Monday, June 20, 2011

Flag Day Parade



This weekend Kameron had the opportunity to march in the Flag Day Parade. (I got to march too as a parent volunteer ) It turned out to be a lot of fun. There were lots of scouts, veterans, marching bands, and my favorite, bag pipers. I loved it. The scouts got to march down to Veteran's Memorial Park where they got to witness a flag retirement ceremony and listen to several speakers: the mayor and several veterans. I found it all quite fascinating. Our whole family attended and really enjoyed the event.

The girls waiting for the parade to begin. Check out all that water!!

In formation and ready to go!! We only had six scouts who were able to attend which is unfortunate but for the boys that participated, I think it was a neat experience.


Chad, Kam, and Jacob



It turned out that Tyler knew the bag piper. They work together. He was fantastic!!

Very interesting!! They retired quite a few flags and some of the wood they used to burn them with was sent from Mount Vernon.

Not only did we feel patriotic...but two other interesting events occurred. First, Ailey got to meet the Mayor. We were walking back from the event together and she was very nice to chit chat with Ailey. Even though I think our mayor is a blithering idiot... it showed Ailey that girls can grow up to be anything they want to be which was neat. And...Tyler was interviewed by the Spokesman Review about his feelings about scouting and patriotism. Cool huh? Not a bad way to spend a drizzly Saturday morning.

2 comments:

andrea said...

Awesome! I love the picture with Sheri in the background orchestrating the whole event. Jonah met the mayor once at IHOP. It was surprisingly exciting.

Lara said...

It was a great event! Thanks for marching too.

Glad Tyler got interviewed - I was pretty sad at the lack of media attention it got. Know one even knows it happened - the only thing they highlighted in the news for that Saturday was BOB Fest and the Slut Walk. No wonder our country is falling apart.