
This post was inspired by a hilarious email I recently received from my friend Tiffany. As the political season is in full swing it is time I admitted something. I love politics. I love talking about politics. I love arguing about politics. I love the debates. I love talk radio. I'm a geek. I know. So is Tyler. We are a matched pair. Tyler even woke me up in the middle of the night to let me know the results of the Iowa Caucus the other night.
Growing up I remember my parents taking an avid interest in politics. My parents were liberal Democrats and active in their political party. I remember lots of conversations about political issues, who they were voting for and why and who they couldn't stand and why. My mom worked on Dick Gephardt's campaign in the 80's. We were encouraged to take an interest in politics.
I remember being so excited to go and vote for the first time. I stood in line for forever. It was complicated and slightly confusing but I loved going to the polls. I of course was registered as a Democrat. This caused me no end of grief at BYU. Yes...I voted for Clinton...twice. I also voted for Gore. When Tyler and I got married we shared the same political views. We were both Democrats although we were on the conservative end of the Democratic spectrum. I remember both of us screaming and ranting at the TV when George W. Bush won the first time after a long and agonizing "hanging chad" debacle. We were irate!! My how things have changed.
As we had more children and 9/11 occurred we just kept sliding to the conservative right until we fell right off the democratic spectrum and landed at the more liberal end of the Republican spectrum. We registered as Republicans. Who knew? My family was appalled...still are. :)
This Presidential campaign is even more exciting because we know one of the candidates...Mitt Romney. Crazy. The first time I ever heard of Mitt Romney all that I knew about him was that he was Matt Romney's dad. Matt was in the dorms at DT with me and Tiffany. He was cute, funny and a nice guy.
For your viewing pleasure...

Matt...at the Morbid Center...aka the Morris Center.

DT Buddies...Tiffany and I are at the far right. Tiff is in pink and I am in purple and right above me is cute Matt.
Back to Tiffany's hilarious email. Whilst perusing Mitt's official website she came across the Five Brothers Blog (this is now on my favorites list) and was reading the blog entries from Matt. When suddenly her eagle eyes spotted none other than another one of our BYU college buddies, Greg. She emailed me and I found the picture and post and howled with laughter. In the above photo Greg is the one with his back to the camera wearing the "Lucky Strikes" shirt. They've aged pretty well. AND...for two very nosy girls it was fun to see both Matt, Greg, their wives and children. Because inquiring minds want to know. Right? ;)
Matt, Greg and Greg's son and wife...picture from the Five Brothers Blog
The second time I heard of Mitt Romney was when he stepped in to save the 2002 Winter Olympics and became Tyler's boss. That's right. Tyler was working for SLOC (Salt Lake Organizing Committee) doing venue design. His main project was the Soldier Hollow Olympic biathalon and cross country venue. Mitt was the President and CEO for the 2002 Winter Games. He did an amazing job and won Tyler's respect.
I remember going to the SLOC Christmas party, talking to Mitt and I think getting a good glimpse of the kind of guy he is. Tyler and I had a great time at the fancy party which was held at the U of U with a gorgeous view of downtown Salt Lake and catered by La Caille (I miss La Caille) anyway as we were leaving we saw Mitt...shirt sleeves rolled up...breaking down tables...stacking chairs...this is the President and CEO...and he was CLEANING!! I was shocked...you'd have thought he was at a ward dinner or something. He came over to chat with Tyler and I and asked us if we had had a good time etc. He was so nice and super friendly. I remember being very impressed.
I just think it is so funny that Tyler's former boss is running for president and that our buddies from BYU are on his website. Crazy.
I do think it says something that Tyler would vote for his old boss. How many of us have had bosses that we liked and respected? I have had very few. Let alone any that I would vote for. Now for my Uncle Steve's benefit who loves to say "You would vote for anyone if they were a Mormon" I say NO WAY! There is many a Mormon politician out there who I wouldn't vote for EVER. Orrin Hatch comes to mind. Harry Reid. But I like Mitt Romney and I think..."By their fruits ye shall know them" (Matthew 7:20)...great family...great boss...down to earth guy. So far so good. Go Mitt!!

13 comments:
Thanks for the insight on Mitt! You guys (or your friends) are pretty much famous :) I totally understand the whole democrat/republican thing hence I am the black sheep (or I should say white sheep) in Jake's fam. I could never win in a dinner conversation. So I do what any reasonable person would do & I don't say a word (well most of the time)......Though I definitely have my patriot, republican opinions :)
Great endorsement. It must be so frustrating for MItt to be going down in a flame of bigotry. I just wish the masses (or I mean media) would dismiss him because of his credentials and not his religion.
Go Mitt! We have tonight's debate recorded and are just waiting for the kids to go to bed so we can watch it. I can't believe the way he is being attacked by all the candidates. I am sure he is frustrated like Kelly A says.
I was reading your blog with interest--then I came to the picture of Matt with his roommate, Greg and let out a little shriek! Greg totally dated Kev's younger sister Deanna for the year before her mission! She met him when she was down here in CA living with Carolyn. What a crack up!! I love it when you make a blog connection. . .
I'm loving your new pink blog. Nice tribute to Mitt. You know I was not a huge Clinton fan. However, I have been walking the line between parties myself and voted democratic last time to boot. George W is disgusting on so many levels. Anyway, I'm behind Mitt too, even though I'm not sure he really has a shot. I'd forgotten all about Tyler working for the Olympic thing. I kind of like McCain too. Anyway, it was an enjoyable read.
I always love personal background on candidates. I agree with Kelly A.....find something to dislike about Mitt besides his religion!
Cool post. Beats the heck out of my "I saw Magic Johnson at the airport" celebrity story.
That is so neat you know his son! I like MR, and I hope people can get past the negatives mud slingin thrown out there on the LDS church, and go by his character!
Naomi!! That is crazy!! Small world.
Great endorsement! I think that all the negative attention Mitt is getting about his religion will work to his advantage. People are going to get tired of hearing the word Mormon and they will get tired of the people who are saying it.
Wow - I didn't know I knew someone that knew celebraties!!!
I love Mitt too. It is always good to hear great stories about him - if only the rest of the United States could see that side!!!!!
I'm the opposite of you. I've moved from right to center. I'm not left, and I've always been moderate, but I don't think I'll vote republican in this election. I think it's as dangerous to allow zealotry to rule as idolatry.
I wish there were a center candidate. Someone with just good common sense. I think Mitt has it, but I think he's making too many mistakes to get elected. I don't think he seems phony, but his missteps make him seem like it in the media.
I haven't decided who I'll vote fore yet. I really dislike some of the candidates, so I suppose it'll depend on who gets the nomination. Why didn't we ever talk politics? I like it too!
interesting post and i love the mitt stories.
Post a Comment