What I Read Over Christmas Break
This Christmas break my whole family was sick and so we had more down time than we usually do. That gave me more time to snuggle on the couch with my heated throw blanket and a book. I read three books over the break...all three very different...and yet each was enjoyable in its own way.
I put this book on hold several months ago after reading George W. Bush's book Decision Points which I really enjoyed. I like to learn about things, in this case their eight years in the White House and the events that transpired, from all angles...his perspective...her perspective. It will undoubtedly put me on the road to reading more political memoirs. I've got a few in mind right now.
As a First Lady I never really paid Laura Bush much attention. She didn't always seem to crave the spotlight like Hillary Clinton did and as a result she faded into the background of the political scene. I am afraid I somewhat bought into the media bias of her being the little submissive wifey to President Bush. I was wrong.
This was a fantastic memoir. I really enjoyed learning more about Laura Bush. It was so refreshing. I found her writing to be personal and candid especially for being such a private person. In the book she talks about what it was like growing up in West Texas, her young adulthood, and her marriage and family in addition to their time in the White House. I loved the insight she gave on President Bush as a man, husband and father and the deep toll the presidency took on him.
I was rather ignorant of what it meant to be the First Lady of the United States of America which is so much more than just being the President's wife. It was interesting to learn about what causes Mrs. Bush is passionate about...I really had no idea that she was such a champion of women's rights, children's rights, literacy and the arts. I was fascinated by her travels, her relationships with foreign dignitaries, and her perspective on all the dramatic events that occurred during their eight years in the White House. She brought me to tears while reading about the tragedies of 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina and her meetings with the families of the victims and the men and women in the armed forces serving our country. She writes with such grace, humility, compassion and empathy.
I feel that she has been misunderstood by many and has not been seen as the independent, intelligent, and passionate woman who has been working quietly and diligently behind the scenes to make the world a better place without seeking recognition or the spotlight.
It was interesting to read her thoughts and feelings about the mockery and ridicule that was directed at her husband by the media and the politicians in Washington which she handled with grace and dignity. I particularly liked this quote from the book:
"It is easy to criticize a sitting president when you are not the one in the Oval office, when you are not responsible for the decisions that must be made for the whole of the nation. I thought of that when I heard the daily rants from the campaign trail. It got so that even the weather was George's fault. I wondered if Barack Obama, who spent far more time attacking George than he did his opponent John McCain, would want to amend his words once he discovered the reality of the White House and was himself confronted by the challenges and crises that hit a president every day, all day." (page 420)
That just furthers my belief that being President of the United States is a thankless job at times and there is so much we do not even know that goes into the Presidency and the toll it takes on those who hold the office.
This is a wonderful book in which Mrs. Bush shares her struggles, her hopes and her faith. I appreciate it when authors are not afraid to discuss their faith and their relationship with the Lord. It is also a love letter not only to Texas but to the United States of America. I highly recommend this book.
My Rating: Excellent
I also read this book:
This is probably not a book I would have just picked up as it about ageing and how to age well and with grace while still enjoying your life and contributing to society. The intended audience are those ages 60 and up or currently in their "Third Act" as Jane Fonda puts it.
I first heard about this book when I was on a long road trip with my mother this summer. We were driving and listening to satellite radio when an interview came on with Jane Fonda discussing this book. It was a very interesting interview that sparked a great conversation between me and my mother as we drove.
Jane Fonda is definitely the poster girl for baby boomers. Yes, my mom loves her too. This book was fairly entertaining and easy to read because Jane Fonda sounds like several of my mom's good friends who are always up to something interesting...be it meditation, past life regression, or some other aspect of new age spirituality. While I certainly don't subscribe to all her views on life and politics, I do think there was quite a bit of take away value and practical advice.
She discusses every aspect of aging:
-Staying Positive
-Eating well
-Exercise
-Finance
-Spirituality
-Meditation
-Giving of oneself
-Contributing to your community
-Imparting wisdom and knowledge to future generations
-Staying connected
-Active Learning
-Sense of Humor
-Sexuality (This was a little TMI in my opinion)
Her book is well researched with experts in each area ranging from medical doctors, psychologists, nutritionists, attorneys, financial planners, ministers, philosophers, sex therapists and even Buddhist Zen Masters. There is something for everyone!
Jane talks about seeing life as a staircase of continual ascent rather than an arch with a peak and a downward slide. Jane sees herself and other baby boomers entering their Third Act as "pioneers" in an a new kind of ageing...especially now that people are living longer and more productive lives.
"Ours is the generation to make this... [revolutionary paradigm shift]. It will represent a seismic shift for the world around us, particularly for our children and young friends. Whether we like it or not, we have become the first role models for the younger generations of how to prepare for the last third of life." (Pages 15-16)
This book gave me a lot to think about and I particularly liked her idea of a life review. You review where you've come from, where you are now, and where you are going. This is something that can be done every year...not necessarily only in your third act of life.
This book contains many personal stories, statistics, ideas, and strategies for aging well, living successfully and what Jane the "longevity revolution."
My Rating: Okay...more for people 60 years of age and older.
Next I read:
I read this book to have something that Reilly and I could enjoy together. She, of course, loved it and hounded me to read it. I read it pretty much in one day while feeling sick. It was definitely an easy and enjoyable read. It doesn't require much intellectual digestion or reflection. Perfect for sick bed reading.
While I breezed through the book and stayed interested I still wasn't exactly enthralled. I am getting super sick of the YA Flavor of the Year(s) the dystopian love triangle. Can we not shake things up a bit and read about star-crossed lovers that circumstances keep apart? Does there always have to be a triangle? Bella, Edward, Jacob and Katniss, Peta, and Gale. On and on...now this book. It's just getting a little old and trite.
I thought the prose was interesting. The intentionally precise language that lent itself well to the sterile society. Other than that...I read it...was briefly interested...but don't have much of a burning desire to read the next one in the series.
My Rating: Okay...unless you are 15 years old and then you will LOOOOVE it!!
Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Posted by Kristin at 7:37 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment