#41 Measure of a Lady by Deeanne Gist
This is a book that I saw exchanging hands between quite a few of my friends so I thought I would check it out. This is the story of Rachel Van Buren who along with her younger sister and brother end up stranded/orphaned/ penniless in the the gold rush madness of San Francisco in 1849. Rachel meets the dastardly Johnnie Parker, the handsome saloon owner, who takes her under his wing and protection and with whom she ultimately falls in love against her better judgement and strict morals.
This book was an easy read. It reminded me of a series of books that I read in Jr. High where there was a picture of a girl on the front with two different guys on either side of her and each book was set in a different time period. Every book was about a different girl in a different time choosing between different men. They were fun, romantic, and sexless...very chaste for a nice girl in Jr. High. This book was a lot like those...not deep... pretty predictable...but refreshingly chaste and wholesome.
My rating: Better than OK ...leaning toward GOOD...if you like Frontier Fluff...which I do...sometimes...even though I am not in Jr. High anymore. (Thank goodness!!)
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Posted by Kristin at 4:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment