The body keeps the score.
You don't get through tough and stressful seasons of life unmarred. Last year I really tried to make sure that I exercised and got enough sleep. It helped somewhat but chronic stress is relentless. It digs in and causes issues. My blood pressure is higher. My cholesterol is up. My triglycerides are up. My weight is up. It's annoying because I really watch what I eat. I always exercise. I sleep at least 8 hours a night. I do all the things I am supposed to do and that are supposed to keep me healthy. But it comes down to chronic stress. I *think* I'm doing/feeling better but my blood tests seem to show otherwise. The body keeps the score.
I’ve learned from the book The Body Keeps the Score by Dr. Bessel van der Kolk that ...much can be attributed to excess cortisone that is continuously secreted in the brain through stress...stress from abuse or trauma that can have occurred even decades ago. The mind/body connection is unbelievably powerful especially when dealing with trauma. Big T trauma and little T trauma. I guess I am still in recovery mode.


0 comments:
Post a Comment