Book Reviews GALORE
I have had some of these book reviews hanging over my head for months. I am relieved to get them done. I like doing book reviews so I don't know why it has taken me so long to post these. Usually if the book is a book club selection I like to wait until after our book club meets to post my review. But some of these are VERY past due. So here are book reviews: 20, 21, 22, 23, and 24.
Book Review #20 Simplify by Carolyn J. Rasmus

This is the oldest review on the list. This was a past book club selection. We don't often read church books but this came highly recommended by both Andrea and Carolyn. This could shock you...but I doubt it will...I am not a huge church book reader. I don't drool with delight in Deseret Book or Seagull. I like to read biographies about church leaders or sometimes I will read a book by one of my favorite General Authorities or President Hinckley but I don't go searching for them. I RARELY read a book (OK that should be changed to pretty much never) read a book by a random LDS author about a gospel subject. Therefore I was somewhat excited to read this book as I would NEVER have picked it up on my own. Although in all truthfulness I did ask myself "Who is Carolyn J. Rasmus and why should I care what she thinks". I did a little research on the author and found out this:
Carolyn J. Rasmus received an Ed.D. from Brigham Young University and was a professor of physical education there. She was also executive assistant to the president of BYU and chaired the faculty advisory council. She has also been administrative assistant to the Young Women general presidency.
That didn't really help me out with why I should care what she has to say...so very skeptically I began to read. In case you are wondering...this book isn't full of helpful hints on how to simplify your life or how to get organized. What it is about is the atonement. Such a complex and multifaceted subject. A subject that I just never get a full grip on just what it is/does/means. Just when I think I do it slips through my fingers like a gossamer thread. Maybe that's the point. I don't think we will ever fully know or understand the atonement in this life...and we will spend most of our lives trying to comprehend the amazing gift we were given through the atonement of our Savior.
Rasmus takes each letter of the word SIMPLIFY and uses it to talk about different principles of the atonement.
"Convinced that the most destructive aspect of stress is what it does to us spiritually, Carolyn Rasmus outlines eight principles...that will help us keep from becoming so distracted by trivial things that our spiritual perspective is obscured. With these eight principles as a guide, we can enhance our ability to choose our priorities, remain calm amidst the daily chaos of life, and focus on things that really matter. "
It was good Sunday reading and it did broaden my horizons and made me think about how the atonement works in my life. Always a good thing. So if you enjoy church books or need something for Sunday reading you would probably like this book.
I rate it: OK
Book Review #21 New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

This is book 2 in the Twilight Vampire Series. This book didn't change my feelings about these books or Stephenie Meyer's writing...tedious...horrible dialogue...annoying main character. But I read it and enjoyed it. I was kind of worried about this particular book. I had heard that it contained much less Edward who is pretty much the only reason I read these books and my curiosity about how this story is going to resolve itself.
But...I was pleasantly surprised. I think I liked it more than Twilight. I like Jacob. I found myself rooting for him. But of course once Edward was back on the scene I was torn. So now we are dealing with vampires AND werewolves. Bella is still so freaking annoying I can barely stand her and I found myself begging the author to kill her off during her semi-suicidal post-Edward break up times. Sometimes I just want her scrapped and the author to concentrate on the story of the Cullens...a much more interesting subject matter in my opinion. Bella and her father have me on the floor with boredom. Does he do ANYTHING besides eat, watch TV, and fish?
That said...I liked it. I will read the next one in the series too. But since it has been months since I read New Moon and I have YET to read Eclipse I am in no rush. There are far more interesting books waiting in the wings. I do think the Twilight series has the Harry Potter effect on some people. It has gotten people who normally don't read or who haven't read in a long while excited about reading and you can't beat that!!
I rate it: A half-hearted GOOD...but it really should probably just be an OK.
Book Review #22 The Christmas Promise by Donna VanLiere
This was our book club selection for December. A short, easy-read Christmas story. Charles Dickens it is not. But I enjoy a heart-warming Christmas story as much as the next person. Again I have to complain of stereotypical characters, horrible dialogue, and annoying characters with names like Chaz. The message of the book is one of substance though. "Find what breaks your heart and get working". I whole-heartedly agree. I do love books that are actually published that are about serving your fellow men, making a difference, believing in something bigger than yourself, and that have a wonderfully unapologetic Christian message.
From St. Martins Press:
VanLiere tells her story through the characters of the delightful 60-year-old Gloria Bailey and the down-on-his-luck 24-year-old Chaz McConnell. Although tough and practical when it’s called for, “Miss Glory” has a heart as soft as a marshmallow for those in need. Assisting others also helps Gloria alleviate her own hurts --- the death of her husband and the disappearance of her teenage son seven years ago. “It’s a terrifying thing to give your heart to that small band of people around you, knowing that relationships can be messy and that someday your heart may be broken and you’ll come undone.” Every year Gloria puts an envelope on the Christmas tree for her husband with a promise inside it that she’ll never stop looking for their missing son.
If you want a fast Christmas read next year...read it...I'll admit it...I shed a few tears over the prodigal son...and that darn envelope in the Christmas Tree. But...if you don't have time don't worry. I'm sure it'll be a Lifetime Original Movie.
I rate it: OK
Book Review #23 The Constant Princess by Philipa Gregory
Book Review #23 The Constant Princess by Philipa Gregory

This is the prequel to the book The Other Boleyn Girl. Philipa Gregory has thankfully improved her writing since The Other Boleyn Girl (a book I really liked though). This is the story of Katherine of Aragon, the first wife of Henry the VIII, and her rise to the throne as the Queen of England. I really liked it. I think Katherine of Aragon is a fascinating historical figure and due to reading the book I went and read more and learned more about her.
From Amazon.com:
The Constant Princess of Philippa Gregory's historical novel is Katherine of Aragon, daughter of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain and first wife of Henry VIII. She was originally married to Henry's older brother Arthur as a teenager. When Arthur died soon after, she kept her deathbed promise to him to marry Henry, claiming to still be a virgin because of Arthur's impotence. Philippa Gregory re-imagines Katherine's life from her girlhood, where she always knew she'd be married to the Prince of Wales for political reasons, to her struggle to live in the foreign land of England, growing in both political skills and learning the reality of her parents' and her role in world events. In the end she was undone by the ambitious Anne Boleyn and a husband who would use any reason to divorce her.

This is a great book to read curled up on the couch with a cup of hot chocolate on hand. If you read The Other Boleyn Girl and liked it you would like this book as well. My only complaint is that at times the story drags a bit but I think that is to give you the idea of why Katherine was refered to as "The Constant Princess".
My rating: GOOD.
Book Review #24 Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen
Book Review #24 Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen

This was our book club selection for January. I really liked it. I think it was a fun book to read and a fun book to discuss. Having a circus themed book club gathering was icing on the cake. Good job Valynn.
From About.com: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen opens with a day of disaster at the circus and Jacob Jankowski admitting he kept a secret from that day for over 70 years. The novel then moves to the ninety-something year old Jacob in a nursing home. As the older Jacob fights to survive the indignities of old age he recounts the story of his life with the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on earth.
The story of Jacob Jankowski is told in flashback form...which I love. I particularly loved the setting of the book...a travelling circus in the 1930's during the Great Depression. What a rich and vibrant setting to have as the back drop of this tale. I learned so much about the circus, life on the train, performers, circus acts, roustabouts etc. I found it fascinating. I loved being drawn into the world of ringmasters, circus life, and side shows. Throw in a murder and a love story and it equals a fun read.
There were a few disturbing parts... the dwarf with the questionable comic book and the Amazing Barbara to name a few. But all in all I liked it. As a book club selection it did not disappoint in asking provocative questions about secrets, aging, and what REALLY happened. I love that!!
I rate it: GOOD
HAPPY READING!!


13 comments:
How fun to read book reviews of all our past book club books. I am dying over the lifetime movie reference. Jason's mom let us borrow some cheesy Christmas movies to watch in the car. One was the "Christmas Shoes" based on the novel by Donna VanLiere. My kids LOVED it and I must admit I shed a tear or two myself.
Great reviews. I still haven't read "The Other Bolyn Girl" so I'll have to check it out.
You know I love me some book reviews. I am not drawn to self-help or church books. So, I don't know how I'd receive Simplify but do enjoy good discussion on the Atonement.
New Moon and the entire triology. Books I love to hate and hate to love.
Water for Elephants. Blah. I hope you had a good discussion with some good dissent. Because there are some flaws, in my ever so humble former book club member opinion:)
Darn, I was hoping to see some "very goods" or could I dare hope for an "excellent"? I always enjoy a book if you give it the big thumbs up. I read "The Other Boleyn Girl" over Christmas break and enjoyed it. Like you, I did a bunch of research to find out what happened afterward . . .
I wondered what you thought of "Wideacre."
Na-
Wideacre...I had to stop reading it. I HATED it! I had to take it back to the library. Gross.
Thanks for the ups on these books! I'm really intrigued by the princess one. The "Water for Elephants" also sounds a little interesting. This motivates me to keep up on my READING!!! I love the reviews! Though don't know if you can get me to read anymore of the Twilight Series books BLAH!
I really liked the Other Boleyn Girl too. And I like to google historical characters also. I will have to read The Constant Princess.
I always think it's interesting to see different takes on books. I rated New Moon eh okay as well. I think you will like the last of the series the best (at least I did).
Hmmmm, I was waiting for some free time to get into it . . .
Looks like I won't bother!
I've been missing your reviews! I agree with all, except (as you know) I LOVED "Simplify." Carolyn Rasmus is coming here in March for Time Out For Women - I'm so excited!
You summed up how I felt about New Moon exactly. Why can't Bella just DIE already? I sort of reluctantly reccommend it to people bacause of the horrible writing and maddening redundancy. And yet . . . Edward.....
I'm always thrilled in a twisted sort of way when someone else doesn't like the "Twilight" books.
I think they're way over-rated, but then I think it is just me being unfashionable again. I didn't like cabbage patch dolls either--precisely because they were so popular!
Hey busy lady, could you add a few more to that list???? I am reading Eclipse right now and it's always a bummer knowing it's the last one so I am not really wanting to read it. I will try some of these though, I love reading book reviews but hate giving them so it works, thanks! :)
LOVE the new banner.
i do need to read more. dang, you are amazing!
Post a Comment