Our Smell
Once long ago and far away in Springdell I was hanging out with my friend, Iralee (Naomi's sister) and she remarked that our family had a smell. I instantly took umbrage and demanded that she take it back!! Our family DID NOT SMELL!! She clarified that our family didn't smell bad but that we had a certain smell. I was still very T.O. ed and demanded an explanation ASAP. She told me that everyone one has a "smell" and that people in the same family smell like each other. I didn't believe her. We then walked over to the playground area and she picked up an abandoned sweatshirt. "Smell it" she said "and tell me what family it belongs to". I thought that idea sounded vulgar and disgusting and I didn't want to go sniffing anyone's old revolting sweatshirt. Then she uttered the magic words "Do it...I DARE you!" Back in the day I didn't take dares lightly and so I grabbed that old sweatshirt and gave it a delicate sniff. "So" she demanded "who does it belong to?" I remember thinking "Oh crap! She's right". Now it should be known to all who read this blog that Iralee was known as "the brain" of Springdell. She had even skipped a grade and nothing bugged me more than when she was right and I was wrong. "Who's shirt is it?" she asked again...and I do believe she was smirking slightly. "The Tandy's" I mumbled. "Who?" she asked again loudly. "OK...THE TANDY'S...are you satisfied?"...and she was.
This became a little game of ours from then on...Look...we lived up the canyon and had a lot of time on our hands ok? But from then on we could identify who articles of clothing belonged to by their smell. Some of this had to do with how people heated their houses (we all lived in old homes where we all had wood burning fireplaces, coal heat etc), laundry detergents, foods they ate, the way their houses smelled etc. We could take a sniff and say "Nielson, Patten, Udall, McClellan, Western, Winkler, McGown, Buss etc.
I did also demand that Iralee come over to my house and attempt to identify our supposed "smell". She went sniffing all through our house and down to our laundry room where her sensitive nose identified our "smell" as a combination of Tide and Bounce.
So if you're wondering what my family smells like now it is this...my new love of the past 6 months!!

Downy with Febreze the Meadows and Rain scent. I REALLY hope you can't get high from sniffing this!! Because I am constantly doing it. It just smells so darn good. I LOVE doing laundry now...well I don't love it...I like it better when I can get a whiff of my new love. I go around our house sniffing towels, blankets, sheets, socks, clothes, my husband and kids...it's crazy I know. If you are at Wal-mart and feel that old familiar feeling that you just might take your cart and ram someone with it (which is every time I go there) take a little stroll over to the laundry detergent aisle. Find the Downy with Febreze the Meadow and Rain scent...take a whiff...and let it's aroma therapy soothe your soul. :)
By the way...I still use Bounce so I guess we smell like a combo of Downy and Bounce. Product loyalty lasts a long time doesn't it?
P.S. Iralee if you ever read this...you KNOW I love you!! :)
**** So...what do you smell like? :) ****

8 comments:
People do have a smell! It's the laundry detergent plus just their...smell! It's usually a good thing. Not always though.
I like Suavitel fabric softener but I'm always willing to try a new thing. And if it's good enough to get high on...it's good enough for me:)
I have a lot of armpit issues - we've been over this. They all arise from my hippie parents' opposition to antiperspirant. They produced ultra sweaty kids and then forbade us from using anything to help. My family growing up smelled like Right Guard (yes, a man's deodorant I was forced to wear because none of the female brands back then were anti perspirant free) and sweat. Nice, huh?
I would hope my current family smells a little better. I would guess we smell like Tide (Mountain Fresh) and Dove (soap not chocolate).
If that is not the case, and we smell worse, someone had better tell me. I will not let history repeat itself in that area :)
Alisa-
We use Dove too... and you smell just dandy. :)
Every time I am in the store I am drawn to those lovely new bottles of laundry detergent and fabric softener. Up until now I have resisted the urge to try the new scents but if it's that good maybe I'll give it a try.
I have no idea what my family smell is and I'm afraid to find out.
I always get comments about my good smelling laundry--(at the laundry mat :(
For years I have used Cheer and Gain and I love it-
Im not called Smelly Kelley for nothin' :)
xo-Kelley
If I smell like my boys I'm never leaving the house! lol!
I love febreeze for clothes, it gets rid of my boys smell for sure, I will have to try this new Downy one, thanks!
Not sure what I smell like, hopefully good. :)
hilarious! never thought about it but i think you are probably right... i love fresh smelling laundry.
we use dove (soap) and my house in the summer smells like coconut-lime from BBW and cinnamon in the colder months.
ooooh - downy simple pleasures vanilla and lavender. you are so weird, ms. oyle. I miss you! And happy birthday!! I thought of you on your birthday and am sad to say that is as far as i got. I still do not blog. But I love you!
Post a Comment