Friday, November 08, 2019

September: Things That Are Getting Me Through

Slight alteration on my monthly favorite things due to present circumstances. Obviously.

1.) Beverly Our Support Animal


This puppy has gotten so much love and affection and in return she has given us so much love, peace, and emotional support. Studies show that animals can help with the grieving process. I am here to say that it is true.  Playing with, caring for, and petting animals increase the levels of the stress-reducing hormone oxytocin and decrease the production of the stress hormone cortisol. Miss Beverly has been super helpful and we all just can't get enough of her plus she humors us by sometimes wearing clothes and thinking that she is a human and not a dog.

2.) Real Housewives of Beverly Hills


Sometimes you just need mindless reality tv and this is my show of choice. Watching someone other than my own siblings argue was quite soothing. Plus I have not been able to read much which has been a really crappy side effect of stress and grief.

3.) Long Walks/Work Outs

I cannot stress enough how much exercise has helped me this month. Long walks and hard workouts have been my saving grace. Tyler walks with me nearly every day (I feel like a dog needing its daily walk but it is true) and I have been able to process my emotions, feelings, frustrations, and thoughts. It is my favorite part of the day. Beyond being extremely helpful it has been necessary to keep me healthy mentally and physically.

4.) My Friends

This part makes me cry. Like beyond cry...more like ugly sob.  I cannot even express the gigantic outpouring of love that has come my way in the last two months. It is staggering and humbles me to the core. I knew that I had great friends but... wow...they are incredible! Within the tiniest fraction of time after hearing the news that my mom had passed away my kitchen was full of my friends who were organizing meals, carpool, rides to and from sports and activities, and all of our kids extracurricular activities. So many of my friends comforted our kids and made them laugh as they organized everything down to the most minute detail. Tyler and I were with my siblings...trying to cope... and these amazing friends went around me...  (I didn't even know it was happening) and had my life and my family's lives under control. So many sweet friends took the most amazing care of our family for weeks. WEEKS! They refused to stop and they wouldn't take no for an answer. I am so grateful! I cannot even say how many friends have come and cried and sat with me in my grief. We have been well cared for and well loved. It inspires me to be a better friend and a better human being in return. I am so grateful to be surrounded and buoyed up by so many wonderful people.

5.) Lounge Wear From Costco


The week after my mom died I went to Costco. I don't even know why; we had food and meals delivered for weeks but I needed something and apparently it was this lounge set. Listen... grief does not want to wear snug fitting jeans or anything with a restrictive waist band. Grief and stress need comfy stretchy pants and soft comfy shirts. I got this set in charcoal. Get a pair! You will thank me.

0 comments: