Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Fertility Or The Lack Thereof

So I've been holding off on this post for a few weeks...but I'm feeling better about things now and ready to blog. Miscarriage number 2 occurred about 3 1/2 weeks ago. Seriously depressing. It's scary enough to try again after a miscarriage and then to have it happen again was really difficult.

Luckily this time it was much less traumatic for the whole family...no hemorrhaging, no rushing to the ER, and no emergency surgery. The kids have no idea...that was the worst part last time...telling the kids that there would be no baby. Still...things sucked.

According to my doctor there isn't anything that is a red flag for why this occurred again...just bad luck. He didn't feel the need to do any further testing at this point...apparently three miscarriages is the magic number for serious fertility testing. If I had never had children and had two miscarriages then two is the number before they begin serious fertility testing.

My doctor feels it best if we take a break from trying to get pregnant for 6 months for my body to heal. Two miscarriages and a surgery in less than six months has been hard on my body. I was crushed at first but by the time I got home I felt much better about taking a break and getting some perspective. Six months pushes us back all the way to August...ugh...and the thought of going through all of this again is daunting. I have no idea what we will do in six months...we might decide that we have been blessed with three beautiful children and are done...who knows.

We just want to enjoy the summer and put all of this out of our minds for a few months. Like I said we have been SO BLESSED with our three amazing children!! We have a wonderful family already. It is just disappointing.

I'm doing fine...just wanted to give an update. My heart goes out to all those women who struggle with fertility issues much greater than mine.

I'm going to go kiss my three beautiful children and get some good mail ready to send out.

13 comments:

Jayni and Jake said...

Kristin, I'm so sorry! That's got to be super frustrating. You're such a STRONG person & I know you & Tyler will do a TERRIFIC job in figuring out what's best for you! I'll pray for you! You can do it!

carlo said...

i am glad that you are doing ok though it must be hard. i am so sorry to hear it.

Rebecca said...

I'm sorry Kristen! Don't you wish you knew just how to proceed in a situation like this? I'm glad that you will get to heal and contemplate during the summer.

Carolyn said...

Kristin
You inspire me with your strength! I'm so sorry you & Tyler are having this trial right now. I know you'll look back and everything will make sense. I'm here if you ever need a shoulder . . .

Hannah said...

I think you will "know" for sure when you are done having kids....I think we forget sometimes that it's not our timing either and that can get a little frustrating (especially when we want things our own way)....my Mom had two miscarriages on baby #3 and went on to have 7 more well into her 40's so don't be too discouraged yet. :) Hang in there. We love you and will be checking in with you.

Naomi said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your latest frustrations. I was so impressed by your attitude and as someone who likes to plan and be in control of things, I know how hard it is to accept it when things don't go how we want them to. I was truly inspired by the faith and trust you are displaying by how you are handling this set back. Heavenly Father knows the desires of you heart--I pray that you will feel His peace during this time. . .

We love you guys!!

jenny said...

Oh, Kristin I am so sorry. Fertility is difficult and I am glad you are doing okay. No matter what number you are trying for (first or 4th) I am sure it's hard. (Angie just went through a couple before her 4th).

Thanks for the update and big hugs to you!!

andrea said...

I'm so glad you blogged about this. I also love the song you have playing as I read it. Praying that you will have peace no matter what happens.

Tiffany said...

Oh man, I've been thinking about you lately and wondering what was up with that whole thing...
You know I'm a fate girl and I really believe things happen when they're supposed to (with our input, of course). I find it so weird how our bodies change as we get older pregnancy-wise. All my friends have experienced this too, where it just is different each time. Sometimes it's easy and happens fast, and sometimes it doesn't. But as long as you're telling God you're on board, the rest is up to him, right? Anyway, hang in there. I love you!

Kristin said...

Thanks for all the kind words...I really appreciate it. I love you guys!!

[alisar] said...

Oh Kristin! This is a hard one. I'm so sorry for this trial you are going through. But I applaud your attitude. I hope you have more highs than lows in the coming months of letting your body and heart heal. Don't give up hope, just be open minded to whatever plan is in store for you. You are an awesome mom to three very lucky kiddos.

Kelly said...

Oh Kristin, I don't have any words, except I wish you peace.

Lucy said...

I'm sorry, Kristin. You are such a devoted mother and deserve as much, if not more, to be blessed with as many as you want. I hope you feel at peace and know that you are loved.