Thursday, June 17, 2021

June: Day 6

 Day 6: Someone I love

My sister-in-law Meki

Of course I could list all kinds of people here: Tyler, my kids, my mom, my brother, friends, Jesus etc. But there is one person who while always being a loving sister to me has stepped up even more in my life and that is Meki. I am so grateful for her friendship and sisterhood. Meki has many amazing qualities but the one that I love the most is her ability to gather people, love, and nurture them. She gathers so many people and brings them into her family and loves them like no one I've ever seen. Holidays at Kirk and Meki's house include ex-spouses, ex-in-laws, friends, people who lived with her as a youth that her dad took in when they needed a home, Tyler's brother, wife, and daughter, Tyler's sister...and the list goes on and on. It is inspiring. Once you are part of Meki's circle she never lets you go. You are her family forever. (Kirk is really good at this too!) When Reilly lived in Utah they showered her with so much love, support, and affection. She still basks in it. Doesn't everyone need people like this in their lives? I know that I do. Especially now.

When I have been in the midst of the darkest days... death of my mother, family betrayal, heart surgeries, and all of the lonely scary COVID times... Meki has been a cheerleader and support. She has "sistered" me and shown me what true sisterly love looks like. Turns out I have never experienced it. She has "mothered" me. She said things to me while in those dark times that I saved and wrote down and looked back on. Those words gave me strength when I was drowning in fear during Tyler's two heart procedures. I read those words over and over again. 

Meki cries with me. She laughs with me. She cheers me on. She sits with me in grief. She loves whole-heartedly and unconditionally. She loves and champions my children and "Aunts" them like they have never been loved and championed before by any of their aunts. She is a cohort, ally, and partner in crime with Tyler and as the two favorite "in-laws" and they have a special bond. She loves my brother dearly. I couldn't have hand picked a better spouse for him. She is an incredible mother to all of their children. Meki is the kind of person that you want in your corner. She is truly the best and I am so grateful to have her in my life! She inspires me to be a better person. A more inclusive person. A more loving person. A gatherer. 


0 comments: