rolls, cookies, second helpings etc. My favorite lunches were Tacos, Chili (because we always got a sugared donut), and my very favorite was the fish sticks meal. We had really good buttery potatoes with this meal and we also got a chocolate peanut butter bar!! Tyler and I found a recipe for Lunch Lady Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars about 6 years ago and got on a real kick. Apparently we made them one too many times because not one of our kids will touch one now!!
In 4th grade Dayna and I would get dropped off at the mall. We used to walk around for hours and take crazy pictures in the photo booth and buy lip gloss and eat at the food court. We thought we were so cool! We also used to walk to the swimming pool and swim for hours almost every day in the summer all by ourselves. We perfected our underwater somersaults and flips in the lap lanes. We would buy Fanta Red Cream Soda and Moon Pies from the vending machines for our walk home. Also her dad was a doctor and one of the most exciting things that we were allowed to do was spend the night at the hospital in the physicians lounge. We would eat at the Pink shop (the coffee shop) or in the cafeteria and then would watch TV and eat Whatchamacallit candy bars all night in the lounge. It was the best! My mom also worked at the hospital, as the Director of Nursing, so she would let us go look at all the new babies in the nursery!! We also used to ride our bikes down to the Sage Creek Store which we called the candy store and would buy our favorite Dinosour Eggs...I still miss those! They were like giant gobstoppers.
![]() |
| Orchard Elementary School in Orem, Utah |











0 comments:
Post a Comment