Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Two Light Spring Recipes

I have Spring Fever. I'm done with winter...even though I have been LOVING our mild winter this year. But as Spring is approaching it affects my cooking. I don't feel like eating the heavier winter comfort foods...I start craving healthier meals. I have been scouring blogs, magazines, and cookbooks for some new healthy recipes to add to my repertoire.

Here are two delicious recipes that are light, healthy, economical, and vegetarian (or not) that you should give a try. I made these and my family loved both and I have since made them each a few more times to rave reviews.

Black Bean Couscous Salad

(I found this recipe on a blog...can't remember where...but I've tweaked it a bit to make it my own. This is probably my favorite recipe of the two even though I really love both. I triple this recipe. It's really good for lunch the next day.)

1 cup uncooked couscous
1 1/4 chicken broth (I use bouillon because I am cheap and it doesn't affect the taste either way)
3 T extra virgin olive oil
2 T fresh lime juice (I use way more than this because I like it to have a real zing)
1 T red wine vinegar (I add more than this too because I like it tangy)
Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
8 chopped green onions
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro ( I probably add more because I love cilantro)
1 bag frozen corn, thawed
2 cans black beans, drained
salt and pepper to taste

Bring chicken broth to a boil and stir in couscous. Cover pot and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Then fluff with a fork and break up any large chunks.

Whisk together olive oil, lime juice, cayenne pepper and vinegar. Add green onions, red pepper, cilantro, corn, and beans and toss to coat. Add couscous and mix well. Can serve at once or can be refrigerated.

Wild Rice Mango Salad

(I got this off my sister Stacey's Dining Divas blog. Very good. I have also slightly tweaked this recipe as well. I usually double the recipe...due to the avocado it's best to be eaten the day you make it.)

1 cup wild rice, uncooked
2 cups shredded, cooked chicken breasts (I usually leave this out and add two cups cashews instead...very good!!)
1 avocado, diced
1 large ripe mango, diced
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 T orange juice (I usually add more...I like it orange-y)
1 T olive oil
1/2 t. cayenne pepper (I usually add more)
garlic powder to taste (about 1-2 T)
salt and pepper to taste

(If you do add chicken still add at least a cup of cashews as well. It's really good.)

Cook rice and cool slightly. In a large bowl, combine nuts, (chicken if added), avocado, mango, red pepper, and green onions. In a small bowl, combine orange juice, oil, cayenne, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss with rice mixture. Can eat right away.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

Yum, I must be hungry--both of those sound seriously delicious! Anything with cashews in it gets my vote.

I'll have to try the rice salad on croissants to make it even better!

[alisar] said...

I can't wait to try these!