Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Behold The Whirlwind


Summer is over, Labor Day is gone, the kids are back in school and I am spinning out of control...so much to do, so many places to go and no time to do it all...and no time for blogging or reading blogs. I'm waiting for our routine to kick in. Give me another week and I should be on top of things.


School. I know there are lots of moms out there who are so happy when the kids go back to school. I am not one of them. I LOVE SUMMER! I like not having schedules, bedtimes,commitments and most of all AFTER-SCHOOL ACTIVITIES!!


Our Labor Day Weekend got off to an early start on Thursday when I met KariAnn and Rebecca for a much needed pedicure...and then afterwards we met Andrea for a delicious lunch at Luna's. A day of fun, friends and pampering before the kids went back to school. So nice and so necessary.


Saturday night was our ward Corn Feed. The kids had a great time! Our ward is splitting this weekend so it was our last hurrah.




Ailey and Reilly doing the three-legged race







One of my favorite pictures of the night--Julie and Carolyn after the egg toss! ;)

We then went up to my Mom's house to help her move over the weekend. She is moving from her log house to a house on the other side of her town. So we labored on Labor day...not too exciting.


The kids went back to school yesterday and the crazy mornings have begun. I have started rising before the sun because that is the only way to keep on top of things anymore but the sad result is me sacked out on the couch by 8:30pm. Yehaw! I might as well be 80 years old.

The kids were really excited to go back to school and to see all their friends. Reilly is in 5th grade and Kameron is in 1st. Kameron was so excited to get to stay all day and to EAT LUNCH AT SCHOOL!!








We have a family tradition of going out for dinner after the first day of school...the kids picked Dairy Queen as their restaurant of choice. We got off easy as I know a family that does the same thing and they were off to PF Changs. Dinner at Dairy Queen was delicious! ;) I was quite excited that my all-time favorite blizzard was back...




These are so good!! Thanks Lori for introducing us to them a few years ago. The sad part is they only appear once in awhile. So it was Cotton Candy Blizzards all around! I LOVE cotton candy and these actually taste just like cotton candy unlike most cotton candy flavored ice cream. Could I say "cotton candy" any more times? COTTON CANDY! It must be the inner-carny in me that just can't get enough of it!

But I digress...the kids had a wonderful first day of school. Both were really happy with their teachers and classes. Both Reilly and Kameron had their best friends in their classes with them. Always a worry. They were both chatting my ear off. I am so glad that things went well.

They weren't the only ones to have a "First Day of School". Ailey had her first day of Joy School today!!


I decided to do Joy school for Ailey this year and then she can go to Preschool next year. She LOVED it!! I teach every Wednesday which isn't bad and then I have a 2 1/2 hour stretch on Fridays for volunteering in Reilly and Kam's classes or doing whatever I want. Fun fun.

10 comments:

Stacey said...

Glad the kids had good first days of school........and even little cutie Ailey! That is great--no tears or clinging? Dane had a hard time adjusting to day care, but he goes in like a champ now. Love you, Stacey

Kelly said...

Sounds all too familiar. Your first few paragraphs, I wrote that post last week. Feeling it!

Cotton Candy Blizzards!?!? Oh be still my cholesterol diseased heart. Are you kidding me? Confectionary goodness I never got around to before having to get on the whole grain and boring salad wagon? Why do I have to know?

And what the heck is a corn feed? Andrea alluded to it in a comment somewhere. I assume it is something ward picnic/carnival like? (by the way, YOU at a ward picnic?) Why the name Corn Feed?

Happy School, you'll be enjoying it soon enough. A whole 2 1/2 hours!

Kelley said...

Hooray!!! The first day of school pictures. I love seeing them bright eyed & full of excitement! I of course was always feeling sick with butterflies =)

Tell Reilly I have not forgotten about her pedicure- Does Monday after work-4pm suite her?

Cotton Candy blizzards? I feel my teeth tingling as I type it! Too sweet for me-
xo-Kell

Kristin said...

Kelly A-

I must highly suggest a bite if you can't do more of the LUSCIOUS Cotton Candy Blizzard!! ;)

A "Corn Feed" in this neck of the woods is a picnic where they boil a bunch of corn on the cob to go with the picnic...they also boiled some hot dogs and people brought salads, chips, dessert and of course BUTTER!! I hate the name though...sounds like we are cows or something with feed bags tied around our necks...although...there were a few people at the picnic who somewhat resembled that!!

YOU DID NOT HEAR ME JUST SAY THAT!!

As for my attendance...I KNOW!! Will wonders never cease. We only went because it was the last event for our ward before it splits on Sunday.

Carolyn said...

That blizzard looks so good. I wish a DQ was closer. But, that just might be worth a trip to the valley!!!

Love the pictures, except the freaky one of me with egg on my hands! Tip: Don't do an egg toss with your wedding ring on.

Thanks again and again and again for all your help with the Primary Open House this weekend.

Lara said...

I'm with you on the whirlwind part. I kept thinking of all the things I would be able to get accomplished with the kids at school - but some how nothing has got done and the house looks like a tornado hit!

Your kids look cute and excited for school! And Ailey - so cute!!!

andrea said...

I'm with you on sending the kids back. I have got nothing accomplished this week because I am interrupted by kids schedules all day. Today we have speech which literally takes the entire morning.

I am dying over the comments about the Corn Feed. It is a crazy tradition but such a fun ward activity.

Lucy said...

I can tell school started up north! All of you in such a tizzy! Isn't it crazy how much work it seems to be to get your children OUT of the house for a whole day??:)

We always made it to the corn feeds. I just like outdoor activities because I don't have to be vigilant about my kids running around, which I feel I do have to be when the activity is inside the church. And...I like participating in the corn shucking contest!

Tiffany said...

The school year and all accompanying activities is for the birds. I want summer back.

carlo said...

seriously? cotton candy blizzard? wow. sounds so yummy. i barely made it through the MONTH of pb cup at my fave ice cream shop and i swear i gained 5 lbs. good thing no DQ around me.

fun pics too!

oh and corn feed sounds like a mid-western tradition of sorts! after you exlained it is sounds really yummy!