Friday, November 29, 2013

Thankful Day #29

Thankful Day #29

I am thankful that I made the decision to be a stay-at-home mom. It is such a huge blessing in my life. I love being able to be with my children during the day...and be there if they need me during the day...and getting them to all the different places that they need to go to in the evening. I love watching these kids grow and develop into amazing human beings. I appreciate all the hard work that Tyler has put in over the last seventeen years so that I have been able to be a full-time mother. I am grateful that he sees the importance of it. Sometimes people have said to me "You are so lucky that you get to stay home." Luck has had nothing to do with it...more like sacrifice. Sacrifice and hard work. The sacrifice of Tyler not being home in the evenings for MANY years, sacrifice of lots of luxuries, vacations, me-time, and all kinds of things, but I wouldn't change it for the world. I love my job...and no I "don't go crazy being home" nor do I "not work".  Some of my biggest pet peeves are people who say "I would go crazy being a stay-at-home mom!! Or "What do you do all day?" or "Do you work or are you just a stay-at-home mom?" Ha ha!! Hilarious. The most insulting thing I have ever had someone say to me...right after I told her that I was a SAHM... was... in referring to herself... "I am too intelligent to be a stay-at-home mom." Wow. I personally feel that the work (oh yes it is work!!) that I do in raising my children is the most important work there is and that I could ever do. I know that many women have to work for various reasons and I have had to go back to work twice in raising my own children and may have to go back to work again...you never know. Some women work because they want too...great... more power to you. But being a stay-at-home mother has been the biggest blessing in my life and I love it.

Tyler asked me on a road trip a few weeks ago what my "dream job" would be. I told him that I am doing it. I love being a mom and having my little business on the side. I am living my dream job and not everyone can say that. That is huge. That is a gift. I am blessed. Never have I felt like I have wasted my education, time, nor talents. I have put every single college course I have ever had to good use...particularly my major...psychology!! Not one bit of my education has been wasted. As far as intelligence goes... my kids are crafty little suckers. Thank goodness I am intelligent so that I can always stay two steps ahead of them at all times. As I like to remind them...I AM EVERYWHERE and for the most part ALL-KNOWING. ;)

I love that my kids know that I am there for them whenever they need me. Like this day:


Sometimes high school just plain sucks and you need to get away for 30 minutes. Sometimes you just need your mom to pick you up from school, go on a Starbucks run for cotton candy frappes, get a pep talk about how smart, talented, funny, and beautiful you are, and have her write you a note to get you back into class. It is my privilege to be the one to do it.

So while the hours are long; the job is exhausting and stressful; paydays can be few and far between; and I don't think I have ever laid eyes on a bon bon. The pay off is priceless. I can tell you that when my life is over I will never regret a single day that I spent being a stay-at-home mom raising my children.

1 comments:

Naomi said...

This post is so awesome! It made my post-Christmas day!!