Thursday, January 07, 2016

Reilly Comes Home!

Reilly Comes Home!!

We were so excited for Reilly to come home from Utah for ten days over Christmas Break. We just couldn't wait for her to get here and neither could she. I have adjusted pretty well to her being in Utah now and a new normal has been established but I still couldn't wait to have all of our children at home.

Reilly flew in early on the 19th. We all went to the airport to pick her up. The kids and I went in to get her and Tyler circled with the car. We were there a little early so it was fun to see her plane arrive and to see her walk through the security section to where we were waiting with other excited people waiting for their loved ones. I promptly burst into tears. It was a theme for this visit. I have become THAT Mom. The one continually weeping with joy...yes, that happened constantly during her visit. The one who can't get through a prayer without choking up. Good grief. I have turned into my mother-in-law. :) Oh well. It is what it is. I get it now.


Now the holidays could begin!!


Our little girl officially all grown up and traveling on her own.


Hard to believe that these two fought like cats and dogs before she left. Look at them now. You can include me in that equation too. Senior year was ROUGH!! Wise Dr. Morgan was right...they have to soil the nest in order to leave it, and then when they return to visit they are pretty delightful.

We ended up running a few errands. The kids needed to do their Christmas shopping for each other and for their cousins so we ventured out into the craziness.


Tyler found this crazy one piece hat and beard combo. He put them on and then went to find Brynnie. With the shriek of fear she let out and the terror in her eyes you would have thought that she saw el diablo rather than old St. Nick. We were dying laughing. No worries about her getting up in the night on Christmas Eve. She did not want to run into that guy again!!


Ailey was less terrifying in her elf hat and ears.


We tried out a new restaurant in our area. A creperie!! It was scrumptious. Yay, interesting new restaurants are coming to Spokane. We got sweet crepes and savory crepes. All were fantastic. Bryn had a birthday party and missed out. She was miffed.

Reilly wanted to do some baking while she was in town and I was more than happy to let her. It really was so nice to kick back and relax while my girls took over the kitchen. Here they are making me and Reilly's very favorite cookies...Chocolate No Bakes.




This year we made five different kinds of cookies: chocolate crinkles, chocolate no bakes, frosted lemon cookies, snickerdoodles, and my Grandma Ellersick's coconut macaroons and we made double batches of all of them. We also made lemon bread and gum drop bread. Those are Tyler's family's traditions but we have kicked them up a notch and improved on the original recipes. Ailey made two batches of gingerbread muffins. We made my Grandma Ellersick's divinity, pecan fudge, and we finally found the very best fudge recipe of all time!! Thanks Amy!!  We assembled a bunch of treat plates for neighbors and friends and Tyler and the kids delivered them. Reilly got to see several families that she has missed which was fun.


The best fudge ever!!

I also managed to schedule two different doctor appointments and a dental appointment for Reilly while she was in town. Apparently doctors offices and dental offices hold open some appointment times during the week between Christmas and New Years to squeeze those college kids in while they are home. Who knew?! It was a little crazy running all around and getting to those appointments but it was also a lot of fun.


We spent most of our time laughing!! I was laughing so hard at times that I had to pull over. Reilly is one of the most hilarious people I know and it was great to laugh and to enjoy being together again. There are some perks to kids growing up and moving out. I feel like our relationship is ten times better without the constant power struggle. That is not to say that things were all rosy. There were still a few power struggles and sibling bickering but all in all it really was fantastic.


Where are all the pictures of Kameron? Turns out 15 year old boys don't like having their pictures taken. Weird. FYI--They also don't like hugging their mothers. Luckily Kam lost a bet with me and now has to give me a 20 second hug each and every day (I count.) It's delightful. Hey, you do what you've gotta do!!


We made two huge batches of chex mix and ate ourselves sick. This is my absolute weakness. Usually when I make it I have to have Tyler take it to work to get it out of the house. We munched it and watched a bunch of movies. We had a huge Star Wars marathon to get ready to see The Force Awakens. We played games pretty much every night. We ate out and also had some great family dinners. Just seeing everyone sitting around the table made me tear up literally every night...to the great mockage of my children. Oh well. What can you do?


One of our many game nights!!


We played in the all the snow!! We got a TON of snow this year and still do.




We played at Manito Park and went to hunt down a mysterious field of Christmas blow molds. Several years ago coming back from the lake late one night around Christmas time I happened to glance out my window and could have sworn that I saw an entire field of Christmas blow molds. Being the vintage lover that I am...blow molds are my jam. Especially cool Christmas ones. I screeched for Tyler to stop, turn around, go back, and try to find them. But that night the kids were all asleep, the roads were bad, and it was super late so he refused to my great irritation. Years and years have gone by and I have talked about finding that magical mystical field of blow molds but have never done it. This year we were on a mission. I kept telling the kids that they would not believe how cool it is and to keep their eyes peeled for a "field of blow molds."  They would point out a house here and there with one or two. I told them that they would freak out when they saw it and and guess what? They did. It was AWESOME!!

Prepare to be amazed...









Are you getting the scope of it all? It was completely magical and I was in heaven. The owner of these is sitting on an absolute fortune in vintage blow molds.  The angel choir below was my absolute favorite and took my breathe away. I told you...vintage blow molds are my jam.


Unbelievable!!

This field of blow molds (are you tired of hearing me say "blow mold") was one of my Christmas highlights as was our family's caroling rendition of the Twelve Days of Christmas which also happened to occur on the same night. My particular favorite was Kameron's flawless Barack Obama impression which was how he chose to perform his parts of the song. Kameron has been hiding THAT light under a bushel.


We Tim Tam Slammed as per tradition. We actually found some Tim Tams in Spokane. We thought Reilly was going to have to bring them with her from Utah. She had found some there in a weird little grocery store. They are kind of elusive. But so worth it.


We went and saw Star Wars when my brother Kirk and his family got into town. It was great but the end left me saying...What?!  Also Kameron isn't the only one who can do impressions. I feel that my Mark Hamill in the Force Awakens is JUST as good. Right Kam? ;)


Also, go see this movie... SO GOOD!!


I have seen it more than once now with friends and with family and all the people that I have forced to watch it with me have LOVED IT!! (Except maybe Kirk but he has terrible taste in movies. He made us watch Mars Attacks. I rest my case.) It is SO GOOD!! Trust me.


Once my nephew Kirin got into town it was all that we could do not to eat him up. Those cheeks!!



Baby Burrito

We hung out downtown and ate at Nudo Ramen House. So divine!! My current favorite restaurant. We went to Riverfront Park and played and rode the carousel.


Kirk and Meki...and Bryn in the back


Kaiya and Ailey




We also hung out at the lake. The lake was frozen over but not that great so we didn't let the kids go too far out or really play or skate on it. But it was a beautiful day anyway!!



Dane with Elle, Bryn, Kaiya and Ailey


Kirk with his dog Kuma and my mom's dog Maggie Mae





My Mom, my Aunt Ade and Stacey


Bryn, Elle, and River


Me and Stacey with our Uncle John





Kameron!! He was a pretty good sport.



Kirk and Meki and Kaiya. Tarren and Kaiden were in Utah and Kirin was inside with Reilly and Justin. (Yes, they are still together.)




While out at the lake we got to do some night sledding which is always fun and my personal favorite way to go sledding.


The hill was perfect. The kids all brought their sleds and we used 4 of the old runner sleds which were by far superior. Kids and adults alike were taking runs down the hill. It was a blast!
Bryn totally surprised us. She got on an old runner sled, figured out how to steer it with her feet, and would tear down the hill completely fearless and in control.




We thought that it looked very Narnia-esque out there that night. :)

It really was a fantastic time having everyone home, spending time with family, playing, and enjoying the holidays together.


0 comments: