Happy 12th Birthday Reilly!!
Yesterday was Reilly's birthday. She has been waiting and waiting for #12 to come along so that she could FINALLY go to Young Womens and be done with Primary. At last the big day arrived. We are really proud of Reilly. She worked hard and finished her Faith in God and left Primary with all her goals accomplished.
These pictures were only taken about 6 months or so apart but the growth and change in her is amazing. Bye Bye little girl...hello teenager!!
A woman stopped me in the bathroom on Sunday and was marveling that Reilly was already 12 (she has known her for years in Primary) she asked me how it felt to have a 12 year-old. I told her that it just felt like time was flying by. It reminded me of a conversation I had with a wise friend of mine, Sharon, whose children are grown and always has such great perspective on life. We were talking about how Reilly's 12th birthday was approaching and I said how I felt like Reilly was just 2 years old and I blinked and now she's almost 12. Sharon told me that the next time I blink my grandchildren will be 12 and that it is just so important to enjoy the small moments and try to really be "present" in them because life doesn't slow down. One of the reasons I love blogging is that not only do I record small moments, big moments and milestones but I feel like I look for these moments each and every day.
Reilly picked for her birthday dinner: Broccoli Divan, 7-layer dip and chips, Cold Duck Sparkling Grape Juice, homemade pecan pie, and homemade cherry pie with whipped cream and ice cream.
11 1/2 to 12 years old has been a VERY emotional roller coaster. Mood swings left and right. Laughter, tears, sullen grump, pleasant daughter...you just never know. Her birthday dinner was no different. Fraught with highs and lows.
While on partial bed rest it has given me and Reilly lots of chat time. One day she was complaining about how mean I am and how I don't understand what it's like to be in 6th grade and how there's no way I could understand what she is going through. So we found my old journals from 6th and 7th grade. We were laughing our heads off reading them. My complaints about my parents, always having to babysit, hating to always have to do chores when none of my other friends had to do them, boys I liked and how much I liked them and on and on. I sounded just like Reilly!! We also found out that in 6th grade we both had piano lessons on Tuesdays and a few other fun facts. Reilly had a great time mocking me and my 12 year old self but she did say "Oh Mom if you were in my class we would be best friends!!" That is a huge compliment from a 12 year old!! ;)
Reilly also wanted me to read her what I wrote in my journal about the day she was born and read all that was going on while I was pregnant with her. Even Kameron was quite interested in listening to my journal entries. It was better than TV. Yesterday Kameron brought to me a clump of papers he had stapled together into a journal. He told me he was going to start keeping a journal so that his kids would have something to read and laugh about. What a cutie!!
All in all Reilly's birthday was a lot of fun and it is so neat to see her making her way toward womanhood. She is a great girl who brings so much joy, laughter, heart and soul into our lives. We love you Reilly!!
Thanks to all the family who called to wish Reilly a Happy Birthday she loved it!!
Happy Birthday Rye!! We love you!!


13 comments:
Happy Birthday Reilly! It was nice talking to you yesterday. Wish we could have been there to spend the day with you. You are growing up too quickly! I am not sure I am ready to have such a mature and independent niece. I miss being able to pick you up and swing you around. I can only imagine how much longer you will enjoy giving hugs. Don't go getting TOO COOL on us.
Very adorable. Reilly is such a darling girl. She will grow up to be just like her mom I'm sure. Sounds like you threw quite the birthday dinner party. Happy birthday Reilly.
Happy Birthday Reilly!!
I had a great time at your dinner party :)
You are growing up so fast, but still just as sweet as pie! Enjoy your last year before becoming a TEENAGER!!! ahhh...
xoxo
Kelley
p.s. Sissy- Delusions are in the eyes of the beholder! LOL!!!
Hi my dear and lovely sissy. I love the blog about Reilly. I really wish i could have been there for her b-day. Imiss her so very much and she just keeps gettin bigger and bigger.I remember when she was 1 year old and i was babysittin her...and I was 13 cannot belive that now she is 12 and babysittin your babies (her siblings) it is so nuts. Reilly i love you so much. I miss you more and more as each day passes on. U r an amazin young woman, i am lucky to have a niece and friend like you.
Happy Birthday Reilly....you look absolutely beautiful and so grown up. Grace was reading this with me and just kept saying "that is NOT Reilly Mom!"....she thought it was a friend. :) We are glad you had a nice day with the family.
Kristen-
I keep journals too, that is so great....I decided when each of my kiddos turns 18 I will give them their "life journal" to keep and look back on, I have always loved that idea...so much better than just pictures. I even like being able to look back at them to remember my other pregnancies and when each kid did what....very fun. :)
We love you guys....fun update!
That is so cool about reading your journals together. Reilly is such a cute girl. I can't believe that she is 12. That means Jonah is right behind her.
I agree with Sharon, time doesn't slow down it just keeps going faster and faster.
Wow, what a blast from the past! It is good to hear from you! Your daughter looks so much like you did when we were neighbors! I was so thrilled to hear from you! i am amazed that you could find me with the new married names and all!
what a great gift- to have your journals to share with your daughter.
sigh. wish i had mine.
i am so with you on 11 being emotional roller coaster. wow. i was not prepared...
reilly is beautiful. looks very much like you!
I can't believe you have a 12 year old! Happy Birthday, Reilly! And congrats to you both for raising such a beautiful, happy, accomplished daughter. Hang in there!
Can you believe it.....you have one of THEM! :) I hope that she has so much fun in YW. You are going to have to fill me on it all.
I love that you actually have journals from your teenage years...one of my many regrets in life. That is a great bonding experience for the two of you to realize that you are much similar than you thought.
See you Thursday!!! :)
Yes, Reilly is looking so grown up. I loved that you were a journal writer and can now share that with your kids.
The most writing I've done in my entire life is my blog.
Happy birthday to Reilly and Kameron!!!!
Hope you had a fabulous 12th birthday! Such a fun age!! I know that they are going to LOVE having you in YW.
As someone who was BFF's with your Mom when she was your age, I can tell you that indeed she can relate to ANYTHING you may be going through. :) I do recall a few conversations where we swore that we were never going to be as "mean" as our Moms were. We were going to be "cool" and let our kids do whatever they wanted. HA HA, and then reality struck and we had to acknowledge that Mom really does know best.
Friends will come and go. . . but Mom's are forever!
Man, she was just born! In fact, I can still picture her in that black outfit when she was brand new. Reilly is one of those whose face is just the same as when she was a baby. You know what I mean? Some kids look completely different from when they were babies, but Reilly looks exactly the same. She's so pretty!
I love the journal stuff. You are one of the best journalers out there, so I'm sure it's a blast to read and compare.
Happy Birthday R!
Post a Comment