Monday, September 17, 2012

Kansas City Trip Day 6: Wedding Prep

Day 6 we spent literally all day and late into the night on Wednesday prepping for the wedding. Every last one of us had many errands and a long list of things to do. All the last minute details had to be covered, a visit to the venue for measurements, all the rental equipment picked up, any additional food and supplies to be purchased, any other decorations to be purchased, tuxedo fittings, marriage license picked up...tons and tons of details.

 My mom, Jordin, Reilly and I left the house early in the morning to get started on our mile long to-do list. Tyler and Ramon were going to wrassle the kids all day. Lucky for us Jordin is REALLY laid back...no bridezilla at all. It is hard planning a wedding from another state and trying to get all the details to come together. Thank goodness Jordi just goes with the flow. The day was super busy but still a lot of fun. It was great to be able to spend the day laughing and planning with Jordi, my mom and Reilly.

After accomplishing all of our morning "to-dos" we decided to reward ourselves with a delicious sushi lunch. My mom had been dying to go to her favorite sushi place (when we were in town last summer it was closed and we never got to go) She had been dreaming of this sushi for YEARS. Luckily it was open and we got right in. OH.MY.WORD. It was incredible. My family are BIG sushi eaters and I have been eating sushi since I was a little girl. That said, Jun's Sushi in Prairie Village is by far THE BEST sushi I have ever had!! As I type this I am over-come with a horrible craving. (We had sushi this weekend from our favorite place in Spokane...and I am so so sad to say...It paled in comparison.)


Oh yes...it was absolutely delicious and we ate every single solitary bite and ordered more. Wow. I highly recommend Jun's. Every single things was fantastic. It did not disappoint even after all these years. Delicious.

Meanwhile back at the house...Tyler, Ramon, and Ramon's very brave and awesome friend, Trey, took all the kids bowling. Ramon and Trey are SERIOUS bowlers. They bowl on a league and are UNBELIEVABLE. I do believe Tyler's BYU bowling prowess was put to shame...and he is a good bowler. Anyway...the kids were in heaven hanging out at the bowling alley and eating junk food all day. They had the best time and Kameron seriously idolizes Ramon and Trey. They are pretty awesome.

Then it was out to Wyndotte Lake to check out the wedding venue. James P. Davis Hall is absolutely gorgeous. It  was built in 1937 and looks out over the lake. All the the lumber and stone came from the park property and was cut by hand. The inside is black walnut and oak. So beautiful. It has a gorgeous patio overlooking the lake. Jordin was so cute. She said "I'm a lake girl. If I can't get married at 'the lake' this is the next best thing." It really was. So pretty!!

James P. Davis Hall


The back patio area that overlooks the lake.

The wing of the building where the ceremony was held.


The wing where we had the reception.


Two of the many french doors that open up onto the patio.

View of the lake through the trees from one side of the patio.



Reilly out on the patio looking  way too grown up.

Meanwhile back with the guys... they were off to try on their tuxs. Tyler's tuxedo luck continued. Every single time Tyler has to wear a tux they give him the size wrong. The pants are always floods...including at our wedding. Ha ha. (I found it funny. Tyler did not. Not too many full-length pictures were taken at our wedding.) Now Tyler always knows to go in for an additional fitting...and what do you know...it happened again. Can Men's Warehouse (in about 4 different states) not take precise measurements? What's the deal? Luckily there was plenty of time to get the right size. Trey had problems too...his was too big. (Even Kirk... when he went to get his tux was given a child's tie. His description had me rolling with laughter.)

We met up with the guys that evening. Tyler and I were sent on a super-secret mission from Ramon to get something special to surprise Jordin with at the wedding. When we got back to the house,  Ramon's fabulous mother, Alice, had brought over the best dinner you could ever imagine:

 Oh My!! I was up to my elbows in BBQ sauce. For reals. It was a love fest. That sweet Alice brought over platters of every kind of meat, big boxes of fries and onion rings, and buckets of sauce. AWESOME!! Oh yes...Gates reigns SUPREME as the best BAR-B-Q ...EVER...EVER...EVER!! The atmosphere at the house was starting to get really festive. Lots of friends, lots of family, lots of fun and everyone was so excited about the wedding.

After dinner, my mom and I slipped out to run still more errands. I think we got back to the house around 11pm. By that time everyone was getting wacky and silly...Reilly and Kameron in particular. ;) Heaven help you if you fell asleep early. Look what could happen:



And thus ended day 6.

0 comments: