Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I've Been Tagged!! 6 Unusual Things About Me

I was tagged by Kelly A. so here it goes! I hope you all can take the excitement! ;) I had to dig deep for these.

1.) Robert Redford gave me a torte for my 12th birthday! (Pipe down all family and long time
friends!! You knew I had to get it in here somewhere. Hey-I left it off my 100 list!). This is truly my big claim to fame. But it really isn't that exciting. Growing up in Provo Canyon we spent a lot of time at Sundance and my parents became friendly with Robert Redford. One day my parents were up there and he invited them to something and they said they couldn't go because they had to get back home for my birthday party. He had the chef from the Tree Room (a restaurant at Sundance) box up a big fruit torte and then "Bob", as he likes to be called, gave it to my parents to give to me and told them to tell me "Happy Birthday" from him.

2.) I have a heart murmur.

3.) I was a candy striper. My mom is a nurse and has been a hospital administrator for years and I always thought I wanted to work at the hospital...until I did this gig. It started out wonderful. I was given the very "prestigious" job in the candy striper world of a "runner" this came with a walkie-talkie--very cool-- to a 13-year-old. My job was to run things here and there usually to the lab. Well I had been bragging about my prestigious job at the hospital for weeks and finally my dad asked me what exactly I did there. I went on and on about the walkie-talkie (so I could be reached anywhere in the hospital) and hierarchy of the candy striper world and my lofty position etc. Then my dad asked me what exactly I carried to the lab. "Well" I said very self-importantly "I am the one who carries the stool samples". I awaited his look of awe and respect. Only to see him on the floor laughing hysterically!!

Dad: "THAT is your job?"
Kris: "yes...what is so funny!"
Dad: "You carry @#$%???? More hysterical laughter.
Kris: (Appalled) NO I DO NOT!!!! I carry stool samples.
Dad: What do you think "stool" is??
Kris: I don't know but it isn't THAT!
Dad: OH yeah it is...ask your mother.
Kris: Mom??
Mom: hysterically laughter...yes!!
Kris: I quit!

There is my candy striping experience in a nutshell...but I wasn't allowed to quit and had the pleasure of being a stool-sample carrier for quite a while!

3.) The squeaky sound cotton balls make gives me the absolute willies. My family loves to torture me by grabbing cotton balls and then squeaking them in my ear! Oohh! I have the shivers just thinking about it.

4.) I have extremely damaged and scarred eardrums. When I was a kid I had a lot of ear infections and then I had tubes and then still had lots of ear infections afterwards. My ear drums have ruptured numerous times. Whenever I go into the doctor and they look at my ears they usually gasp and several times have grabbed other people to look at the apparent horror. I have failed every hearing test I have ever taken and probably will eventually need a hearing aid somewhere down the line. Tyler and I laugh that I will probably go deaf and he will probably go blind (due to his diabetes...but his eyes are actually perfect...don't want to scare his family) and then we will have to communicate Helen Keller style. :)

5.) My best friend from college, Tiffany, and I were hit on by Karl Malone of the Utah Jazz at Sounds Easy Video in SLC. Could never look at "The Mailman" the same way again.

6.) I once was using the restroom at a busy gas station in SLC. The door didn't lock and my "so-called" best friend Tiffany was supposed to be guarding the door. Something caught her eye and drew her away from the restroom...was it a pretty butterfly Tiff?? Something sparkly?? (I'm not still bitter) anyway some guy opened the door and there I was in all my toilet glory. I started screaming for him to shut the door. But he just stood there laughing! Finally my screams brought Tiffany back and the guy took off still laughing and then proceeded to tell it all to his friend on his way to his car...who then also started laughing!!! As a result I check, double check, triple check the locks on public restroom doors!!

Ok there are 6 unusual things about me....now I "tag" Andrea, Carolyn, and Alisa!!

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Too funny!

Karl Malone hit on you? That would have been the happiest day of my life! When I was a pre-pubescent I dreamed of marrying Karl Malone. But someone shot down my dream by telling me he was a womanizer, I guess so!

I was a candy striper too! I never climbed the ladder as high as stool sample runner but I did get to run the malt machine in the malt shop. My parents paid us minimum wage to candy stripe when we were too young to get a real job but old enough we were bugging my mom hanging around the house all summer, so I was a mercenary too!

Lucy said...

What a great list! You just keep surprising me, Kristin, with how unique of a person you are. I had no idea your ears were damaged or that Tyler had diabetes. I'll speak up tonight!:)

Anonymous said...

What an awesome list Kristin!

andrea said...

OK, now I know why you're deaf from last night's book group. I wish I had read this before book group, we could have discussed so much. LOVE the Karl Malone story. You should have gone for it.

You truly are a wealth of hidden information. Your blog is awesome. I don't know how you expect me to come up with a list after that little treasure you just wrote.

[alisar] said...

The candy striper story is my absolute favorite. What does 'stool' mean anyway? Is it so awful to call it pee-pee and poo-poo? Or in technical terms, #1 and #2?
Thanks for the tag. It will seriously take me a while to think of six more unusual things about me after that 100 Things list. I'll probably just have to make them up :)

Victoria said...

ROFL! What a great list! You have a lot of claims to fame, just not sure the bathroom one is the best...hee hee

Carolyn said...

You have the best stories! I'm dying about the stool incident. My grandparents always called their toilet "the stool," so for the longest time I thought that was the "other" definition of stool. Oh, to be young and naive again.

Rebecca said...

You are so funny! Love the stool story.