Friday, January 30, 2009

Book Review #51



OK... I am loving this author and this Welsh Trilogy. Book Two starts up where the Here Be Dragons ends and completes the story of Llewelyn, the Prince of Wales, and his wife Joanna. The story then picks up with Llewelyn's sons and grandsons and their conflicts and turmoil as rulers of Wales. That story line runs parallel with the story of Simon de Montfort's rise to power. Simon is a French Nobleman who marries Eleanor (Nell) sister of King Henry III of England. Nell is also the Lady Joanna's half sister. Simon de Montfort ends up mounting a civil war against Henry III.

About half way through the book I felt like the author had abandoned the tale of the Rulers of Wales and focused solely on de Montfort. According to the author that is exactly what happened because the story of Simon de Montfort was so compelling that the Rulers of Wales took a back seat to be picked up again in Book 3. I hope so. I love the Welsh storyline. That said I also REALLY liked Simon de Montfort and his family. I think Penman should have just focused on them rather than drop the Welsh like a hot potato half way through. It was a little jarring.

This book had less of a love story...although the marriage of Simon and Nell was a wonderful story of a devoted marriage...but the focus of this book was more on the battles and intrigues of war, politics and the religious ideology of the time. I loved Simon de Montfort and the de Montfort sons and their relationship with and devotion to their father. This book had a completely different feel from book one but I definitely enjoyed it. I can't wait to read book three. This is wonderful historical fiction!!

My rating: Better than good but not quite excellent due to the storyline switch but
still a fantastic read.

0 comments: