Friday, April 06, 2007

Day at the Park

Yesterday was gorgeous...sunny and warm. It was in the 60's. Tyler decided to take two days off of work to spend time with the family. We had a great time. One thing that I absolutely love about our area are all are the fantastic parks. They are all beautiful and fun in their own ways. Yesterday we decided to go to, what is in my opinion, the prettiest park in town. We packed a picnic and headed out.

We have a favorite spot where we like to picnic. It is up on top of a hill. We like it because from our special spot we can see the street, the big sledding hill, the other side of the park, the playground area and the duck pond...all from one location. Every time we picnic we always go there...to "our" spot.

Ailey has two favorite foods right now...peanut butter sandwiches and cheerios. That is all she ever wants to eat. This picture of her eating her sandwich makes me laugh!
After lunch Tyler, Kameron, and Reilly were playing frisbee. Both Reilly and Kameron are excellent frisbee players. Tyler was teaching them how to play frisbee golf. He is so excited to finally have someone to play with. When Ty and I were dating he always use to keep a frisbee in his car and whenever we went to the park he would grab it and want to play. Let's just say I am not good at frisbee. Here is how that would usually go:

Ty: Let's play frisbee

Kris: Let's not

Ty: please

Kris: Your blocking my sun

Ty: please....(sad puppy dog eyes)

Kris: fine

Ty: Great! Here throw it to me

Kris : (throws the frisbee)

Ty: Um...try to aim it at me

Kris: I am

Ty: Try again

Kris: (throws the frisbee)

Ty: Sweetie...I am over here. Try again.

Kris: (throws the frisbee)

Ty: Can you see me???

Kris: You're rude

Ty: Ok...I will throw the frisbee to you

Kris: fine

Ty: (throws the frisbee)

Kris: Ouch!! That hurts.

Ty: How does catching a frisbee hurt?

Kris: It does AND it broke my nail.

Ty: Ok...let's go sit down.

(Sad I know...but true. Some day I will have to post about my experience with tennis...also a LOVE of Tyler's. But oddly enough...in my own defense...I am great at baseball and football...I can throw a perfect spiral every time. This impressed MANY suitors...including Tyler!)

After that we played many rounds of Hide and Seek. This park has lots of rocks, trees, and bushes...great for hiding. I was teaching the kids how to play "springdell style". The kids used to just hide and get found. There was no "home", no tagging, no being safe, no "olly olly oxenfree". Reilly asked me at one point..."What are you? Some kind of hide and seek expert?" To which I replied "Ah...YES...actually I am!" Don't mess with a Springdell girl and her night games!! Tyler also taught them the basics of "Kick the Can". It was fun.


Then we were off to the duck pond...or should I say seagull pond. The seagulls far out numbered the ducks and were dive bombing us!


After that we walked around the park. This park has several gardens you can go to...and we saw them all. I love this stone bridge.

Here are the kids in the Rose garden. Still pretty bare but beautiful all the same. In the summer it smells heavenly...so does the Lilac garden. We decided to take a few pictures.



Then we were off to the Japanese Garden. It is GORGEOUS in there and the kids love to look at the giant Koi.


Then we were off to my most FAVORITE garden of all. Duncan Garden. The man that it was named after used to have a cabin out on the lake and my grandma knew him. This garden is absolutely AMAZING in the summer...tons of flowers and a gorgeous fountain. It was time for more pictures.



Here are the kids playing at the fountain. Kameron was being a Jedi Warrior, Reilly was doing ballet and Ailey was doing her version of ballet too!





More pictures...Ailey was playing in her "house" she said...and a picture of Ty. Cute!!

*************************************************************************************
Sad

Wednesday night was a very sad night for our street. Our neighbor's wife passed away unexpectedly. It was horrible. They live right across the street from us and are our age. When we first moved to our house they were the first people we met. Tyler recognized Justin (the husband). Justin was a friend of one of Tyler's friends. Tyler and Justin even played on the same basketball team for Hoopfest (a HUGE 3 on 3 basketball tournament here). Justin came home from work and found her. He called the paramedics but she was gone. Her mom and dad arrived as the paramedics were informing Justin that she was gone. That was truly heart wrenching!! Her mom was out in the yard just screaming and screaming. I hope I NEVER hear that sound again in my life. Justin nearly passed out. It was truly awful.

We talked to Justin for awhile yesterday. They don't know what happened. He talked to her earlier that day and she was getting ready to go to work (she works later in the day). She seemed fine. He stopped by her work to give her a ride home and they said that she never came in. He then headed home and found her. As of yesterday they still didn't know what was the cause of death. Justin is such a nice guy and we are keeping him and his family in our prayers. They had been married for several years but didn't have any children.

So sad!! Hug your family today and tell them that you love them.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

That is very sad about your friend. Sorry to hear it.

You guys have really ripped up Spring Break. Dave Ramsey would be proud indeed! I love your park and can see why it is a favorite!

Lucy said...

I really should make the effort to go to "that" park more often. With Ben Burr right across the street, I get lazy. But it's not quite the same:)

Again, looks like you are the perfect family!

andrea said...

Love the park pictures. We used to go there exclusively when my friend Betsy lived on 18th Ave and Rockwood. We've made a comeback and been a few times this year, mostly to feed the ducks.

I cannot believe it about your neighbor. That is so sad.

Carolyn said...

Just got back in town and catching up on your blog . . . what an exciting week you've been having! I love all the pics and I love all the commentary on the Amazing Race. I've missed the last few episodes but tuned in just in time the other night for the "puke fest" - so gross!

That is so tragic about your neighbor. Thank you for the reminder to hug your family. :-)

Hannah said...

So sorry to hear about your neighbor, that is such a scary thing. I will definately be counting my blessings today.

The park pictures are so fun, Washington really does have fabulous parks...and it's funny because when we say "park" it's so not a plastic play thing like many people would think. There is so much history to them all, you guys need to come and visit our parks....(wink, wink) ;)

Hope all is well....Happy Easter!!!
Love,
Hannah

Rebecca said...

I am so sorry for your neighbor and her parents!

Great photos of your family at the park!

[alisar] said...

How cool that Tyler took a couple of days off to hang out with you. The park pictures are so great - I especially love Ailey's peanut butter sandwich and playing house shots. Riley's fountain pose is really cute too. And Kameron, let's just say he's totally stolen my heart with his curly hair and gorgeous eyes. What a fun day!
So sorry to hear about your neighbor.