Thursday, July 12, 2007

Good Vibrations

Water, sun, good food, family, great music...what more do you need? In my book...not much! If we aren't at home this summer...this is where we are...THE LAKE!




Ty, Ailey, Kirk and Reilly on the boat





Ailey and Kameron playing on the beach




My great-grandpa bought a bunch of land in the early 1900's on this lake and opened a resort. It was called Echo Beach Resort and it was still in operation when I was a little younger than Reilly. I have great memories of walking over to the store to get dreamsicles and candy necklaces. My great-grandparents had several cabins that they rented during the summer. When they passed away their property was passed on to their three daughters. Marilyn got the house and store (which was no longer in operation), Mickey got the cabin "Pineknot" and some lake front property and my grandma got the best of the best...Lilac Lodge. Lilac Lodge is large 2 story cabin and we have spent summer after summer there. When I was growing up my sisters Stacey, Kelley and I used to spend a month up at the lake with our grandparents every summer. When my grandpa retired he built a house right next to Lilac Lodge and connected the two with a walkway/mudroom. This is one of the best places on earth! Counting my kids...5 generations of my family have enjoyed this property and lake.











It's hard to see the house and cabin through all the trees. You can see the windows of my grandma's house but Lilac Lodge is hidden in the trees. You can see Reilly hanging onto the ski rope waiting to yell "Hit It!!" Here's a little closer look:






Lilac Lodge is off to the right. I will have to take some more pictures because it is really cool...and a little spooky (we grandkids are convinced its haunted)...there is a big dormitory upstairs that sleeps 15 and several bedrooms on the sleeping porch. Even now that we cousins are grown and have families of our own we still like to sleep upstairs! Our parents won't budge on the coveted sleeping porch bedrooms.



The poor blue dock is on its last leg and this will be its last summer...it's nearly as old as I am. I think I was about 6 years old when it was built...next summer will make way for something new and more "boat friendly".








You've got to love the Pacific Northwest...I think we have the best lakes in the world! I love the combination of rocky mountains, pine trees, and water!!

Ailey and Kam in the boat

Tyler the "spotter"


Me and Ailey in the tube...look closely...you can't see Ailey...just her little feet and a tiny little hand waving!!



Reilly and I taking our turns on the tube



Kameron enjoying the water




One more day and I will assume my usual position...floating on mat and soaking up some sun. Wish you were here!!

****Forgot to add a few things...My sister, Stacey, is pregnant and just found out that she is having a little GIRL!! Exciting! Dane will have a little sister!****

I keep forgetting to post Reilly's summer reading list. Last year Reilly decided that she didn't like to read! GASP!! I felt that this had more to do with the books she was choosing than withl actually not liking to read. I felt that summer would be a great opportunity to get her to "enjoy" reading. When the little guys would go down for a nap I would have Reilly read for an hour...and it often stretched to two hours. I made a deal with her...If she would read 10 books of my choosing I would reward her with something at the end of summer. I think she wanted to go out to eat some place of her own choosing with me (She is very easy to please). She did it and I am amazed at the results. This last school year she read ALOT. This summer we decided to do it again and she is reading so fast I am going to have to add a few more books. Her reward this year: a $20 pedicure (again...easy to please). This has worked like a charm and I had to bug her to think of a "reward" she just wanted my "book list". Last summer I figured who could say they didn't like to read after sobbing through "Where the Red Fern Grows"...and I was right!! (I pick books I have read so we can discuss them later).

In case you're curious...here was Reilly's reading list from last summer and her new one for this summer:

2006

Where the Red Fern Grows-Wilson Rawls

Heidi-Johanna Spyri

Bridge to Terabethia-Katherine Patterson

Night Swimmers-Betsy Byars

Blubber-Judy Blume

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler-E.L. Konigsburg

Caddie Woodlawn-Carol Ryrie Brink

Calico Captive-Elizabeth George Speare

A Wrinkle in Time-Madeleine L'Engle

Anastasia Krumpnik-Lois Lowry

2007

Little Women-Louisa May Alcott

Island of the Blue Dolphins-Scott O'Dell

Summer of the Monkeys-Wilson Rawls

The Cay-Theodore Taylor

A Taste of Blackberries-Doris Buchanan Smith

Are You There God, It's Me Margaret-Judy Blume

Julie of the Wolves-Jean Craighead George

The Magician's Nephew-C.S. Lewis

Jennifer, Hecate, MacBeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth-E.L. Konigsburg

Number the Stars-Lois Lowry

10 comments:

Stacey said...

Great pictures of the lake! I am proud of Reilly for reading so much! I hope Dane is a reader.

XOXO Stacey

Kelley said...

Okay- so now I want to reread all those books Reilly is reading! Tell her if she reads them all, I too will buy her a manicure--ohhlala...If Kameron has a list-tell him I am willing to make a deal also.
Love the photos of the lake. Need I remind you that a ghost of our past has appeared to me in Lilac Lodge-Grandma Nelle-while all of you guys were resting your pretty little heads,I was frantically trying to scream- scary!!
xo Kelley

Lucy said...

Your description and pictures of your lake experience are dreamy. How lucky to be a part of that year after year. It really is the best place to be in the summer. WAY better than this hot desert! Now..we'll probably be singing different tunes in a few months when the gray clouds roll in.

Congratulations Stacey on your future girl!

Kristin said...

Lucy-

You are right!! From January to May I will be wishing I was in sunny Utah instead of the gloomy Northwest!

Kelly said...

I am in lake lust! As you know the lakes around here aren't all that purdy in the summer.

Hannah said...

Oh those are some great books, I will be jotting those down for future referance. The one hour a day thing is a really good idea....although Justin promised Grace an Ipod when she starts to read, I might be begging for pedicures. :)

Speaking of pedicures, (Bonnie...;)we are heading to the lake on August 5th through the 12th, we can't wait to see you guys. Swimming, games, good food, and laughing.....sounds wonderful!!! See you very soon.

Tiffany said...

Oh I am DYING to get to the lake. WE leave in a week! Your lake is so much like mine it's crazy. And way to go Reilly on the skis. Liv is too chicken, but I'm going to work her over this year. Tell Stacey congrats!!

andrea said...

I'm with you girl! There's no place better than the northwest in July. I love the lake and we had the greatest week too. I love the history of your lake place. We'll have to take a lake trip together sometime.

Carolyn said...

Oh . . . your post is making me want to be at the lake so bad. Our annual Priest Lake trip is in 7 days (but who's counting?!?!?) We just bought a tube to use with our "rental boat" and I think it's the same one in your pictures!

Glad you're having a good summer. And, LOVE the list. I'm struggling with books for Nicholas. There's only so much Captain Underpants a mom can take! Yuck!

carlo said...

Wow, I feel caught up now after my blogging break.

So is it ok if I admit that I am a little envious of the lake retreat? How cool to go there and to have the memories. WOW! So special and so lucky to pass the tradition on. I love to see the pics, too.

Booklist-- impressive reading lists!! I love it. I am actually trying to get Cass to read "Wrinkle in Time" with me.

Where the Red Fern Grows...I remember my 4th grade teacher reading that to us and I sobbed at my desk with my head down...oh the memories