Monday, September 17, 2007

Good News and Bad News

Good News: I have thought about blogging a lot this past week.

Bad News: I didn't do it.

Good News: I attended Camry's Baby Shower


(L to R: Rita our Laurel advisor, Jayni, Valynn, Me and Camry)

The shower was a lot of fun. Rita was so sweet to host it at her house and it was catered by Shari H. She did a Mexican Fiesta. Jayni won a catered Mexican Feast for ten in our Relief Society Service Swap. The food was fabulous. Glenrose Ward you are lucky to get her!! She is a fabulous cook. I had a great time.

Bad News: It was our last official get-together as a Young Women's Presidency. Sad. Out of all the people at the shower Jayni and I are the only ones in the new ward. :( Losing Valynn, Camry, Rita, all our advisors, and Melody and Hannah P. is a BIG LOSS!! So the night was a little melancholy for all of us.

Good News: Look how cute Camry is and she is due in about 5 days.



Bad News: This is what I look like pregnant at about three months!!

Good News: I had a Garage Sale this weekend.

Bad News: I had a Garage Sale this weekend.

Good News: I sold a load of junk and made money.

Bad News: It was excruciating, mind-numbing hellish torture to do it.

I have NEVER had a yard sale before and believe me I am in no rush to do it again!! I had it on Friday and Saturday. Friday is a BIG yard sale day in our part of the world. Thanks Kelley for taking all the kids to school...even Ailey. You were a HUGE help!! The idea was that Tyler was going to help me with the running of the yard sale...umm...didn't happen. He ended up being very "busy" on Friday at work and having to work on Saturday too. So that left me with all the pleasure. I had the idea that Reilly could help me on Saturday but as each and every man who came to the yard sale looked like a level 4 sex offender I quickly kept her inside on babysitting duty.

Let me just say that I have seen a slice of life that I thought only existed at parades, the Fair and Carnivals. Now I like a Carny as much as the next person but people...THEY WERE AT MY HOUSE!! I LURED them there with bright yellow signs. Scary. Now I like to go to garage sales. But my way of doing it is cruising by...looking to see if they have any good furniture to redo for Sisters Creed and moving on. I rarely get out...I send my minon, Reilly, if I need a closer look. I NEVER haggle...and that is the extent of it. I'm not usually mingling with the other shoppers. Boy have I have been missing out.

Here are a few of the highlights:

-People stealing from me.

-People attempting to steal from me...I got more savvy as the first day wore on.

-People smoking in my face and throwing their cigarette butts in my yard.

-People bugging my dog...had to put her inside. Apparently Mrs. Beasley was freaked out by the scary people too.

-A rude lady who while complaining that $1 for a Ralph Lauren coat was OUTRAGEOUS her flea bitten dog peed on my box of books.

-The man who yelled "WHERE'S THE MAN STUFF? THIS IS ALL GIRLY $%@!"
(Well kind sir... the man of the house wouldn't part with anything he owned so "girly $%@!" it was).

-The woman who "tsked tsked" me for all the "nice" stuff I was selling and how people just don't keep anything anymore and it's that kind of attitude that is ruining America.

-The man who kept asking me if I was divorced...NO...Did I think I would be getting divorced anytime soon? (Uh...maybe if I ever have to do a garage sale by myself again!!)

-The well-dressed and bejeweled middle-aged lady who bought an Ann Taylor Sweater for .50 cents and a Banana Republic Shirt for .50 cents and 4 books (new titles) at .25 cents a piece... who when I told her the total was 2 bucks she said (big sigh) " Well...I guess I won't eat today".

-The two motorized wheel chair ladies who kept pointing their canes at things and yelling at me "What's that?" A rice maker. "I want it!! Get it!!". Those two had me jumping and fetching everything I had all the while yelling at me. Tyler came home on his lunch break to see how things were going during this little dog and pony show and nearly keeled over laughing.

These were but a few of my many "interesting" experiences.

I did get the truly poor elderly living on social security who were counting out their nickles and pennies who broke my heart and I gave away lots of stuff for free.

I also met the coolest brown-haired elderly southern lady from Texas. I recognized that soft Houston accent right away and we seriously bonded.

So it wasn't all bad...not good...but not all bad. But it felt pretty bad. I do have a clutter-free garage and basement now. Yay me!

13 comments:

Lucy said...

Oh my! I have never had a garage sale. Only given my stuff to people having garage sales who sell it for me. If it wasn't so scary, annoying and time consuming, though...I just might. Your description is terrifyingly delightful! I want to meet those people and write all about them.

this was a great, fun read!

Kelly said...

Thanks for reminding me why I'll never have a garage sale! $100 worth of work for $50 profit.

My neighbors do crazy things like buy abandoned storage units sight unseen and then sell the crap at a never ending garage sale, every saturday, their front yard. Blech!

Mexican fiesta's sound fun though, and aren't Houston women awesome!

andrea said...

I was dying reading this. You sound like you had a very eventful two days. So, so funny. I've only had one garage sale and it was SO much work. You described it perfectly.

Melissa said...

Way to de-junk!! I admire your efforts. I am all about the dump-off at goodwill.

carlo said...

oh i am laughing like crazy. you have made my day...

your descriptions were so vivid and dang, i wish i could have looked through your "junk" sounds like i would have taken the overpriced RL jacket and the $2 haul before the gal who is hungry today snatched it.

good writing friend!

[alisar] said...

Good news: Kristen is back at her computer.
Bad news: I'm going to be stuck at mine reading this post over and over and over and over.
So funny.

Tiffany said...

So enjoyable. If I had a garage sale it would have to be on the sly because Oliver's such a pack rat and won't part with anything. However, if you had such a cast of characters appear at yours, I can only imagine what would turn up here in Vegas. I think I'll pass. But that is some good humor.

jenny said...

Double oh my! That is quite the experience. I only have had about 3 garage sales ever. And I didn't even get that type of crowd living in New Orleans. I can't believe that dog peed on your books! Gross.

I guess the moral of the story was you can now say, been there done that eh?

Oh, and I can't see the point in a garage sale where I live they make you buy a permit for like $30. I am lucky even if I make that much!

Lara said...

You are so brave! My husband has been dying to have a yard sale. I keep putting it off because I know exactly how much work it is and I hate it!!! (Did too many yard sales in YW to earn camp money).

I hope that by forcing him to read your blog that I will be saved from the same torture you had to endure.

Hope you made some money from all your efforts!

Carolyn said...

Good News: Loved this post and laughed hysterically

Bad News: We missed Reilly on Saturday - we'll for sure have to hook the girls up soon. ;-)

Hannah said...

Oh Kristen how you make me chuckle, never stop blogging okay? :) Welcome to the garage sale world, my other favorite from past experience is the people who clearly see the sign says from 8-3 and they show up at 6:45....grrrr. Anyway, hopefully you can do something fun with the bit of money you made and make ourself feel better. :)

Kelley said...

I LOVE TO HAGGLE!! What's wrong with a good bit of haggling fun??
Realtors are the most notorious hagglers. I am sure you did a bit of haggling when you bought your house? first offer- (haggle) a second offer-(haggle) compromise on a final offer? What fun!!
The terrible part of a garage sale is having people sniff around your stuff-and then over hear them tell their friends/family that there is nothing they want! oHhhh it hurts =)
ps- was it norma on the scooter?haha..

xo-Kelley

Rebecca said...

I did a garage sale once and I swore and still swear that I will NEVER do it again, and I had help. You were a brave woman to go it alone!