Wednesday, January 31, 2024

December 2023: COVID CONTINUES

When we last left off in November we were sicker than dogs with COVID. We were on Day #4 of our COVID fest and still going strong on into December. We were still miserable and we remained miserable for two straight weeks. One week was a complete blur. The next week was slightly better but not much. Stick me with the needle. Give me the vaccine. I NEVER want to have COVID again. 

People kept asking me if I felt like I got a lighter case this time around. No...absolutely not. It felt the same as the last/first time I had COVID. Horrible. It also lasted the same amount of time. Two weeks. I lost my sense of taste and smell both times. Food in all of its forms was disgusting. The medication that I was prescribed didn't do anything as far as I could tell. It didn't shorten it at all. I felt like Tyler and I were right on track together and he wasn't on the medication. We both got sick at the same time and we both got well at the same time...on Day #14. While Tyler and I were languishing with COVID... (I know I'm being dramatic but it was hell!)...we were being pounded with snow. We had blizzard conditions for days. Thank goodness we weren't going anywhere. 


Here's how cute I was.

This was day 5. I didn't leave my bed the first 4 days. This was sent to our college children who were checking in to see how we were doing. Yikes. They were glad to be far away in Rexburg. On our 5th day of COVID...we finally crawled out of bed and made the big move to the living room to watch Christmas movies. This was also the day that Bryn tested positive for COVID. YAY! A full pity party. Now we were all miserable but could also all be together. Tyler and Bryn never lost their sense of taste and smell but they didn't feel like eating much either. We were guzzling the Gatorade and eating frozen tasteless pizza. Reilly kept offering to help or drop things off but we wanted her to stay far away from us. 

We missed out on all kinds of fun December holiday things...parties...events...basketball games...Christmas shopping...we didn't even have the mental energy to order anything online. I was freaking out that none of our gifts were going to get here on time and that none of our packages to family out of state were going to get there on time and who knew if we would ever even feel like going Christmas shopping. I told the kids... "Prepare yourselves. You might not have any presents this year!" LOL. (I am really glad that Tyler didn't get dangerously ill so while I loudly complain about missing two weeks of life in a VERY busy Christmas season I am truly grateful that it wasn't worse for him or for the rest of us.)

We also made the HUGE mistake of attempting to order Christmas cards in our sickened and delusional state. The days of December were slipping by and we hadn't even ordered our cards yet so one night while the three of us were lying around in the living room we decided to order them. We picked out pictures and designed the cards. We paid extra to get them here quickly. We all looked them over and pronounced them good and placed the order. Imagine my HORROR when the cards arrived and I found that we hadn't even spelled our last name right!!! There were also multiple typos in the little blurb about what we were up to. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?! All three of us proof read the card design. All three of us pronounced it perfect. Holy moly!!

We had to re-order the cards and pay even more money to get the second set here quickly. This time Tyler called the company and was on the phone with them as they fixed the mistakes so that it would be quicker to get the new cards. Imagine my HORROR when the second batch of cards arrived and the dictated corrections to the mistakes were included in the text of the card. For example... part of it read "Karson is insert light insert of our insert life." WTH?! This was a live person who did this at the card company. By then I was COVID hysterical. I know that Christmas cards aren't that big of a deal but I really like sending and receiving Christmas cards and it was feeling like an incredibly BIG DEAL!

Tyler called the company yet again who was horrified by what had been done. They offered us free New Years cards as there was no way the new cards would get to us in time to send out before Christmas. Cue Kristin wailing and crying in the background that "Christmas is ruined and all I wanted was to send out Christmas cards and now I can't even do that! I don't want to send out stupid New Years cards!!!" No joke. I was crying my eyes out. I guess COVID brings out a weirdly emotional and irrational side in me. Tyler became a Karen and told the card company what they were going to do and how they were going to do it and that he expected those cards to be overnighted to us free of charge and they DID IT! The third...yes third...batch of stupid Christmas cards arrived and I got them sent out. So if you received a Christmas card from us I hope you freaking loved it because it was a nightmare getting it to you!! You're welcome!

On the 8th day of COVID my true love gave to me...la la la... but seriously...on the 8th day of COVID Tyler started working from home and we ventured out of our house. Masked and taking all of the precautions. This time according to the CDC you only have to quarantine for 5 days and then you have to mask for an additional 5 days. Well I wasn't feeling like going anywhere on Day 5 but by Day 8 we needed some groceries and I needed to get out of the house. We decided on a late night trip to Walmart.


By Day 9 of COVID we were binging New Girl and coughing up a storm but also showering and doing a few things around the house. Progress. Tyler worked that whole week from home. Bryn went back to school on Day 11 but had to wear a mask and didn't go to basketball practice. Of course the day that we sent her back to school there were all kinds of threats made and the kids were in a modified lockdown called "Secure and Teach". So glad we sent her back to school that day. :(  There was a huge police presence and there were police monitoring the hallways. Bryn texted us this picture. 

A lot of kids went home. Bryn decided to stay because she had already missed so much school and felt like she was safe since there were police walking the hallways.

Just like the last time I had COVID... DAY 14... seemed to be the magic day when I felt like I was getting back to normal. Tyler too. Bryn seemed to have a much shorter and lighter case. What does that say about me? I don't have a compromised immune system and I felt like I was hit by a truck and the medication didn't shorten it either. Does that mean that I am an old fragile grandma? I've been vaccinated and gotten the booster and had COVID before and it didn't matter. It was just as severe as the first time. Tyler got vaccinated and had the booster and had COVID twice before and it still lasted 14 days but I do think it was slightly less severe...no loss of taste or smell... he was working by Day 8 albeit from home. Bryn seemed back to normal in a week. COVID continues to be enigmatic. Here's the real kicker. We got sick the day after we got home from going to Utah for Thanksgiving and we got better the day before the college kids came home for Christmas break. It was crazy!

And thus I end the COVID chronicles...

0 comments: