Friday, May 02, 2008

Obsessive



This is how I get when I learn about something new that REALLY interests me. I have to read all I can, learn all I can, see all I can. My latest obsession...the Navy. Well, really any of the armed forces. It's that darn book Lone Survivor that has done it to me. I am oozing patriotism. I saw some poor man in uniform in Albertson's the other day and I literally had to restrain myself from hugging him and gushing about how much I appreciate his service to our country. You can't even imagine the kind of books I have lined up to read...non-fiction, armed forces, delta force...who am I?

Imagine my literal GLEE when flipping through the channels on TV on Monday I came across this documentary by PBS. It tore me away from Dancing With the Stars!! I KNOW!! Crazy. Well...this documentary has been running all week. It's 10 hours long. PBS would play a couple of episodes a night. I have been up until the wee hours of the morning night after night completely absorbed by this amazing documentary.

Did anyone else see it? If not... you can go here and can watch it. It's fascinating. This reminds me of the last PBS documentary I got obsessive about...it was around 1997 I believe and it was called The Farmer's Wife.


Also life changing. That launched me on a gardening and preserving frenzy I have yet to recover from. If you haven't seen the Farmer's Wife I highly recommend it too.

Now I need to go crank up some Lee Greenwood and belt out "Proud to Be An American", say the pledge of Allegiance or go sew a flag or something.

Dinner Alert: Taco Time drive-thru

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I started the book based on your glowing recommendation, but my husband was on a business trip in Bahrain, so I had to stop reading until he was safely home from the Middle East!

Can't wait to get back to it and now a documentary too!

And now I can not wait to get my hands on Farmer's Wife. I was a sucker for 1900 House, and the one about WWII BBC did and PBS did Frontier House (I think?) a few years ago. Not documentaries, but reality shows (except done by PBS and BBC so not trashy) where they threw the people into the life.

I'm not much for moderation myself. Thanks for the recommendations!

Lara said...

Yeah, it is quite a moving book!

Unfortunately I'm not as patriotic as you - my only research consisted of watching the movie G.I. Jane.

It will be so great to discuss this book next week!

Valynn said...

Great post...I feel the same way too about our armed forces. Don't you just feel their strength, courage and patriotism when you see them in public dressed in their uniform? For me, there is something very humbling about it. I feel very indebted to them.

I love, love the song “Proud to be an American”. It is one of those songs that gets me every time. If you have ever been to a rodeo at the fair, they play that song while someone carries the flag on horseback around the arena. It is very moving.

KariAnn said...

Ditto! I loved the book and also am oozing patriotism! I'm so glad you liked it, I was worried because it was my recommendation, that it would be a bomb. It made me want to run out and enlist.

Carolyn said...

I also loved the book and have been paying special attention again to reports in the news about the Middle East. I can't believe how easy it was for me to forget that there are those risking EVERYTHING for the security of me and my family over there. Thanks to Marcus Luttrell for bringing back that feeling of pure love for my country, that same feeling I had after 9/11.

I can't wait for book group to discuss!