Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year




We hope that you all have a sparkling and spectacular New Year!!

New Niece

Introducing Jaylah Adrienne...








Jaylah was born on December 27th at 7:09 pm. She weighed 6 lbs 9 oz and was 19 1/2 inches long. She has LOTS of dark hair and is an absolute doll!! Jordin was induced and had a very smooth delivery. Both she and Jaylah came through it just fine. Jordi had a good pregnancy without any complications, no high blood pressure, an easy delivery, and pushed for less than 20 minutes. Stacey and I absolutely CANNOT relate!! According to my Mom who got to Kansas City the day before Jaylah was born she is an absolute sweetheart and a good little eater.

Jordi and Aaron had lots of friends and family anxiously awaiting Jaylah's birth. Jordi had both of her parents there and Aaron's mom supporting them at the hospital. Jordin and Jaylah are home now and doing great!! Jordi will be coming out for a visit after her six week check and I can't wait to give my new sweet niece a kiss. It will be fun to see little River and little Jaylah together.

New Years Day

We spent the day on the sledding hill. Usually we spend New Years out at the lake and if we're lucky and the weather is just right we get to do some ice skating. But we had fun "coasting" as my Grandma likes to call it! ;) Growing up in Springdell sledding was an "extreme" sport...we had a fantastic route...and our favorite thing to do was go "night sledding". The neighbors that lived nearest the sledding hill would turn on a big flood light that illuminated part of the hill and we would sled late into the night. It was so much fun!!

This particular park has several hills. This is the main one. It is a lot steeper than this picture makes it look. Tyler and Reilly are up at the top waiting for their turn to go down.

Here they are halfway down...Reilly screaming like a banshee the whole way!!

Aaahhh...safe at the bottom!! You are always guaranteed good fast ride with Dad!!


This park has a smaller hill for the little guys to go on...although Kameron was brave and rode down the big hill with Dad. It also has a narrow hill that reminds me a lot of the sledding hill in Springdell. Especially when we would start up at the upper dell...wind through the trees...and shoot out down the hill in the lower dell. I learned to be an "expert" sledder riding that course with Kyle Patten and Tom Buss screaming "Lean!! Lean!!" in my ear.


The only thing we didn't do was eat jello in the snow...I didn't want to attempt it at the park...gross! My kids love doing that and so do I. You sprinkle jello in CLEAN snow and then lick it up. It tastes like a snow cone. My brother and sisters do it too especially when we go snowshoeing and are guaranteed some pristine snow. This is another "trick" learned in Springdell. I remember my first winter there I had just come sledding down the hill to find my friends licking yellow snow! Susan Western ghoulishly said "Krrriiiissssttttiiinnnn...come join us" and I ran screaming down the street. Becky Western brought me back and explained that it was just lemon jello. Since then it has been a family favorite. Cherry is the best. It's a good thing we usually go snowshoeing in remote areas because if anyone ever came upon us licking red snow we might freak people out!! So...if you ever drive by our house and it looks like something has been murdered in the front yard (a Mrs. Beasley Free Zone) don't worry the kids have just been eating a delicious cherry treat!! ;)
HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Best Wishes for 2008!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristin-I got your christmas card the other day and thought I would check out your blog. (We moved again so the mail was slow at forwarding things.) I got a great laugh out of the memories of the "Dell". What fun times those were! It was a little peace of heaven on earth! I am glad to hear that your are passing some great "Dell" traditions on to your children. I try, but with living where we are somethings just aren't the same. I am going to start blogging but it might take me awhile to get it up and going. I am so un-knowlegable when it comes to these things. It has been so fun reading yours and Namio's today that I feel "inspired". Love Ya, Becky Western-Loveless

Kelly said...

Jello snow! Who knew! I am totally going to buy some jello today. Day 12 of our winter vacation and I have to say I am a little snowed out. I am am officially a Texan and ready to get back to hot and steamy.

But now that I know that I can EAT the snow, I might make it the next 4 days. Snow and sugar, shaking my head, who knew it could be so easy!

Happy New Year!

Kristin said...

Becky-

I am so excited to hear from you!! I hope you do start a blog and soon. I can't wait!! ;)

andrea said...

Love the idea about the Jello snow. My kids love to eat snow and the jello would make it even yummier.

Tiffany said...

How bad do I want to sled??? My kids have very few experiences on a sled, I'm sad to say. Looks like a blast.
Congrats to Jordi and her cute new baby!

Lara said...

Happy New Year!

Those look like some wild rides. I am okay with going down the little hills at Chase Middle School.

As for jello snow - never heard of it but I'm sure my kids would love it. Everytime I'm outside I am constantly telling Sean to stop eating the snow - he is not real picky - any snow that is handy will do (yuck!!!)

Your new niece looks totally adorable!!!!

KariAnn said...

looks you had a fun festive New Years. I love the jello idea, we'll definitely try that one! Your new niece is adorable.

Valynn said...

I have never heard of jell-o snow before. We will definitely have to try it since we are a snow eating family. Kyle keeps getting in trouble at pre-school for eating the snow off of people’s shoes…yuck! He must get to snow eating desire from me, because I have been known to go and scoop myself and big bowl of fresh snow to eat!

Valynn

[alisar] said...

Oh MAN, I love that park. Brings back some of my favorite memories from last year.
I love the picture of your family in the candlelight.
Your new niece is darling! And I LOVE her name. I've never heard it before. Very very cool.
In 2008 I look forward to reading many wonderful blog posts from you! Thanks for the gorgeous card too.

Hannah said...

How fun Kristen, I must say you are brave on the slopes, I am such a wimp and think I am going to die every time I attempt the small hills. :) I do like the idea of jello snow though and that is such a great prank to pull on people, red snow....yum, yum! ;)
Happy New Year to you and yours as well and give our best to Jordin!
XOXOXO

Victoria said...

Your niece is adorable! I love all your pictures too. Happy New Year!!

jordinb.mcclellan said...

I am so jealous that I was not with the Johnson's on New Years. You all looked like you were having so much fun! I miss sledding as well. It has been forever since I have done that! THank you so much for announcing little Jaylah! You truly are a wonderful and thoughtful sister/aunt for my little one! You did better at your blog than I did for sure! I miss you all so much! I can't wait to see you and neither can Jaylah and Aaron! We are looking forward to a wonderful trip! I love u and thanks for everything