So much that is blogworthy and no time to do it. Now I am about three or more blogs behind and it is almost New Years. I'm jumping in!!
Christmas Eve
This holiday season was a bit different from most others. No Kirk...no Jordin...and we didn't even know if my mom would be in town. Jordi's due date was the day after Christmas and so my mom was ready to jet out of town at a moments notice. That left the rest of us to our own devices. It was weird. Since Stac had a newborn she and her family stayed at home for Christmas Eve, Tyler and the kids and I did our own thing, Kirk stayed in Utah and celebrated with the in-laws, Jordi was in Kansas City and she and Aaron spent time with friends, Kelley was working, and my mom ended up still being in town but was packing and getting ready to leave town...not the typical McClellan Christmas Eve Extravaganza.
I'm not that adaptable to change. I like tradition. I like BIG family fun. But I turned my frown upside down and ended up having a fun Christmas Eve with my own family...all by ourselves...the first time EVER! You who live far from family I just don't know how you do it. I am way too co-dependent.
We had a Fondue Party on Christmas Eve. It was fabulous. We did cheese and chocolate fondues with all kinds of things to dip. The kids gave me my Christmas gift from them early...an ELECTRIC fondue pot! I was ecstatic!!


After dinner the kids put on a Christmas Pageant according to Reilly's direction. It was hysterical...and very sweet. Ailey took her role as Mary very seriously...but Kameron was one WILD Joseph!!





Reilly did a great job of planning the program. She played the piano and we sang Christmas carols. Then it was jammie time!!


We have finally gotten a picture of Kameron doing his "George W. Bush" face!!
We started a new tradition last year with our kids that I really love. Tyler reads the Christmas Story from the scriptures by candlelight. Last year we were at my mom's and since my family isn't religious we bundled our kids up and took them outside onto the deck, lit a bunch of votive candles, and read the scriptures outside under a sky full of stars. It was so beautiful and such a special experience. This year we wanted to do something similar but since we had a ton of snow out on our deck we decided to stay inside. We unplugged all the Christmas lights, unplugged all the lights on both Christmas trees, and turned off every light. We then lit about ten candles and put them on our coffee table and Tyler read from the scriptures. It was the perfect thing to calm everyone down, to get quiet, and to think about another night long long ago in Bethlehem. Our kids LOVED IT! It was a great way to get them to focus on the Savior and not just the imminent arrival of Santa. After we were done the kids were yawning and ready for bed...FABULOUS!!
My other new favorite Christmas tradition that we started last year was even better this year. My friend,KariAnn, gave me the idea of wrapping Christmas books and putting them under the tree and using this as an "advent" calendar to count down the days until Christmas. Every night the kids take turns picking out a "present" from under the tree and we read a christmas story together. It has been wonderful!! Thanks KariAnn!! :)
Then it was time to set out cookies and eggnog for Santa...Santa prefers eggnog to milk at our house and he has been known to request diet coke!!
Finally it was bedtime!! It was actually quite a fun Christmas Eve. Tyler and I didn't get to bed though until after 3am. Santa's helpers don't get much sleep do they? ;)
Christmas Day
Christmas Morning was wonderful!! We took lots of pictures but I will spare you all the pictures of us in our early morning glory!! We had a fantastic Christmas Breakfast and then we got dressed and headed down to Stacey and John's house.
We have had a very "Stacey" holiday season with both Thanksgiving and Christmas at their place. Jordi still wasn't going into labor so my mom was still here but with bags packed. Jordi's doctor said that if she didn't go into labor naturally they would induce her on her due date so my mom was scheduled to fly to Kansas City the day after Christmas. It was strange not to have my mom as the "Grand dame" of Christmas. But Stacey did a fantastic job hostessing especially with a newborn in the house.
Christmas was WILD and their house was packed with people. It was so fun to see Jason, Starlee and their little boy Jack. Jason and Starlee moved from Houston to England about a year ago. They both work in the oil industry and Starlee got transferred to London. It was fun to hear all about their English Adventures. Jack, Dane and Ailey are all the same age and it was fun to see them all together. Starlee's friend Sam was there too. Sam is originally from England but lives in Houston. She and Starlee work for the same company. Sam was wonderful and so much fun. We ate amazingly well...King Crab Legs and Prime Rib not to mention tons of other amazing dishes. Sam brought tons of European Cheeses and gourmet foods. It was awesome!
My Uncle Steve was there too as my Aunt Margaret is still in Indonesia and their daughter Tania flew to Indonesia to join her there for the holidays. Uncle Steve is always the life of the party!!
Starlee and Steve
Then it was present time!! It was a MAD HOUSE with all the kids and wrapping paper flying!!





Then we sent out all the kids to watch a movie and it was the adults turn to open presents. As you all know our family draws names to fill stockings for each other. There is a $75 limit. This is the best part of the night!! ;) Tyler drew John's name, I had Jordi's and had to ship her package off to KC...not nearly as fun as watching her open everything. I swear I get more excited watching the people I bought for open all their things than I do opening all my gifts. Stacey had Tyler this year and my mom had me. She spoiled me rotten!! It was a very Vintage Christmas for me!! A darling vintage black and white purse and overnight bag plus lots more. She made me an awesome chalkboard for my kitchen out of an old window frame. I'll have to take picture later. Thanks Mom!!

The most hilarious gift of the night was from Starlee and Jason to Tyler, John, and Steve. They have been traveling all over Europe and when they went to the Czech Republic they were hiking and found a spring that is known for it's "magical" water. Legend says that the men who drink the water from the spring are blessed with AMAZING VIRILITY!! Star had wrapped up bottles of water for all the men. Tyler, John, and Steve toasted each other and chugged down their bottles of water. I wish I got a picture of this but I was laughing too hard. I'll have to let you know if this "magic" water does the trick as it is time to start trying to get pregnant again. Tyler has more of this water stashed in our fridge!!

Sam, Steve and my Mom
Cute little River enjoying her first Christmas hanging out with Aunt Kelley.That night we headed home late and ended up driving in a HUGE BLIZZARD!! The roads were TERRIBLE! There was no worry of falling asleep while driving. We were white knuckling it the whole way home.
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!! We had a GREAT one...different but fun!!

9 comments:
Your Christmas Eve sounds absolutely PERFECT! Our kids were so high strung we barely were able to get through the Christmas story. Glad that you had fun with your "different" Christmas. So did Jordin have her baby? You'll have to update us on your newest niece/nephew.
that is a lot of fun in this post. love the smile you have in the pic with your stocking and
wow, i love the stockings! what a fun night for you
ps- Fingers CROSSED that the water is helpful! :)
ps- river is just too cute.
Your Christmas Eve sounds like the kind I had every year growing up. Of course, I only remember it when I was older, so it always seemed really reverent sitting in candlelight and so focused on Christ. I've had to remind myself that it probably wasn't like that when I was my own kids' ages. But, we do that too:)
I bet Christmas Day was fun around all your family. Stacey's baby looks absolutely adorable. I bet she's a proud mama!
It's so weird to see Stacey holding that tiny baby all motherly - she's still 18 in my brain. Sounds like good times. Do you sugar-coat these blogs, or do all your events really turn out this picture perfect? Does Jordin have her baby yet?
What a great Christmas you had! I love your idea of reading the scriptures by candle light - have to try that next year!
Any water left? Good luck!!!!!!!
What a great Christmas, and you got to snuggle that baby. :) You guys had a different sort of Christmas like we did but still managed to make it a great one. You have some really neat traditions, the fondue thing is something Justin and I have to try very soon! :) Fun to read and see all the pictures, have a wonderful New Years!!!!
Love ya
It looks like you guys had a great Christmas! Has your sis had her baby yet?
Just got back into town--I've got SO much to try to catch up on . . .
Sounds like you guys had a wonderful holiday. I love the picture of Ailey and "Baby Jesus". She looks so beautiful!
My Dad always read the Christmas story from Luke II, and I loved his deep booming voice as he read. It was the perfect way to end the evening. We haven't done it in our home--we just settle for the Luke II movie. I miss it. So glad you started new traditions. Your kids will remeber them forever!
Post a Comment