Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Out with the Old...

And in with the New...


Inauguration Day. A day of change. Regardless of my political affiliation I am grateful to live in a free country where leaders are elected by the vote of the people and not by violence. I am fascinated by the political process and thus find Inauguration day interesting even if it isn't the person that I voted for being sworn in.

I am also very grateful for President George W. Bush and for the service and sacrifice he has given to our country. I think he is a good man who did his best under extremely difficult circumstances and I think he deserves more respect than he has gotten over the years. I appreciate his dedication to our country, it's safety, and the men and women of the armed forces.

While I don't believe that Barack Obama is the holy messiah come down from heaven to single-handedly save the United States of America I do wish him well.

The historical significance of this election has been one of the most moving aspects of the Inauguration...especially on the heels of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.


I am grateful for programs like Family Home Evening that allow Tyler and I, as parents, the opportunity to take time with our children to discuss what is happening in our country, what has been happening in our country, and what has happened in our country and to be able to tie in the gospel with all that is going on around us. I am grateful for the Internet that allows us to not only hear but witness Dr. King's incredible "I Have a Dream" speech and to feel of the spirit in Washington DC that day.

I am so impressed by our children are so much more informed about civil rights than I ever was as a child. Kameron, while just 8 years old, was telling us all about Rosa Parks and Ruby Gates. Kuddos to the amazing school that he and Reilly attend. We were in awe of the depth of his knowledge.

I also had the opportunity to attend their school's MLK Jr. Day assembly on Friday where Reilly's 6th grade choir was performing. She sang in a quartet "We Shall Overcome" and had a teacher near me in tears. We had her sing it again for our family in our FHE and again it was moving and significant.

I am grateful to be a citizen of the United States and I will pray for President Obama that he might have the wisdom, strength, character, and fortitude needed for the job as President of the United States of America.


God Bless America!!

3 comments:

kate said...

You set a great example to follow on all that you as parents are teaching your kids. Thanks for your take. I agree w. you completely on all of it. Obama has huge and totally unrealistic expectations on him but thats why we have such a great system. Heh, I actually got to hear Rosa Parks when she came to BYU to speak in 91or 92.(cnt rmbr the exct date) It was interesting how humble and still shellshocked she seemed by people's awe for her. Or it could be that she had way too many enthusiastic, smiling, mormon young adult faces making her a bit nervous!

Hannah said...

I agree with you about today, I felt myself feeling very patriotic this morning watching all of it on tv. It's all a part of our great history in tha making. Thanks for your post! :)

Naomi said...

As always, you express yourself so beautifully. I have felt a little detached from the whole inaguration thing, so it was nice to read your touching comments. I think that I was so burned out by the whole Prop 8 push, that I haven't had too much interest in politics. Or maybe it was that all five kids (and one house guest) have been sick as dogs this past week. :)

I too, have been impressed with how the civil rights have been taught to our kids. "Martyr Luther King" as Josh called him, is sure to be looking down--amazed that his "dream" has come true in relatively so short a time. It is a great time in our history, indeed!

I really don't see much changing--just politics as usual. . .