Monday, January 26, 2009

The Wacky World of Scouts


Kameron started Cub Scouts in November and all I have to say is that this is a world that I don't understand...at all. It is weird. They do weird things. They say weird things. AND...Kameron LOVES it!! I had no previous knowledge whatsoever of scouting...I have one brother and he didn't start cub scouts until I had left for college...ergo...complete ignorance...and a bit of a shock. Is it all about Indians? The Jungle Book? I am baffled.

We went to the Boy Scout Store before Christmas and Kameron was in little boy heaven!! He was running here and there looking at all the "treasures"...expensive treasures... for being a scrap of fabric. As the cashier was ringing us up she asked if I would like to purchase the badge adhesive. Um...no. Apparently she couldn't tell just by looking at me that I have sewing skills...remember my goal for 2008 of learning to sew. I don't have "great" skills but I could surely sew around a few patches. Please. No...on the "adhesive". BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!

I forgot to sew on Kameron's patches during the holidays and as his first pack meeting was approaching he was getting a complex and reminded me that he REALLY NEEDED his patches sewn on before his pack meeting. So I blew the dust off my sewing machine on Wednesday and got to work.

Look how positive I was to begin with...I even thought this would make a good blog post...I will take a picture!!

I don't know what impenetrable fabric those %@#$ patches are made of but they are nearly impossible to sew!! (Are NASA and the military aware of it's ability to repel metal?) I was able to sew on his biggest patch on his sleeve with my machine but by the time I sewed on his World Crest patch it looked like a blind alcoholic was at the machine. I had to rip it out and start again...only to rip it out and start it yet again...only to rip it out and hand stitch it. Hand stitching seemed to go a bit better but I still had three more patches to put on. By now this was rapidly turning into an all day project. One that crippled my fingers for days which were covered in scratches and pokes. I was bleeding from multiple sites. Tyler called during the day and I told him about the nightmare of sewing these patches on. He said: "Are you using a thimble?" A thimble!! What am I a pioneer? Of course I don't own a thimble!! Why don't I just get a loom and weave the cloth too? Anyway the patches finally got sewn on and Kameron was thrilled. He didn't notice that his pack # is on a severe slant and stained in my blood. But they are on and that is all that matters. Am I missing something? Is there a trick to getting those suckers on? Is it my pathetic sewing skills? From now on it is adhesive all the way!!

Kameron got his Bobcat after working hard to memorize all the cub scout stuff. I feel like I should've gotten a badge too for memorizing them right along with him. Just try me..."The cub scout follows Akela...blah blah blah".

To all of you who work with these CRAZY and WILD little boys in a CRAZY and BIZARRE program my hat is off to you and you have my sincere gratitude for your service. Lara, you are AMAZING and apparently have the patience of a saint!! Thanks for all you do.

Kameron proudly receiving his Bobcat. He was so excited!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kam! You are quickly becomming a thrifty, reverent, kind, etc little man! We are proud of you! And same goes to you Kristin! You are a super mom. Stop being so selfish and let your kids do something...

Carolyn said...

I also politely declined the adhesive. I then sewed on my first patch and went directly back to the scout store and got the adhesive. I'm proud of you for sticking with it (or not "sticking" with it. he-he)

Way to go Kameron on earning your Bobcat!

carlo said...

i too do not get the boy portion of scouts.

having 2 girls, i supposed that is ok!

i do, however, get the girl side of it and they do some wacky things too but i love it.

how are you feeling these days??

finally popped over.

Tiffany said...

You are so stinking funny. I just hear your voice the whole time I'm reading this. I too am baffled by the scouting thing. Jack is not quite there yet. Isn't it where they learn MacGyver-type stuff? How to get out of a bind with twigs and gum? You'll have to keep me posted. And I feel for your poor little fingers. Maybe you should get a thimble. Do they still make those?

Lara said...

Scouts weird?! Yeah, okay that about sums it up! It has been a fun eye opener being in scouts.

Way to go Kameron for getting his bobcat so quickly (and for mom too!)

Have fun sewing that one on too!

And thanks for enduring a very long pack meeting! Usually they are over much quicker.

Jayni and Jake said...

It's so fun to catch up!!! This blog made me laugh out loud - I'm so glad I read it before my boys start scouts. I have to agree with you on being anti-water while pregnant......and I wished I would have tried the Sweetened Condensed Milk.....that actually sounds sooo good right now....mmmm

Valynn said...

The adhesive is worth every penny! I too tried to sew them on by myself at first and then realized that the reason they sell the darn adhesive is because it is nearly impossible to sew those patches on. :)

Congrats to Kameron for earning his Bobcat!

[alisar] said...

Not only is my 8-year-old in Scouts, but my husband is the scout master - so we get to live and breathe this stuff. Jealous much?

kate said...

Scouts is awesome. heh, I'm outnumbered so I just sit back and laugh at how funny boys are..they speak their own language.

Naomi said...

I was cracking up over this post! I have SO been there. Thank your lucky stars that you only have one boy to go through all of this. Just wait until pinewood derby. Kev swore that he would never make another car--I told him that he was just beginning. We have three more boys to go through all of this.

As for the patches, I've got two words for you--invisible thread. They have it at Walmart, and it is like a clear nylon that is see through so you can sew where ever you want and it doesn't show at all. It is great for those patches. I used the adhesive before and the patches started to fall off at a pack meeting. He lost a few "arrows" as a result. It is loads of fun, though!