Valentines Day, Tainted Peanut Butter and Dave Ramsey
There is also an obscene amount of candy that is handed out. I explained to the kids that we used to only get conversation hearts with our valentines or a sucker if you were lucky. I remember dumping out my hearts and picking out the ones that said the appropriate thing for the appropriate person and sticking them in the little envelopes with the Valentines (valentines don't even come with envelopes anymore). I remember taking quite a while finding just the right valentine for each person on the list. I would find the special one that would let that special someone know just how I was feeling about him and then I would pick out conversation hearts that reiterated those feelings. I always picked out the Strawberry Shortcake ones (the kids were shocked that Strawberry Shortcake was around WAY BACK THEN). I remember picking out one for Brad Roper (my crush of 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade...he was dreamy) that said "You are berry special!" I loved getting my valentines and would scrutinize all the messages and the conversation hearts. The best valentines were the ones that said "I love you...from your Secret Admirer".
Later on when I lived in Springdell it was a tradition there to deliver your valentines to all your friends on Valentines Night. Ding-and-Ditch was the method that was used. I used to love to open the door and see a pile of valentines on the door step. We did this up through Junior High and High School. Once I got a big fabric covered heart-shaped box full of chocolates from my 6th grade boyfriend and neighbor Mike Bills. Very exciting! The boys in the dell would play pranks on me and my friends. Many a time I would open the door and see a shiny valentine and go to grab it and suddenly the valentine would jerk away from me and I would hear hysterical laughter from the bushes where the boys had it one a piece of fishing line. One year it was a valentine, the next a candy bar, and then next a dollar bill. Some how we fell for it every year. My boyfriend from 9th grade and neighbor Rex Nielson did give me the dollar bill that year and wrote on it "Rex + Kristin" which I glued into my journal!! AW...young love!! Interesting side note...after I moved away to Kansas City Rex dated Vanessa's (from book club) sister, Julie, for a few years. I was crushed! Small world though huh?
Now that I've had my little trip down memory lane...I will return to this Valentines Day. We usually do a "fancy" dinner for the kids with table cloths, cloth napkins, the good dishes, candles etc. The kids always want homemade heart-shaped pizzas for dinner along with the funky pretzel strawberry jello salad which is weird yet surprisingly good. They pick out a few other things to go on the menu but pizza and pretzel salad are must-haves. This year the kids decorated the table (See above photo)...then we put out their Valentine surprises on their plates. We had fun!
Onto the tainted peanut butter...some peanut butter was recalled last week due to salmonella contamination. Imagine my surprise when the very tainted peanut butter in question was in our pantry half-eaten. Could that have contributed to our illnesses of last week? Who knows? After totally FREAKING out and spending an incredible amount of time inquiring into the digestive habits of each member of the family I came to the conclusion that we were all ok...thank goodness. I had several phone calls from 3 different members of my family warning me about the bad peanut butter and then they were all shocked that I had actually purchased the "Great Value" peanut butter. "Why?" they all chorused "Our family only eats Jiff"!! (Isn't it funny how families even years later are still loyal to the brands they used as kids??) Well I usually always DO buy Jiff (extra crunchy) but thanks to my budget and that dang Dave Ramsey I have purchased the "Great Value" (which turned out to be not-so-great) brand for the past few months. Scary!

Also thanks to Dave Ramsey I will have to wait a lot longer for some new flooring in our Kitchen and Living Room. We got our tax return on Friday (yes...we are THOSE kind of people who do our taxes very early) and we got Tyler's bonus on the same day. So we were feeling very rich indeed. I was ready to fly off to sunny somewhere and was busy plotting all the ways to spend the cash when I was brought back to reality by good ole Dave Ramsey whose mantra is to PAY OFF DEBT!! Which of course we needed to do. So by Tuesday our wad of cash was gone but quite a bit of debt wiped out. I had been whining to Andrea about not getting my new floors at book club and she told me that paying off debt was going to feel so much better...guess what...she was right! The floors will have to wait a bit longer.


7 comments:
And just think how good it will feel when you finally do get the floors and can look at them and think "These are mine!" because they are paid for. Instead of mopping up messes on them and knowing you are still paying interest! Way to go!
Last year I was room mom and I rebelled. I threw a class party where the kids ate a rice krispie treat and spent the rest of the time reading their valentines. The children had a ball, the parents stood around complaining about how boring the party was. Hmmm?
Your little Valentine table was beautiful, your kids obviously have their mom's eye and talent if they decorated it themselves!
I was the room mom this year and it was pretty scaled down. I think moms just try to out do each other. Kids don't care about veggie trays or chocolate fountains. They actually love cookies and punch. Well...cupcakes and punch. I'm glad you had fun at the school.
I think it hurts at first switching to the Dave Ramsey lifestyle but Kelly is right, it's going to be so cool when you choose that floor and pay with cash! I'm excited for you and Tyler. Having a big wad of cash and paying debt with it is hard. You are superstars.
Gorgeous Valentine's table! We do the same thing with Valentine's Day (including the heart-shaped pizza) because Andrew's birthday is the week after. How funny!
And, about the "wad" being gone . . . oh Kristin, I can so relate. For 5 straight years we put every spare dime we had to my law school loans. All this while watching my friends starting to accumulate cool stuff (houses, cars, boats, furniture, etc.) To be honest, I really had to work on the whole "thou shalt not covet" back then. It, however, felt so good when they were paid off. So hang in there! :-)
I love this post. So much to say! First of all, beautiful decorations. I think I have a Valentine's themed dish towel somewhere, but that's about it. I'm very impressed.
I loved your remembrances about choosing Valentines. Chad and I had a similar discussion this past week. He was not a very girl crazy kid, but from kindergarten on I had someone(s) special. I TOTALLY tried to read the unsaid meanings of my conversation hearts and I sent the most flirty of Care Bear valentines. Good times.
Now debt. Yuck. We are experts at acquiring debt. Our first student loan payment comes due in June and we are pretty nervous. Guess where our tax return is headed too! At first, I was a little sad, but now I'm just grateful to have it to pay, you know?
I am so proud of you for putting your money towards debt. Three years ago we put in our floor upstairs with Devin's bonus when we should have paid off debt instead. Every time that credit card bill came in the mail I would kick the floor and swear at it.
Did Reilly get any special Valentine's? One of Asa's friends is in her class and has a crush on her. Isn't that cute? Don't tell!
Awesome post. I loved the trip down memory lane, especially the part about Rex and Vanessa's sister. What's up with Vanessa anyway? We should get her back into book group when she moves back.
Anyway, you are my new Dave Ramsey queen. You are awesome. That takes so much self-restraint to pass on the new floors. You'll have them before you know it and you'll love them. Seriously, you inspired me today!
PS. I am having a hard time thinking of my 6 unusual things about me.
Rebecca-
I don't know if she got any extra special valentine...she didn't say. I'll have to ask her in more depth. ;)
Andrea-
I don't know what is up with Vanessa...only what I hear through Lucy. We will have to have her come to book club again when she gets back. She is a voracious reader!!
Post a Comment