Winter Book Reviews
Here's what I have been reading lately. I have been on a weird Scientology journey. People say Mormons are weird...not even. It has been disturbing and fascinating. And... I've read some fun things too.
Starting off with Scientology. You know how I get... I start reading something or see something and then I end up on some crazy side adventure. That's what happened with Scientology. It all started with me watching the documentary Going Clear. You always hear about Scientology and famous Scientologists and yet you don't hear much about their actual doctrine and beliefs. So I watched the documentary. I figured that it would be a bunch of ex-members who were now disgruntled outspoken critics of the religion so I took it all with a grain of salt. The film was really quite compelling and equal parts fascinating and horrifying; and it left me wanting to know more. I knew that there was more to the story and people that were portrayed in the documentary so I decided to read the book that it was based upon. I couldn't put the book down. It was mesmerizing. I forced Tyler to read it too. He ended up listening to the audio version...which is great. I cannot tell you how many nights we have stayed up late discussing the craziness of L.Ron Hubbard, the current sociopathic leader David Miscavage, and crazy Tom Cruise. Fascinating stuff I tell you!!
Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright
From Goodreads:
A clear-sighted revelation, a deep penetration into the world of Scientology... Lawrence Wright uses his extraordinary investigative skills to uncover for us the inner workings of the Church of Scientology: its origins in the imagination of science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard; its struggles to find acceptance as a legitimate (and legally acknowledged) religion; its vast, secret campaign to infiltrate the U.S. government; and its dramatic efforts to grow and prevail after the death of Hubbard.
I found this book interesting and extremely disturbing. You need to have someone read it with you because you will absolutely need someone to discuss all the crazy things you are reading about with. I, personally, think this would be a fantastic non-fiction book for a book club. SO MUCH TO DISCUSS!! I really can't believe that people belong to this church and go along with their practices. Truly they get sucked in and can't get out. (Hello John Travolta!) The Bible says that by their fruits ye shall know them...and the fruits of this religion are rotten.
This book then lead me onto read Troublemaker by Leah Remini and watching various news programs on Youtube that showed interviews with Miscavage and L. Ron Hubbard and others. I read this book with my phone in my hand so that I could google people, places and events. It's been a weird ride learning about Scientology and I am done now. It did leave me feeling terribly sorry for John Travolta, loathing Tom Cruise, and absolutely incredulous about the things this so-called religion has done and continues to do. So disturbing.
My Rating: Very Good...but I didn't love how Wright tried to off and on compare Mormons to Scientologists and L.Ron Hubbard to Joseph Smith. Not even in the same ballpark. It was okay and not too bad until the epilogue. One sentence in the epilogue took this book from a five star to a four star.
TroubleMaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology by Leah Remini
So, of course, I had to read this book after I read Going Clear. Leah Remini corroborates all of the allegations against Scientology and adds a bunch of Hollywood gossip.
From Goodreads:
Leah Remini has never been the type to hold her tongue. That willingness to speak her mind, stand her ground, and rattle the occasional cage has enabled this tough-talking girl from Brooklyn to forge an enduring and successful career in Hollywood. But being a troublemaker has come at a cost. That was never more evident than in 2013, when Remini loudly and publicly broke with the Church of Scientology. Now, in this frank, funny, poignant memoir, the former King of Queens star opens up about that experience for the first time, revealing the in-depth details of her painful split with the church and its controversial practices.
I find Leah Remini annoying and I don't care a bit about her rise to fame but her take on Scientology from the inside was interesting and sad. I think you would want to read Going Clear first or at least watch the documentary before reading this book so that you will have a better understanding of the concepts, phrases, and programs within Scientology that she is talking about.
Was I done with my little side trip down Scientology lane? No, I have also now watched multiple interviews online and on YouTube of other Scientologists talking about their experiences within the organization. It is so disturbing and truly horrifying. It's like watching a train wreck... a crazy train wreck that is.
My Rating: A fairly interesting inside look at Scientology with some Hollywood gossip on the side.
Miramont's Ghost by Elizabeth Hall
From Goodreads:
Miramont Castle, built in 1897 and mysteriously abandoned three years later, is home to many secrets. Only one person knows the truth: Adrienne Beauvier, granddaughter of the Comte de Challembelles and cousin to the man who built the castle. Clairvoyant from the time she could talk, Adrienne’s visions show her the secrets of those around her. When her visions begin to reveal dark mysteries of her own aristocratic French family, Adrienne is confronted by her formidable Aunt Marie, who is determined to keep the young woman silent at any cost. Marie wrenches Adrienne from her home in France and takes her to America, to Miramont Castle, where she keeps the girl isolated and imprisoned. Surrounded by eerie premonitions, Adrienne is locked in a life-or-death struggle to learn the truth and escape her torment.
I hated this book. It started off intriguing and then it took a wrong turn and by the end I was sorry that I had wasted my time. It was gloomy and absolutely depressing. There is nothing redeeming about it. I liked the first few chapters of four year old Adrienne with her Grandfather in France in the late 1800s but after that it went down hill fast. The ending was the worst.
My Rating: Terrible.
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
I loved this book as a little girl and I wanted to see how it held up now that I am an adult and if my girls would like it. It held up wonderfully. I really love this book.
From Goodreads:
When orphaned Mary Lennox comes to live at her uncle's great house on the Yorkshire Moors, she finds it full of secrets. The mansion has nearly one hundred rooms, and her uncle keeps himself locked up. And at night, she hears the sound of crying down one of the long corridors. The gardens surrounding the large property are Mary's only escape. Then, Mary discovers a secret garden, surrounded by walls and locked with a missing key. One day, with the help of two unexpected companions, she discovers a way in. Is everything in the garden dead, or can Mary bring it back to life?
This book is charming and the garden is enchanting. I read it in bleak January and it left me longing for spring. Beautifully written and a classic for a reason.
My Rating: Excellent
Strong and Kind by Korie Robertson
From Goodreads:
What America needs today are parents who don’t just say they value these virtues but who live them and passionately and boldly teach them to their children. It’s up to me and you and every parent in America to make the necessary changes to give our children the opportunity to change the world. We do that by instilling good character traits in them so that they will be capable of being the adults our world needs.
When I was reading this book I just kept thinking, this is just good ol' common sense parenting."Raising children of good character requires thoughtful, consistent, intentional parenting". Yep. No kidding. But then I looked around me and I realized that common sense, intentional, and faith-based parenting is on a steep decline. I am glad such practical and straight forward books about parenting exist and that Korie Robertson uses her public platform for good. Parenting is hard and raising children of good character and strong values, who love the Lord, and let their light shine is difficult in an ever darkening world. I love that books like these exist. I love that there are books out there that talk about praying with your children, reading the scriptures, instilling the gospel into their every day lives, and modeling the values that we want to instill in our children. I am glad that books like this are being written by intentional parents. Even though it was nothing new and was definitely geared to parents of young children rather than teenagers, it was still a good thoughtful read and reminder.
My Review: Pretty good...definitely geared to parents of young children.
The Reluctant Widow by Georgette Heyer
From Goodreads:
In The Reluctant Widow, Elinor Rochdale, a young woman of good birth but straitened circumstances, sets out to accept a position as a governess and ends up plunged into a tangle of foreign intrigue instead. Elinor's adventure begins when she inadvertently mistakes the carriage waiting at the coach stop for one sent by her prospective employer, Mrs. Macclesfield. She finds herself carried to the estate of one Ned Carlyon, who Elinor mistakes for Mr. Macclesfield. Carlyon, meanwhile, believes Elinor to be the young woman he hired to marry his dying cousin, Eustace Cheviot, in order to avoid inheriting Cheviot's estate himself. Somehow, Elinor is talked into marrying Eustace on his deathbed and thus becomes a widow almost as soon as the ring is on her finger. What starts out as a simple business arrangement soon becomes much more complicated as housebreakers, uninvited guests, a shocking murder, missing government papers, and a dog named Bouncer all contribute to this lively, frequently hilarious tale of mistaken identities, foreign espionage, and unexpected love set during the Napoleonic Wars.
I love Georgette Heyer's Regency books. They are cozy, funny, and romantic reads. Georgette Heyer does a fantastic job. This is the 3rd book of her's that I have read and it is my second favorite. My personal favorite is Frederica. They are always delightful! I loved the cast of quirky characters and their witty repartee. This book had mystery and a tinge of gothic that made it different from the other Heyer books that I've read. There were secret passage ways, spies, treason, murder, and a dilapidated manor house. It was great! Of course there was the unlikely romance and the dashing Lord Carlyon. But what I truly loved were the family relationships...especially the brothers...it was hilarious. I really enjoyed this book.
My Rating: A charming and amusing adventure in the English country side during the Napoleonic Wars.
Armada by Ernest Cline
From Goodreads:
Zack Lightman has spent his life dreaming. Dreaming that the real world could be a little more like the countless science-fiction books, movies, and video games he’s spent his life consuming. Dreaming that one day, some fantastic, world-altering event will shatter the monotony of his humdrum existence and whisk him off on some grand space-faring adventure. But hey, there’s nothing wrong with a little escapism, right? After all, Zack tells himself, he knows the difference between fantasy and reality. He knows that here in the real world, aimless teenage gamers with anger issues don’t get chosen to save the universe. And then he sees the flying saucer.
I absolutely loved and adored Ready Player One so I was very excited to read another book by the same author. I enjoyed this book but didn't love it. Ready Player One is a much better book but this was still entertaining. I enjoy Ernst Cline's writing and I look forward to reading more from him. I just felt that this book was a bit flat in comparison. I loved the premise but I felt that somewhere along the way the plot got a little lost and the ending was anticlimactic. So, if you are looking for a recreation of Ready Player One you will be disappointed. But that said, it was still a fun read with many hilarious parts and even conspiracy theories. Who doesn't love that?! I found it enjoyable just not on the same level as the previous book but I look forward to reading more Ernst Cline.
My Rating: Okay...I knew going in that it would be hard to follow Ready Player One and it was.








0 comments:
Post a Comment