Thursday, March 18, 2021

COVID-19 Quarantine: Days 341-345

 Day 341: 2-17-21 (Wednesday)

Today was the big day for Bryn. She got to go back to school for the first time in 341 days! She is on a hybrid schedule. She was up at 5am! Boy, was she excited! 


She had a great day! She was so happy to be back and with her friends again. She was smiling and cheerful when we picked her up this afternoon. Yay! We took her to get a little treat afterward to celebrate.

It was sunny today. Blue sky, sun, and snow is a beautiful combination. Tyler and I walked in the sunshine and snow.

We also got some sad news... one of Kam's companions from online MTC and who also served in the same mission with Kam emailed that he will be heading home early. This elder has struggled with depression and anxiety. The isolation from COVID restrictions made the mission extremely difficult. He is a great kid. We have gotten his weekly emails and he is hilarious and has kept us in the loop as to the latest happenings in the Minneapolis mission as Kam does not. LOL. We looked forward to his emails every week. He also went through the temple the same day as Kam and his mom and I have been emailing since the boys were in the MTC together. My heart goes out to him. Missions are hard and missions during COVID are even harder. He plans to finish out his mission doing a service mission in his hometown. He is a great young man!

It is heartbreaking watching and hearing about what is happening in Texas with the deadly snow and ice storms. I know how horrible it is to be without power for days especially when it is cold. But I cannot even imagine how horrifying it would be to be in an area unequipped to deal with it. It's scary. I checked in with our Texas friends: Mary Jane, Eric, and Mary Beth. They are all are okay. Mary Beth is without power but is currently staying with Mary Jane and Eric who have a generator.

I sold my biggest and most expensive piece of furniture in my booth today! Sweet!

Day 342: 2-18-21 (Thursday)

Today is one of Bryn's off days from school. They are supposed to do homework on these days. She didn't have much. It's so weird.

Kameron messaged us early this morning. He said that he got transferred to a small town "in the boonies" called Princeton, Minnesota. His new companion has a reputation of being difficult. Uh-oh. They live in a converted garage that the missionaries call "The Shack". This should be interesting. Kam was cheerful and seemed up for the challenge. Good.


Kam's new digs! LOL.

The school district's wireless system is down today so none of the online classes for the high school students are working. The teachers aren't able to connect and stay connected. This is ridiculous.

Texas is breaking my heart. We donated.

I had to do a complete redo of my booth tonight. I took out all of the leftover Valentine décor and added in some new furniture. It started snowing/freezing rain while we were at Midtown Market. The roads were HORRIBLE coming home. It was absolutely terrifying.

Day 343: 2-19-21 (Friday)

Today is one of Bryn's alternating Fridays for attending school. Her "off " day yesterday was a complete waste. At the parents meeting, the school district explained that the "on" day for school would be all lecturing in the various subjects with no in class time to do work...that is what the off day is for. Bryn had about one hour of school work to do yesterday. She said that the teachers gave them class time to do their work at school. I feel like we are getting less "school" now than we did before...if that is even possible. I feel like all of the kids who have basically missed a year of in-person school are so far behind. I wonder what the future ramifications will be? 

I thought it was bad when they stopped teaching phonics when Reilly and Kameron were in elementary school. Both are terrible spellers. Thank goodness they brought it back when Ailey was in elementary. And...I thought it was awful when they stopped teaching cursive and now Ailey can't read any kind of historical document or anything in cursive. Thankfully they also brought that back when Bryn was that age. These are minor complaints to missing basically a FULL YEAR of school.

In better news...We started on our living room floor today! Woohoo! Good-bye carpet! I can't wait. We moved out all of our furniture and ripped up the carpet. That was quite the process.



I can't wait for these kitchen floors to go too! I loathe them.

We got our Yum box today and had a little indoor picnic. It was from the Ukraine. It was really good!! This has been one of our favorite boxes so far.


We tried:

Roasted Garlic Rye Chips: Good.
Wasabi Chip Strips: Fantastic! These were like long skinny wasabi flavored Pringles. 
Veal Adjika Chips: Pretty Good.
Sweetened Condensed Milk Cream Cakes: So-So. I love sweetened condensed milk and these didn't really taste like that.
Baked Milk and Dark Chocolate Wafer Bar: Delicious.
Fruit Juice Filled Caramel Toffees: Meh.
Juice Filled Fruit Jellies: Very good!
Creme Brulee Milk Chocolate Bar: Good!
Dark Chocolate Almond Wafer Bar: Delicious! My second favorite thing in the box.
Caramel White Chocolate Bubble Bar: Okay.
Fizzy Citrus Candies: Okay. Most countries seem to have these ZOT like candies.
Creamy Toffee Squares: Good.
Summer Fruit Jellies: Fabulous!! My favorite thing in the box!

Day 344: 2-20-21 (Saturday)


Tyler and the girls did an early morning donut run before undertaking the living room! Tyler and Ailey worked on the living room floor all day...and Bryn helped here and there too. 


Check out the lovely shades of the shag carpet that once graced this house. Yikes. I painted a big hutch in the garage for most of the day and made sure my little worker bees had food and drinks all day. The house is in chaos but the living room is looking awesome!



Day 345: 2-21-21 (Sunday)

Today began very early! Ward Conferences have begun. I met my friend Jen at the stake center at 9 am so that we could attend the first of the conferences. They run through March. It was fun to visit another ward and the speakers were great! My friend Annie (from my ward) was one of the speakers. After Sacrament Meeting we handed out some little gifts to all of the Primary kids.

After that I went home and picked up Bryn so that we could attend our ward's Sacrament Meeting. It was very weird being at church with just Brynnie. Tyler and Ailey livestreamed today. Our ward's primary went back today and I got to help with that...it was a little chaotic...but not too bad. Bryn had a presidency meeting after church.

Tyler and Ailey finished the floors and they look FANTASTIC! It is like a whole different house! It is SO BEAUTIFUL! We moved all of the furniture back and then celebrated with a *dinner* of buttered cheerios and malted milk shakes. We were all way too tired to cook!

Before:



After:


I am loving it!

0 comments: