I've Got The Molly In Me
Yes, it's true. For years I have been denying it. But now I have to face facts. I've got the "Molly" in me...as in "Molly Mormon". Do you KNOW the fun (who knew?) I have had sewing and canning. I can hardly bear to type that...it makes me literally gag. For more years than I can count I have secretly mocked and, yes, felt QUITE superior too all the "mollies" who love to sew and get giddy over food storage. Did they have a life? Would they recognize a good time if it bit them in the butt? I am now one of the herd.
I went to the cannery a few weeks ago and had a freakin' blast! I canned sugar, hot chocolate, oatmeal, pinto beans...and just so you truly "get" how far I have come...I canned WHEAT!! I know!! I have been to the cannery before and I have many #10 cans of dry goods on my shelves in the basement but I didn't get that little "thrill" until recently. I'm scared...genealogy can only be next!
"How many cans can a canner can? If a canner can can cans? It would can as many cans as a canner can if a canner can can cans."
The Sewing Chronicles Part II
I have completed another sewing project...pillowcases yet again. This time for Kameron. It went ok without my mother's "by phone tutelage" but let's just say my seam ripper and I now have a close personal relationship.
My latest adventure in sewing all started when my mom came to town two weeks ago and after a fabulous sushi lunch we headed off to the fabric store. Now...as I have just learned all fabric stores are not alike. Some have "good" fabric and some have "cheap" fabric. The fabric guru informed me that Joann's fabric is basically crap. This time we went to a "quilter's fabric store". Impressive. Big difference. The guru (I will no longer call her the "sewing Nazi" as she has been quite kind and supportive of my new found hobby) told me that "one has to feel" the fabric to know if it is high quality...and not only that but "one has to smell it". Huh? Yes...I went around the store feeling and sniffing fabric and feeling like a complete lunatic but that's apparently what you do. According to the guru you never want to buy fabric that smells like chemicals...bad sizing or something...cheap fabric. While I was sniffing and feeling things I ran into an old friend, Kassie. She was a Dining Diva (part of me and Kelley's old cooking club) she now works at the fabric store...therefore she didn't think that I was a total sniffing/feeling fabric freak.
Kassie is on the right side at the very end of the table in black and wearing glasses. Well...not only does Kassie work there but she even teaches classes...free classes. Perfect! After we caught up I began to "talk fabric" with Kassie and she told us a horror story of a lady who bought fabric from the dreaded Joann's and then had her quilt completely fall apart after one washing. The guru was nodding away like "see I told you!!" After I sheepishly told Kassie what project I was making...pillowcases...I happened to look around the upscale quilting shop and what did my eyes behold but pillowcase after pillowcase on display. Apparently they are quite "in" right now. Who knew I had my finger on the pulse of the sewing world!! ;)
After I bought my "good" fabric which equals "expensive" fabric and my mom and I were driving away I felt quite smug that I had firmly secured my position as "favorite child" but my basking in my favorite child glory didn't last long as my mom's cellphone rang and it was my brother. He and his wife had purchased an Asian sculpture and Kirk was in the process of "burnishing" it!! WHAT? Suddenly out of the blue Kirk decides to CRAFT!! The sheer delight and proud glow that came across my mother's face let me know that my moment in the sun was over...sewing daughter trumped by Kirk and his stinking burnishing!!
In case you are on pins and needles awaiting my third sewing project I won't keep you in suspense...it is PILLOWCASES!! But not just ordinary pillowcases...I am going to use...not one...not two...but three kinds of fabric AND ribbon. These are going to be some freaking amazing pillowcases. Stay tuned.
The finished project:
Kameron's room is done in a "retro-cowboy" look and I found the cutest 1930's reproduction print called "Ride 'Em Cowboy". I LOVE all the 1930's and 1940's reproduction fabrics. The red looks good in his mostly yellow and blue bedroom.
Oh--guess what else I have been doing? MENDING!! Can you believe it? I'm about to get out my denim jumper and chiffon bow!!
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Posted by Kristin at 5:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Who knew?!
Again, your pillow cases look fabulous and I love Kameron's room.
Keep up the canning - I've still only been at the cannery one time my whole life - guess I am still trying not to get "Molly" attached to me.
It is kind of funny to look at where you are in life now and what you imagined life would be like back as a child or a teenager.
Whoa! Hang on, little cowgirl. Don't go all crazy on us, now. Actually, I love the retro look in Kam's room. The lunchbox it fabulous!! You always have the best deco finds. . .
I was teasing my YW just last week because one of them was saying, "I will NEVER do _____ when I'm a Mom." I told her to never say never because that is when you are bound to take it up one day. Good thing we grow out of that "know it all" stage and stretch ourselves a little bit.
You are a natural--before you know it, you will be designing and sewing Reilly's prom dress!
Such a fun post!!
My mom just bought my daughter a sewing machine and now I have to pretend to know how to sew. Very stressful. We are trying to make pajama pants....but the fabric is from JoAnn's, so now I am thinking that we should nix the whole thing.
By the way, your pillowcases are very cute!
I love the retro cowboy fabric. Ann H. made a flannal blanket for Jack out of a similar fabric and I thought it was the cutest thing ever. Maybe after all our kids are a little older our book group can evolve into a quilting group.
I've been channeling my inner molly too. Maybe it's just our age. One of my favorite pasttimes is playing on the food storage calculator on the provident living website. It wasn't too long ago that I said I would rather die than live off my wheat. Now I use it at least 3-5 times a week.
I recently dusted off my sewing machine too but I have yet to use it.
Melissa-
Good to hear from you!! I think your pajamas will be just fine. Just don't make a labor intensive quilt with the fabric!! ;)
Go Mollie! You sound unstoppable :)
What? Do people can sugar and oatmeal and hot chocolate and wheat? I have never been to the cannery except when I was a kid with my mom. Do they have one in Nevada?
Why do you can oatmeal and not just buy the big thing of it from Sam's? These things are mysteries to me. But I am sure I could get into it. I've already embraced the molly in myself (except for geneology). But I always knew you had a fair amount of molly just waiting to escape. And I also know you look hot in a good chiffon bow!!!
Tiffany-
I too was unaware of the WONDERS of the cannery. I am POSITIVE you have one in NV. Anywhere there are Mormons there are church canneries. Now I have always just purchased stuff like that from Costco too...still do and store it in big plastic containers. BUT...I recently learned that if you can it...it will last for like 10 years and I would use it for purely emergency purposes. I'm thinking if the apocalypse occurs that pudding and hot chocolate could be worth their weight in gold?? Or...could at least be bartered for tampons!! ;)
Way to go Molly! I love that pretty #10 can pyramid with the pretty pastel labels. ;-)
I also visited a "fancy quilt store" a couple months ago and BEGGED the owner to sell me a gorgeous quilt I saw hanging on the wall. No dice. I'll have to break down and learn to quilt someday . . . . You inspire me.
p.s. Who was the old bishop who spoke in our ward on Easter?
Bishop Kulisch from 1st Ward. We love him!!
Post a Comment