Sunday, November 05, 2006

Sunday Dinner


Stacey, Kirk, Kristin, Jordin and Kelley...rare pic of just the five of us
This a belated blog...I have been sick all weekend and have done absolutely nothing so I will blog about last Sunday. Sunday dinner has been a long standing tradition in our family. When Tyler and I got engaged my family moved from Texas to Utah. My mom started up our family's sunday dinner tradition. We would all go up to my mom's house for dinner every Sunday afternoon. She would cook a fantastic gourmet meal and all of us no longer living at home would come and spend the evening...often bringing boyfriends, fiances, friends, and dirty laundry with us. This was a great opportunity for all of us to catch up on the week and spend time with Kirk and Jordi who were still living at home. We would usually go for walks or play games etc. after we were done eating. My mom would cook an enormous meal so that all of us poor college students and newlyweds would have leftovers to take home (she still does that... Yay!).
There are five of us...four girls and one boy. Kirk likes to refer to himself as the "alpha male"...My mom used to say when we were growing up that she wanted us all to be independent/free-thinking people who weren't afraid to voice their opinions. Now that we are all grown I think she may be regretting those words! Dinners with our family are LOUD!! We have a joke in our family that we haven't had dinner until someone has cried! Usually from laughter!
Poor Tyler...when he joined our crazy family he used to just eat quietly and not say a word...we used to always tell him that he needed to join right in...well those days are long gone! He LOUDLY voices his opinions right along with the rest of us...and I even believe he's been told to "shut-up" a few times too! Did I mention that my family is sarcastic and loves to tease?? :)
When we moved to our town...far from Utah...we missed those Sunday dinners so much! But luckily for us my family has all followed us up here. My mom moved up here about a year after we did. My sister, Stacey, her husband John, and their little boy, Dane, moved to a small town about an hour away from our town a year ago. My sister, Kelley, moved here almost two years ago. My sister, Jordin, moved here about six months ago...and the final hold-out...Kirk...moved here in September.

Time to eat

After everyone moved close my sisters and I decided that we needed to start Sunday dinners again. Now that we have families of our own and even busier schedules we try to have them at least once a month. Last Sunday it was at our house. The only people who were not there were my mom and Mike who were in Canada, and John who was in Utah. My mom did call to see how things were going and she sounded a bit sad that she wasn't there!!

As usual we had a GREAT time and ate some AMAZING food!! I love my family and am so grateful that we are close in proximity and as a family. They are truly amazing people who I love spending time with...Long live Sunday Dinners!!

Cousins: Kameron, Ailey, Reilly and Dane

6 comments:

andrea said...

How fun that your whole family is here. I knew there were several but didn't realize that whole clan was so close. Sorry you've been sick. Hope you're feeling better.

Lucy said...

Good looking family! How fun that they all live near you now. It looks like fun!

Ditto...hope you're feeling better soon.

Carolyn said...

I hope your family is feeling better too!

FYI - We're having a program practice on Sat. at 10:00 at the church. :-)

Tiffany said...

HOly COw! I looked away and they all grew up! What a blast. Everyone looks fabulous - and you with your luxurios hair and skinny self. mIss you!

Tiffany said...

Okay I'm clearly not knowing how to do this. I see that I'm named "Favre in '08" Thank you Oliver. It's really me Tiffany!

Kristin said...

Tiff...you're too sweet and clearly in your old age need some glasses... How did we get to be 34??? Shouldn't we be at Kiwanis with a Hearts drink in hand? Love ya Farve!!!;)