Tuesday, February 09, 2021

COVID-19 Quarantine: Days 301-305

Day 301: 1-8-21 (Friday)

I can't even articulate my feelings toward the state of events in our country right now.  Trump has been banned by Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. In an attempt to focus on something that won't continue to raise my blood pressure...The best part of my day was date night! A walk, thrifting, take-out from Aloha Island Grill, and two more episodes of The Crown. It's the little things that are getting me through the dumpster fire that is our country right now. 

Day 302: 1-9-21 (Saturday)

We have no snow in January and I couldn't be happier. I need my daily outside time. Tyler and I walked Beverly at the park today. She was a little stinker!! She wanted none of it! 

We started doing a Johnson Girls Day-of-Fun once a month. Each daughter picks a Saturday and plans what they would like to do as a family on their day. Today was Ailey's day. She picked coming with me and Tyler to run errands...aka Costco, Walmart etc... how low is her bar set for fun?! LOL. Thanks COVID! But sure we can do that. Then she wanted to do a "Gas Station Dinner" which was something that she saw on Instagram. Again...um...okay. Maverick for the win. Tyler and I opted out. 


Gas Station Dinner

She also just discovered old reruns of Duck Dynasty and wanted us to watch several episodes as a family. Again the bar for fun and entertainment is incredibly LOW!! But we did have fun!

Day 303: 1-10-21 (Sunday)

Today was online Stake Conference. Despite not being able to meet in person it was really good and the Spirit was strong. The Stake sent out multiple videos during the week leading up to Stake Conference with different speakers...many of whom are friends of ours...each speaking on different topics. They were great! The best part of Stake Conference was when Kameron's name was presented as one of the newly called Elders for sustaining. We were cheering away while we sustained him. 

3 John 4: "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth." It really is true.

Since we have been watching Magnolia Table, the Joanna Gaines cooking show; we decided to recreate one of her meals. We made her Friendsgiving Casserole (delicious), Cranberry Sauce, and her Green Beans Amandine (so-so.) We aren't big on sweet green beans...this recipe calls for a lot of brown sugar. Weird. Anyway it was fun to work as a family and recreate one of her meals. Then we had FHE and Tyler and I watched more of The Crown.

Day 304: 1-11-21 (Monday)

I had my weekly phone call with my dad. He asked if we could have a regular Monday morning phone date and it's turned out to be really nice. He signed up for the Emotional Self-Reliance class that his stake is doing and he is very excited about it.

On another note...the country is in chaos. Parler has been shut down. Facebook, Twitter, Google, Amazon, and Apple are acting like monopolies. Trump isn't my favorite person but I am against censorship and companies forcing their will upon the American people. It's a slippery slope. Media and big tech shouldn't be silencing opposing views. Period. 

Tonight we video chatted with Kam. He's doing well. He is getting along great with his new companion. He said the new companion (Elder Stewart) pushes him in ways that he has needed so that is good. He was sad to say goodbye to his old companion. It was interesting to hear him talk about all of the different things that he has learned from each of his companions. I love seeing this kind of maturity. He has a genuine love for each one of them and has made some lifelong friendships. He seemed in better spirits this week. He is staying busier and teaching more lessons. That always makes him happier. They also received their *Happy Light* light bulbs from their Mission President so maybe that's it too. LOL. Apparently so many missionaries are feeling some level of depression due to COVID restrictions/weather that the mission president purchased special light bulbs that help with seasonal affective disorder. Luckily Kameron is from a very dreary place in the winter! Those CA and AZ kids are struggling in the Minnesota winter.

Day 305: 1-12-21 (Tuesday)

Not much going on today. Tyler had a bunch of work things going on. He picked up one of his belated Christmas gifts to himself this afternoon. A shotgun. This is the first time that we have ever had a gun in our home. I *think* I am okay with it. Both Kam and Tyler did a bunch of shooting with the scouts and YM. Reilly and Hunter go shooting all the time on Hunter's uncle's ranch as it is part of ranch life but this is a purchase that has taken me years to be okay with and I am only okay-ish. So...don't try to rob us. We're gun owners now. Gulp.

Bryn had piano lessons and Ailey had another drive for Drivers Ed. Thankfully that one went well too. I am glad that she is getting more confidence. I started reading the book that local author Saul Rip asked me to read and review. So far so good. 

We are back on the ol' Peloton after a bit of a hiatus! Both Tyler and I are still loving it! And...the new padded seat is a definite bonus!!

0 comments: